Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:52 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,889 Posts
Wow! Its not my plane but thanks for that Sentry! That is a a great illistration of what makes this forum so great... people like you helping others.
snipeworm is offline Find More Posts by snipeworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:55 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
yes SENTRY has given me a lot of confidence in finding my plane... i will hope for the best....

so I've found a little how to preload maps and use my iphone for gps up there.

http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

I was wondering about the where's my car app.. anyone have any experience using this without signal? would it just show white and still give me the right direction to my car?
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:22 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Test kmz file.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Oct 04, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:24 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Are are all of the lines showing up for you guys? If not I'll redo it.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:16 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
hey that looks good!! this is how it shows up for me..

I wonder if I should hit up the state park guys at cascade lake print up some lost fliers?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:29 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Kool - if you rotate it properly you can EASILY see that yellow ridge-line chopping you out as you came down the other ridge just north of the Lake.

The problem with flyers is that it just doesn't seem like a well-traveled area. The lack of uploaded Google Images, and the lack of finished passageways in/out of there tells me that. But it could be differnt on the ground. In fact, the place I set for you to park - I bet there'll be obvious signs that others may have used that for a parking area to hike to those lakes.

Check Craigs-list lost/found - print out this pic and divide it up with the boys so you can cover ground (and trees) systematically so you can share data of where you've searched.

North is up - and that's the northern edge of Raft lake.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:23 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
does that z2 pin represent the areas where i would have started to go out of radio los?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:37 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,376 Posts
Actually, the far ends of the red lines (on the slope) represent the edge of LoS.
The Z2 marker is some distance below that, representing some distance it flew after LoS.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:04 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Yes, although I put that point another couple hundred yards upslope.

ian
I'd say a coupla hundred yards at 8km and we are both right on top of the plane.

This is assuming he was still riding that ridge down trying to be a showoff (LOL) - and also assuming that he still had home off of the right wing anywhere from 1 to 90 degrees (depending on actual trajectory). My guess is that home was actually 1 - 45 degrees off to the right of the nose when the lights went out.

To the OP... the thick yellow line is where you misjudged... there is a ridge there - JUSSSST enough to pinch you out if you were riding that ridge low. Looking straight ahead (North) it would have been easy to miss that ridge as you were flying. Checking towards home before you started that ridge-ride you would have caught it (or *I* would have caught it - LOL).

Here's a better look at what chopped you up. This is looking towards the crash site from the launch. Watch what happens to the yellow line (ridge) and the z2 pin as I drop altitude.

7000ft (asl, not AGL)

:
6000ft (asl, not AGL)

:
5000-ft (asl, not AGL)

That ridge is 2.8 miles out - you were just about a mile (or more) past that and dropping alt. There was really no other way for this one to end up.

The google Earth altitudes not being accurate really don't matter. What's matters is the terrain and that your LOS to the crash site get's erased as you drop alt running that ridge.

I could show the same thing from the planes perspective - only this time your launch coordinates pin would disappear instead of the crash area.
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Oct 05, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:09 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
I could show the same thing from the planes perspective - only this time your launch coordinates pin would disappear instead of the crash area.
Which means the way to search in person is to hike up onto the main mountain behind the ridge
(with a GPS unit that'll record a track), until you can *just* see the launch location through
a set of binocs over the edge of the ridge. Then hike across the mountain laterally
always maintaining the edge of LoS back to the launch location. Once you've established
a lateral track, start a search pattern back and forth across the mountain below the
first track. It's a lot of terrain to cover. It'll be steep and potentially nasty. Bring supplies
for a serious hike, and don't do it alone. Oh, and don't rely on cell phone GPS.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:52 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
thank you guys for a seriously huge help.. I had planned on actually getting to the path by skein lake and hiking roughly 3000isch feet and about 1000 feet elevation climb to the first peak.. then it would be almost like i was flying and i might recall exactly where i turned... and have a really good vantage point, maybe we'd even see it from up there.... instead of heading straight into trees trying to cover tons of ground at first... thoughts?

I so far only have 1 buddy up for the journey and we plan on sticking together with some protection... from what i've been reading i can preload amap into my phone and use it's gps atleast, no cell signal required... I'm trying to convince my ice climbing buddy to come, was his idea to walk along the peaks... not too worried about getting lost, lots of landmarks up there..

lastly, I realize the huge mistake I made everywhere with this flight... think I learned enough.... I didn't even think id make it to the peak once i was 5km out and looked so far still... once I was up there I had the sort of screw it mentality since I made it that far... on the ground it looks like one slope of trees and didn't think about los at all..

trying to show off? yea probably, i like the adrenaline rush too and I am so bored of local flying... maybe in 6 months or so I can do a flight like this with success! at the very least being able to find the plane, I will plan it out much better next time..
Last edited by dr_patso; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:49 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
if I was there I'd gear up with you - take one of my 40" Ele Bees and try to get a launch up there to look around and have you ride shotgun to see what you remember. I totally feel like your rig is recoverable if it's not a swamp up there.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_patso View Post
thank you guys for a seriously huge help.. I had planned on actually getting to the path by skein lake and hiking roughly 3000isch feet and about 1000 feet elevation climb to the first peak.. then it would be almost like i was flying and i might recall exactly where i turned... and have a really good vantage point, maybe we'd even see it from up there.... instead of heading straight into trees trying to cover tons of ground at first... thoughts?

I so far only have 1 buddy up for the journey and we plan on sticking together with some protection... from what i've been reading i can preload amap into my phone and use it's gps atleast, no cell signal required... I'm trying to convince my ice climbing buddy to come, was his idea to walk along the peaks... not too worried about getting lost, lots of landmarks up there..

lastly, I realize the huge mistake I made everywhere with this flight... think I learned enough.... I didn't even think id make it to the peak once i was 5km out and looked so far still... once I was up there I had the sort of screw it mentality since I made it that far... on the ground it looks like one slope of trees and didn't think about los at all..

trying to show off? yea probably, i like the adrenaline rush too and I am so bored of local flying... maybe in 6 months or so I can do a flight like this with success! at the very least being able to find the plane, I will plan it out much better next time..
Dude seriously, buy a new plane, it's not like your son was on that thing.
This could turn into the first person killed in a FPV related incident.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,376 Posts
It's only a mile and 1200ft altitude gain from the road to the top of the mountain
and a few hundred yards square search area. I've hiked further for a plane. But
no hike in the forest should be taken lightly which is why you don't do it alone.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:46 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,468 Posts
Just go onto another plane and don't waste your time and effort

Next time you have learned from your loss and need not to loose a plane

Consider your lost plane as a god send as you not hurt anyone

.thinkmabout why you lost your plane and why

Next time set up plane that does not have problems

Eventually you will have basically officiant plane that does not break down

Or pilot error has experience that has enough experience not to loose plane

Blame it on yourself as you do as a man, and take the loss

Learn like a man and go on to other fpv experiences

Looking for fpv planes can be a waste of time

,this is an expensive hobby and well worth it to put efforts into future endeavours

Look for plane but don't go overboard and waste too much time or others time

Unless you like to loose planes and look for them all the time

Your problem is you push the limits and lost your plane

You know that and should learn from pushing limits

Don't be cry baby and wonder where your plane is if younpushnlimmitsmor have poor set up that don't dogmas you expect

You fly long range from mountain to mountain and should expect tomloosenplqne because of poor set up
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)