HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:33 PM
flypiggyfly...ya ya
USA, WI, Sturgeon Bay
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Question
Merco 61 vs Veco 61

I am asking which has more power, the Merco 61 or the Veco 61. 60s 70s vintage. Please don't chime in unless you know about these engines. Thanks guys!
wizzinbya is offline Find More Posts by wizzinbya
Last edited by wizzinbya; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:23 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,155 Posts
I had an old Merco .61 (w/ twin glow plugs)...very reliable engine, but never flew with a Veco .61 so sorry, I'm no help!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
642 Posts
Both are reliable engines. The deciding factor is parts availability. Parts for Merco engines are much harder to get than the Veco/K&B. The Veco/K&B engines are well supported by MECOA plus there is the availability of parts engines on Fleecebay. The 1972 Veco is the same as the current production K&B .61. Ebay engines range from NIB to parts donors. The average price for a used, good condition Veco is in the $40 - $60 range while a NIB vintage 1974 Veco will go for around $90 - $100.

I like Merco engines but if it breaks, I have a paperweight.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:18 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
I am chiming in to ring a bell that the OP is asking about a power comparison.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:57 PM
flypiggyfly...ya ya
USA, WI, Sturgeon Bay
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
I am chiming in to ring a bell that the OP is asking about a power comparison.

Zor
Thank you Zor...yes it is a question of power...I have both and don't remember which one was the stronger of the two. Going in a old pattern ship!
wizzinbya is offline Find More Posts by wizzinbya
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,050 Posts
A lot depends on which Merco you have. The Mk 1 developed about .86HP while the Mk 4 was up around 1.2HP with no muffler. The only Veco I have a test of was the earlier German made HB Veco which was a little different to the American Veco but was considered to be more powerful because of a larger carb and no loss (venturi) muffler. That developed 1.1HP while the Merco Mk 4 with a very restrictive muffler was just under 1HP. There's probably not much between the two but personally I'd go for the Merco although your chances of finding a suitable muffler are probably better with the Veco.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:39 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Because the OP is asking about the 70 - 80's Merco vs Veco - I can advise that when I flew them - the Merco was the plodding lower power, lower revving of the two. In fact the Merco was about the most plodding 60 out at that time ... I even had a marine version ... same ! Heavy, dependable.

BUT I loved the Merco as it never let me down. I used it for my Nieuport 28 Scale machine with a remote dustbin silencer instead of the supplied bolt on. It turned a 13" prop and the sound was best you could get for such a model.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:55 PM
Whipstall
Joined Aug 2006
36 Posts
Merco vs Veco

Hi Wizz,
I hope that I can help you with your decision . I bought both the Veco and Merco new in the late 70's. The Veco was installed upright in a Sterling P-63 and the Merco was mounted inverted in a Top Flite P-40. Both planes ran a 11x7 or 12x6 prop. I would say that for top end power, I would give it to the Veco. It turned a few more RPMs. I believe that it had alittle more compression than the Merco and most likely alittle bit more advanced port timimg. With that said, I have fond memories of the Merco. Always started on the 2nd or 3rd flip, an outstanding low end idle and reliable running. I have to agree that finding parts for the Merco will be a challenge.I also remember that Supertiger and Rossi were some strong running 60's. Unless I am wrong, I think that the Merco was alittle heavier than the Veco . Good Luck!
Gene Turk is offline Find More Posts by Gene Turk
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:01 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,155 Posts
Did the Merco need nitro? I know most English engines use 5% at most....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:09 PM
Whipstall
Joined Aug 2006
36 Posts
Merco vs Veco

I ran my Merco on 5-10% nitro. No problem with glo plug living
Gene Turk is offline Find More Posts by Gene Turk
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Turk View Post
Hi Wizz,
I hope that I can help you with your decision . I bought both the Veco and Merco new in the late 70's. The Veco was installed upright in a Sterling P-63 and the Merco was mounted inverted in a Top Flite P-40. Both planes ran a 11x7 or 12x6 prop. I would say that for top end power, I would give it to the Veco. It turned a few more RPMs. I believe that it had alittle more compression than the Merco and most likely alittle bit more advanced port timimg. With that said, I have fond memories of the Merco. Always started on the 2nd or 3rd flip, an outstanding low end idle and reliable running. I have to agree that finding parts for the Merco will be a challenge.I also remember that Supertiger and Rossi were some strong running 60's. Unless I am wrong, I think that the Merco was alittle heavier than the Veco . Good Luck!
The Supertigre Bluehead as it was called early days of the ST61 became the ABC 61 and was a screaming powerhouse with a pipe on .... I had a couple of them ... one on a WOT4 - vertical out of hand .. other swapped between my Mirage 200 and Skymaster Biplane.

Rossi were of course famous for their rear exhaust aerobatic stuff .. and beautiful engines.
But the ST61 and Rossi were touchy on needle setting ... especially when piped.

The Merco though just plodded on through !! But it was not so economical on fuel ... like most plodders ...

Very fond memories indeed !

Nigel
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:31 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Did the Merco need nitro? I know most English engines use 5% at most....
English engines ... ? having used both UK, Italian, Jap etc. I would say that the most tolerant of no nitro was the UK ones. The Jap engines I found liked nitro for throttle response as they were generalyy FSR's ... the Italian as well as they were aerobatics jobs.

Most people in UK in those days used 5 - 10% in their fuel purely because it was what most people used ... !! Irvine engines seemed to like a touch of Nitro ... but other than those .. basic fuel was good enough.

Like most though - nitro and use of synthetic instead of castor would run sweeter.

Nigel