HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:09 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
445 Posts
Contest
SVSS ALES Saturday March 30th is a GO!

Well I called off our first SVSS ALES event last Saturday, and word from the field was that the weather was bad to awful. Now tomorrow is showing light winds, temps in 70ís, and at worst a minor chance of 0.01 inches of rainÖ. I think we fly!

The registration desk will open at 9am tomorrow, Saturday, and weíll have our pilotís meeting at 9:30. Same rules as last year, but it looks like we have a number of new flyers so weíll want to have some time for Q&A. My top rule is Safety, and itís all fun after that.

We will still be serving chili cheese dogs and chiliburgers around noon for $5.

Entry fee is $10, and please bring your AMA card since AMA membership is required.

Scores will be submitted to the ALES League. Our Mr. Jim Thomas came in second last year nationally. Other notable members included Mac Powell in 8th, Steve Henke in 12th, Kirk Stockham in 14th, Scott Tomasello in 15th, and yours truly in 19th. These arenít just local scores; this was nationally with more than 300 participants in the League.

Letís get the 2013 season off to a great start! See you there!

For directions, visit SVSS.org
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:02 PM
Good for what ALES you
Joined Jan 2009
445 Posts
After the postponement last week, I was a bit anxious when the NOAA was reporting a chance of rain yesterday, but we couldn't have asked for a nicer day. Very light winds at the start, mostly cloud cover, but great temps all day. We had 17 contestants, including three who came out for their first SVSS ALES yesterday, Jerry Molner, Chad Lathe, and Steve Bechtold.

We had some rounds with spec'd out planes, and others where everyone seemed to be scrambling. JT was leading the pack through the third round when a broken solder joint took him out. Scott Woodward took the lead spot and I was on his heels, when we had a very tough final 5th round. The wind had picked up and Kipp's plane was the first to leave the runway but it lost a prop and then the motor and Kipp was heroically working to bring it down safely. The rest of the field now faced even more challenges as we kept one eye on our planes and the other watching the rescue. In the end, regular, Mac Powell, pulled out front and newcomer Jerry Molner took second with SBSS' Brian Chan taking third.

Kudos to Ron for our great looking field, and to Sheldon who kept the event moving at a great pace. Special thanks to Kevin who kept the crowd well fed with chili dogs and burgers.

Here are the scores, and these have also been posted to the ALES League for their standings.

--Aric
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:57 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
782 Posts
Aric, nice work to you and the SVSS ALES team for such a smooth event. Awesome thermal conditions and awesome lunch too.

Even though I didn't fly in the contest it was nice to have a winch set up and allow some of us non-E guys to fly. Thanks for allowing it. As far as I could see the winch pilots did a good job staying out of the way of the contest fliers.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Apr 01, 2013, 06:46 PM
Mexico
Joined May 2004
225 Posts
Sailpanes?

What did the top pilots fly?

All the best

Luis
Luis Moya is offline Find More Posts by Luis Moya
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,090 Posts
2nd place was a 2 meter Pulsar (I believe).
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:29 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude View Post
As far as I could see the winch pilots did a good job staying out of the way of the contest fliers.
Curious, were the sport flying gliders "marking thermals" before the ALES group launches?
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
Good for what ALES you
Joined Jan 2009
445 Posts
I didn't see too much thermal marking going on, in fact the TD pilots were very good about avoiding launches during the ALES countdown. One flight I did get really annoyed because I thought a TD plane was doing pirouettes in our landing zone but it turned out to be a 3.7m ALES plane.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:08 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan View Post
Curious, were the sport flying gliders "marking thermals" before the ALES group launches?
During the first 1/2 of the contest a few of us were using a short bungee at the far south end of the field and doing low-alt work; nobody seemed interested in joining us in circles 200' off the ground. Later we did use the winch but the ALES gaggle always seemed to be in a different part of the sky.

Bob, FYI, during our December club (mini)meeting we agreed to allow a single winch for fun fliers contingent on not causing obvious problems. So far it's worked well. This was suggested as an alternative to moving ALES contests to Sundays since we're trying to adapt to everyone's best weekend day for flying (for SVSS it's clearly Saturday; other clubs seem more able to use Sundays).

Chris B.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
702 Posts
Wow.. The alternative for us ALES guys would be to move us to Sunday if it didn't work out? Am I reading this correctly?
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:18 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hobbies View Post
Wow.. The alternative for us ALES guys would be to move us to Sunday if it didn't work out? Am I reading this correctly?
No no no! That wasn't accepted as a valid option so a compromise was suggested by one of our members. Saturdays are still it for ALES contests! We have just added a single fun fly winch for the small number of non-ALES pilots who can only make it to the field on Saturdays.

Chris B.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
Believe me, after a rather spirited discussion Sunday was a non-starter.

At last saturdays ALES contest the non-E guys set up a winch and I think 4 pilots were using it. I did not witness any conflicts. ALES pilots are pretty good in the crowded flight environment of mass launching and landing so the winch fliers were really not even that noticeable. Also, many times they were too low to be of use for marking when we were launching to 200 meters. At least on that day, there were more birds marking the sky than TD fliers.

SVSS ALES has pretty much settled on a three flight group seeded format for rounds. It really works well. With three flight groups there is never a problem finding a timer, contestants get a break every so often, and the contest still moves along fast enough to allow for five 10 minute rounds plus a lunch between rounds 3 and 4. Also the seeded format makes for some interesting flight group placements as the highest scoring pilots end up flying against each other. After looking at the landing zone and how the winch was set up and figuring the three flight group format SVSS ALES could accomodate at least 30 pilots in a contest before the winch would have to move over to the side of the field. I really dont think there would be any field problems until over 40 pilots and thats not going to happen at monthly contests for a long time. We had 17 pilots last saturday, 15-30 is probably where it will settle out, just like our TD monthly contests.

One new thing we did try last saturday was to allow restart to avoid long walks. But it was too easy to stop the clock right on 10 minutes, power up to get back from way off the field only losing the potential landing points. I'm pretty sure a penalty of some sort is going to be instituted if we allow the restart rule in the future.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Apr 02, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
702 Posts
Thanks Steve for the update. Glad it's settled and works for everyone involved. Scott and I can't make Sundays usually so we were a bit worried with what we have been reading and what was put in the newsletter. I just spent a nice bit of change on a E-Supra ALES rig and want to make sure we can fly them.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Steve for the update. Glad it's settled and works for everyone involved. Scott and I can't make Sundays usually so we were a bit worried with what we have been reading and what was put in the newsletter. I just spent a nice bit of change on a E-Supra ALES rig and want to make sure we can fly them.
John,

Missed you and Scott last saturday. A very good day, perfect spring weather but last round was very challenging. We did have three new first time ALES pilots. One of them placed 2nd. Also some excitement when Kip's new E-Sharon threw a prop on launch and then the motor exited as well. It was making a lot of noise on launch so I was watching the whole thing. He saved it in a very tail heavy mode with some cool thinking. minimal damage. Kip sure likes the high power setups but thats about the 3rd prop he's thrown, could be those 5S batterys and big motors? Maybe we'll all pass the hat and get him a RFM prop. Never a dull moment

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:16 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
John,

Missed you and Scott last saturday. A very good day, perfect spring weather but last round was very challenging. We did have three new first time ALES pilots. One of them placed 2nd. Also some excitement when Kip's new E-Sharon threw a prop on launch and then the motor exited as well. It was making a lot of noise on launch so I was watching the whole thing. He saved it in a very tail heavy mode with some cool thinking. minimal damage. Kip sure likes the high power setups but thats about the 3rd prop he's thrown, could be those 5S batterys and big motors? Maybe we'll all pass the hat and get him a RFM prop. Never a dull moment

Steve
5s????
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
5s????

We love you Kipp! Someone pass the hat.