HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:55 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Never gave this much thought until I started trying to pick things up with the micro-grapple, but is anyone else experiencing gyro drift? About 3 minutes into a flight I'll run out of right trim trying to keep it from piroing slowly. I've tried rebinding with the stock Tx trim full left/center/full right, but nothing changes. I did bind it to my DX7 also, and it required 50 right subtrim to start, and even then it'll use up most of the right trim by the end of the flight.

Is there something I'm missing or need to try yet? Or should I be looking at getting a new board from HH?
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:11 AM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Never gave this much thought until I started trying to pick things up with the micro-grapple, but is anyone else experiencing gyro drift? About 3 minutes into a flight I'll run out of right trim trying to keep it from piroing slowly. I've tried rebinding with the stock Tx trim full left/center/full right, but nothing changes. I did bind it to my DX7 also, and it required 50 right subtrim to start, and even then it'll use up most of the right trim by the end of the flight.

Is there something I'm missing or need to try yet? Or should I be looking at getting a new board from HH?
Thank goodness I am not alone!

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. After 5-6 flights which were great I am seeing what you are seeing. Try this trick: fly the heli for 3 minutes until it develops a drift. Then land it, disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. See if it fixes the drift. For me it does! Which tells me this is a defective board. I contacted HH but the person on the phone was reluctant to do anything and was saying something like the motors may be bad. When I told him "how come if I reconnect the battery it fixes things" he didn't say anything.
dimastep is offline Find More Posts by dimastep
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:01 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimastep View Post
Thank goodness I am not alone!

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. After 5-6 flights which were great I am seeing what you are seeing. Try this trick: fly the heli for 3 minutes until it develops a drift. Then land it, disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. See if it fixes the drift. For me it does! Which tells me this is a defective board. I contacted HH but the person on the phone was reluctant to do anything and was saying something like the motors may be bad. When I told him "how come if I reconnect the battery it fixes things" he didn't say anything.
Yep, that works! Must be heat related in some way then. I'll call HH and see if they can help out, as the grapple thing is tough enough without not having enough rudder trim.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Yep, that works! Must be heat related in some way then. I'll call HH and see if they can help out, as the grapple thing is tough enough without not having enough rudder trim.
I think it may be voltage related. When the battery is at peak voltage it acts differently than otherwise.

I sent you a PM
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:53 PM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
[QUOTE=dimastep;14015230]I think it may be voltage related. When the battery is at peak voltage it acts differently than otherwise.

This sounds about right, after a few minutes on a battery my mCX and s300 drift worse as the battery gets weaker, and more power is applied.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:12 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
[QUOTE=SeaDog-Chief;14018558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimastep View Post
I think it may be voltage related. When the battery is at peak voltage it acts differently than otherwise.

This sounds about right, after a few minutes on a battery my mCX and s300 drift worse as the battery gets weaker, and more power is applied.
Yeah but in your case the cause may be different as it is the weak battery that causes it. Plus in case of Tandem if I unplug the battery and plug it back in the issue is fixed for the rest of the flight. So it sounds like gyro is screwed up at at the beginning due to high voltage and it needs to be powered off and back on with lower voltage to work properly.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:04 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,763 Posts
I never get this problem with my mCX and i use the rubbish FlightMax 138mah's! So it can't be a voltage issue across all mCX's.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:14 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Pretty sure it's heat related, not voltage. If I run it with a 150 until I run out of trim, then quickly plug in a freshly charged 240 it'll be fine for the full 7 minutes of flight. Once the board/gyro/chip is warmed up it's stable, but there is a definite trim shift from when it's cold.

I'll call HH on Monday and see if there's a fix or workaround.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,763 Posts
I get that, it's just the motors giving different performance whilst warming up.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 05:26 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
I get that, it's just the motors giving different performance whilst warming up.
I must have had a glass of stupid today, because I don't understand what that has to do with anything.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,763 Posts
As in i get yawing from motors giving different outputs (performance) whilst warming up like you said.

No hang on, i've had a glass of stupid and read your post wrong, sorry!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,885 Posts
I have the exact same yaw drift issue after about 1 minute of flight. I also land, disconnect battery. Center all trims, and re-connect battery. This is my flight procedure every time. Good thing I like to land and TO!

I cannot verify if it is tempurature, because I do not yet have two batteries. I would like to fly two batteries back to back to see if it is a "warming up" issue.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I have the exact same yaw drift issue after about 1 minute of flight. I also land, disconnect battery. Center all trims, and re-connect battery. This is my flight procedure every time. Good thing I like to land and TO!

I cannot verify if it is tempurature, because I do not yet have two batteries. I would like to fly two batteries back to back to see if it is a "warming up" issue.
I'd suggest you contact Horizon. The more people tell them about the problem the more likely they'll fix it and/or provide replacement parts. As it stands they don't acknowledge the issue.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:44 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
291 Posts
A no no in the flight envelope. Take the heli up to about twenty feet and then reduce power for a fast drop. At the last moment, increase power to make the landing soft and watch the Rescue become uncontrollable. It will happen every time in this situation so please avoid.
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aox View Post
I figured someone else would figure this out, and haven't posted, but it looks like it's not general knowledge yet.

The "heli doesn't turn X direction fast enough" issue is very fixable.

Plug your battery in and take a look at the bird. Now, it uses different speeds of the rotors to turn, and when you use rudder, you don't see any movement of the swashes.

However, you can increase left and right authority of either rotor blades. The post earlier in this thread of what the HH support said clicked for me.

"So, how do I make it go, Aox?", you may ask. Here's the thing. Look at the bird from the back. When you give left aileron, you see the two swashes move, correct? Now, after looking at the swashes move, since mine didn't turn LEFT very well, I figure, what if I give the link to front swash a couple turns of trim to make it swing left, like left aileron, and what if I adjust the back swash to give it some extra right, like right aileron.

Well hell, that did it right there. Also, by adjusting the front or rear swash links, if your tandem is turning around its front or rear rotor, you can adjust that out, and make the tandem turn in its midpoint. If your heli piros around its midpoint already, make the same adjustment to both front and rear swash. If it piros around the front rotor, the front rotor needs more turning authority, and if it piros around the rear, same thing.

Now, I think I still have an unrelated issue, as in ALL trims, and ALL manner of flying my tandem has a very slight right rudder. I was trying to get rid of this slow turn by adjusting, but the adjustments have only increased steering authority to the right or left, and doesn't seem to do anything with the midpoint of the gyro. It doesn't seem to matter to the hold feature what type of trim you have on your swash, it's going to moderate the speed of the coaxial rotors to keep it on the proper heading, not use aileron on swash.

I was able to adjust my turning so both left and right turns have the same authority and speed, and piros are the same speed, right and left. Before, like I said, I could not turn left well at all, and left piros were very slow. Right was pretty quick.

So, theoretically, anyone with a turning issue can adjust the links that provide left and right aileron to fix said issue.

Make any sense at all? I can elaborate if I have been less than clear. I believe this is the fix. Can someone try this and let me know if it worked for them as well?

-Aox
Hi,

my Tandem hardly yawed to the right out of the box.

I then did what you said: I shortened the front link by 4 turns and lengthened the rear by 2 turns and now pirouetting speed is identical left and right!

Thanks for this great tip!

Greetings

Michael
michi3 is offline Find More Posts by michi3