SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:49 PM
**coming to a town near you**
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Apr 2013
719 Posts
I use a Bungee that's 50ft of stout rubber and a 10ft leader of line to a ring. Its a quick aggressive launch with a very quick tow and the rubber always collects right at the stake. That's the way to go IMHO.
FlyingGorilla83 is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGorilla83
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGorilla83 View Post
I use a Bungee that's 50ft of stout rubber and a 10ft leader of line to a ring. Its a quick aggressive launch with a very quick tow and the rubber always collects right at the stake. That's the way to go IMHO.
It's absolutely great when training alone. Can be scary when doing a side-by-side MoM launch with many pilots.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2013
719 Posts
If there are 4 pilots for example with 17M separation between bungee's it should work ok... The line is so stout at launch that the model has no choice but to fly straight up the line. I rarely see the model veer off to the side on launch.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
If there are 4 pilots for example with 17M separation between bungee's it should work ok... The line is so stout at launch that the model has no choice but to fly straight up the line. I rarely see the model veer off to the side on launch.
I'm more worried about the zoom part. Unlike in a real F3J mass launch, in this case all models would be doing the same thing (zooming), almost all aligned and at the same time.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:49 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
I'm more worried about the zoom part. Unlike in a real F3J mass launch, in this case all models would be doing the same thing (zooming), almost all aligned and at the same time.
Its rare that they are going to zoom 17 meters into another lane and the things is that your event like most are smaller so you can go 25 meters apart.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:13 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
We fly a man in man format monthly here in Dallas, we use "class A" (hand launch) gliders with tow hooks. It evolved out of pain and agonoy assosiated with javelin throwing. It's been around for a while.

It's all up, last down, scored first down gets one point, second two, third three and fouth four points. If everyone gets the 5 min task, everyone gets the four points.

It's a scramble, you step up and fly, contest requires 6 flights. There is a means to resolve ties. It's a total gass, other clubs in Texas fly as well.

I've never seen a major tangle of lines....

Dan in Dallas
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:04 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
792 Posts
I'm a big bungee fan for practice. Probably 1 winch session to every 5 bungee sessions is how it works out for me. 50' of 4M rubber and 90' of mono.

A MOM bungee launch seems fine as long as everyone has the minimum skill required to do a straight launch under some degree of "pressure." All it takes is one guy zigging when everyone else is zagging...
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:22 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude View Post
All it takes is one guy zigging when everyone else is zagging...
Aye, there's the rub....
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:54 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,939 Posts
Agreed -

Your group needs to have all parties capable of an overhand throw - one of our pilots had a thrower for him. The thrower in question had never done the task (he was an F3K guy) He was just fine.

If your bungees are launching with 40 + LBS of tension you can't really go left or right - the model just goes up.

The assumption is that the model is setup to launch effectively - if your model is out of control for setup it doesn't matter what you use - chaos is more likely.

This format is not only effective but really fun and you get a LOT of rounds in as well.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:10 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,925 Posts
Where is Dr. Death? He's good at this!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:48 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Should the unthinkable happen, I may become a player in "J" next year. Cheers!
Toby
Please rather consider Flying F3B next year, you know it is more fun than this dork landing stuff and we could use some more pilots in the US!

Man up and take the challenge!
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:36 AM
Joined Apr 2013
719 Posts
I know its arguable, but "B" is more work than J. You need atleast 2-3 people to practice, you need different winches, you need planes that don't easily convert to other diciplines.... arguably (I know you flew well with the Fosa at the J tour event) Its not that I don't love F3B, I grew up and cut my teeth on F3B. Its just too darn hard to master your craft at unless you have a dedicated local team.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:45 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,570 Posts
Hi Gorilla

I know, you getting married and stuff...

But Thomas Cooke and I practice a lot B just the two of us. We setup 4-5 winches and one guy is at Base B, the other flies 4-5 runs, then we rotate. Yes, it would be nice to have a thrower for a 4kg fully loaded B plane, but our practice works as is and you get good at throwing heavy stuff.

Just a thought, I know you would be digging that B stuff.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:55 AM
Joined Apr 2013
719 Posts
I prolly would dig B... But 4-5 WINCHES>>>!!??!! I'm working on buying 1 at the moment and that's gonna cost $2K.