HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Township
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I used around 65% throttle. Full stick wasnt super fast but I also had the prop on backwards. When I cut throttle it still glided a little but it wanted to come down. I just trimmed it out better so I hope she flys a little better.

I could never get my f4u to fly very well so I cant really do a before and after comparison of the conversion. I have to play with the cg a little still but so far so good. This has been the longest my f4u has flown so far.

I was thinking of swapping over to a p51 or t-28 so I could reinforce the wings easier. Anyone have a good mod for reinforcing the wings of the f4u? I was thinking about adding packaging tape to the leading edge of the wing but I'm not sure if thats gonna be enough. I already added the 1mm cf to both the tail pieces.

Anyone have an idea or a source for a small bomd or fuel tank that I can velcro to the bottom to use as a battery cover? I was thinking about looking at model plane parts but I'm not sure what scale to look at.
Tommy21781xxx is offline Find More Posts by Tommy21781xxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
You are not the first to put a 2s brushless setup in this plane, but might be the first for AS3x. Since it now has more power than it could ever need, you could afford to beef up the wing by putting tape on the underside. That should help to reduce the flexing.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Yeah, I just broke the wing off. I'm thinking of doing a p51 or t28 swap just b/c I think the wings look stronger. At least it would be easier to add a piece of cf to the wing. I could do the dual servo on one of these birds.

I wonder if I could do a single servo with the as3x board.Has anyone tried this yet?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
Dang, I was getting all excited about your adventure, because I have a totaled SBach sitting here with the electronics looking for a home. Beefing up the wing of a Corsair is definitely a challenge. The parkflyer PZ Corsair has the same weakness, and many people (including myself) have made aluminum wing spars to take care of it.

At this point you don't have much to lose by experimenting some more. Why not glue the wing back together and try reinforcing it with some fiberglass packing tape on the underside? I bet that would do the trick.

Did it happen in mid-flight, or was it a crash?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I crashed her. Lost it in the sun. I just ca'ed it back together. I'm gonna grab a new wing and wrap it in packaging tape. You should do a quick swap. This was my first attempt at a micro plane mod. I have done a ton a mcpx mods and I'm just getting the plane addiction as we speak. I'm sure you guys could do a way better job then me. My little conversion only took about an hour or so.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:20 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Dang, I was getting all excited about your adventure, because I have a totaled SBach sitting here with the electronics looking for a home. Beefing up the wing of a Corsair is definitely a challenge. The parkflyer PZ Corsair has the same weakness, and many people (including myself) have made aluminum wing spars to take care of it.

At this point you don't have much to lose by experimenting some more. Why not glue the wing back together and try reinforcing it with some fiberglass packing tape on the underside? I bet that would do the trick.

Did it happen in mid-flight, or was it a crash?
Rather than tape, how hard would it be to take a piece of basswood, soak it, bend it appropriately, then glue to the underside of the wing right along the COG line? With a little shaping, it would have minimal impact on the airfoil (since it is already UC) and should be plenty strong enough. I doubt you'd have to go all the way to the wing tip - maybe just an inch or two past the servos.

whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Rather than tape, how hard would it be to take a piece of basswood, soak it, bend it appropriately, then glue to the underside of the wing right along the COG line?
That would work. I did something like that on the Mustang but it was in 2 sections and didn't join through the fuselage.

The reason I am hesitating to put the brushless motor in is because it will be a completely different airplane, and will lose that sweet floaty quality because of the heavier battery. What is really needed is a 1s motor that is just a little more powerful. The new MSRx has such a motor, that is the same diameter but longer. Of course you would have to change out the 8-tooth pinion for the 9-tooth one. Reports I have heard is that it is not any more reliable than the MSR motor.

Is the SX motor the same length as the stock one? If that is the case, then the MSRx motor might be significantly more powerful. You probably already know this, but the Corsair/Mustang motor is the same as the MSR main blade motor, and is also the same as the tail rotor motor on the 120SR. Apparently, the one on the MSRx is more powerful.

I wonder what would happen if a guy used a motor from a MCPx. Would the FET's on the Corsair board be able to handle the extra current? That would definitely have more power and solve the tail-heavy issue.
Last edited by Jovanx; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
A couple thoughts here:
1) I agree w/ you on going brushless and 2S - I don't think it's necessary on this bird. LIke you, I like the floaty scale flying characteristics.
2) The MSRX motor is actually longer than the stock UM Corsair/P51 motors and has a gear on the end with a different number of teeth. I don't know what the diameter is, but I think it is slightly thinner - but could be wrong on that. The bigger issue would be getting it in. I had a devil of a time getting the old motor out and new one in due to the foam "wall" underneath the brick. I ended up cutting enough of it out to wedge the old motor out and the new one in.

I want to wait to see the new Spitfire set up and see if there's an opportunity - down the line - to get the Spit guts into the corsair. LIke Tommy, I swapped out the aileron servos with the AS3X compatable ones from my old GeeBee (only because I had them lying around). For me, power is less an issue than the ability to get a little more wind tolerance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
The wood idea is a good one. I already glued and taped the wing. I added tape to both side the even things out. I think the wing might be stronger then before, well at least theres less flex. I'm gonna fly it until the bird is dead, then rebuild and do it again.

Next time, I'm gonna use a oval shape piece of balsa for my motor mount. It should be a little easier to install and look a little better to.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Keep us posted on your project - you've sparked some interest here, particularly the impact of AS3X - go fly that sucker in the wind!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
will do. I did the maiden yesterday and there was 10 to 15 mph winds and it handeled pretty good. I wont be able to fly today but I will try and get a few flights in this weekend.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:50 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
be curious how that wing holds up! That's a lot of weight and a lot of power.
IOW, like the full-sized Corsair.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I took the as3x f4u and it flew great. The bird has a ton of power and is pretty stable. I did crash due to pilot error but besides for that it was a good flight.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:18 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,784 Posts
I would like to see that as3x setup in a UM Stang with an asymetrical wing. Good stuff.
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:04 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Sub'ed
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE