HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
TeachSeventh
Houston
Joined Dec 2008
114 Posts
Here's the best way for build sequence, and you can see the DT750's in action.

Flite Test - HK Quad Controller Setup - FLITE TIP (14 min 43 sec)

This one is for programming the kk board

Flite Test - HK Quad Controller Programming - FLITE TIP (13 min 40 sec)

Joe
W5BSA is offline Find More Posts by W5BSA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,853 Posts
Thanks for that, Joe.

As much as I like this motor it crossed my mind that maybe I'd like to mess with a quad too. So the videos are going to really be interesting. And if they're a bit off topic for some that is OK too as they are easily ignored.

The quad thing seems to be booming, maybe some of us will come on board!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:54 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Just do it Jack; the quad community needs more motor masters! I also started getting in to quads and FPV recently. In fact quads/FPV have become so addictive that I'm flying mine on all stock ax2213n's... not for long... just hard to get motivated about winding 4 identical motors in a row, LOL!

With quads, it's very easy to start off backwards and have to buy a bunch of additional gear to get back to step one, if you will. However these days you can get a killer performing bullet proof quad flying for $120-150, depending on what rx's & lipos you have to spare. Anyhow If you feel you're ready to start, shoot me a PM. I'll help you get going in the right direction.

Sorry, back on topic...

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:49 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,853 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, Kev.

I've been lurking around a little and noticed you over here on this thread:

The new KK2 FC, info and Q&A... - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

And I have also been considering that controller. I'm kind of leaning towards a tri but may PM you before I nail it down. I was attracted to one the collapsable tricopters...

It's kind of funny if you know motors OK, everywhere you go on other forums there are people needing help with the basics on motors, aren't there?

Jack
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Hi,
Just a quick update, 3 on the 4 DT750 are now done. It seems that my technic is slowly improving (meaning I could have put more turns...).

I'd like to share 2 really useful tools :

They are parts of phone disassembly tools for $2.30 shipped at DealExtreme http://dx.com/p/professional-phone-a...iece-set-33456

My D4023 have arrived too, it will be interesting to compare...

Zaggy
zaggy is offline Find More Posts by zaggy
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Hi Jack

You really should considere the CC3D too http://www.openpilot.org/
Wonderfull hardware/software/community for almost any flying hardware, you wouldn't be disappointed !

Zaggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post

The new KK2 FC, info and Q&A... - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

And I have also been considering that controller. I'm kind of leaning towards a tri but may PM you before I nail it down. I was attracted to one the collapsable tricopters...

Jack
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,853 Posts
Oh wow! Just what I need!

An autopilot that will shove me out of the way and take over when it thinks I am about to do something stupid. Does it watch for those magnetic trees and fly around them?

Just joking of course, there is a lot of fun to be had there I think. Thanks for the suggestion on that and the tools too.

The image shows just a few of the tools I use in winding, they are laying on top of my 3rd hand accessory and I could not live without them. The little green stylus is a Palm Pilot stylus sanded to have a blunt chisel tip on it. I have about 1,000 of those stylii left over from an old advertising campaign by 3Com (the inventors of the Palm Pilots).

Jack
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I don't see the advantages to the spinning lots of props on a frame with no apparent forward. What do these gizmos do (besides consume money) that traditional aircraft can't. The device seems like a very complex novelty. All those motors, props and ESC's all have to work in harmony. A failure of any part and oops! there it is. There's no redundancy (gliding/ auto rotate) Just an observation from an ignorant point view. I wouldn't mind hearing from enthusiasts who could enlighten me on the subject. From a business aspect it's genius every sale results in the sale of lots of breakables X 3 or 4 or 6 or 8. With no inherent stability what could go wrong?
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
coming from helis, amongst the advantages I see :
- relative no danger compared to helis (slow / small rotors)
- learning of flight attitude is safe and easy (face statio with helis are difficult)
- budget activity (~$200 is enough if you correctly choose you parts)
- easy to conceive/build structure
- low price motors, ESC, structures, radio
- like myself you can discover/learn lot of things (motors, ESC programming, ...)
- you can do slow FPV compared to plane
- and more simply immediate fun of flight !

of course you assume 4-8 more chances of failure, but a fried ESC can also occur on heli or plane and without external BEC you're done too... Instead you can run ESC at very small intensity, preserving them : when I land, everything's cool because we only draw 3-5A per ESCs...
Last edited by zaggy; Jul 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thanks Zaggy , I'm interested in learning more could you point me in the direction of the $200.00 worth of parts version. I guess there is a CPU that ties all the ESC's together is that something that has to be programmed? I have allot more questions but don't want to get off subject here.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
A complex novelty they are, just like all RC! and much less complex than sikorsky style helicopters. if you want to try flying there are a bunch of options in all price ranges from $40-$4000, multi rotor forums have a lot of information. http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-talk-659/
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
My Pico Stick is pretty simple
Looking at that price range I would imagine the $200.00 range is most likely a reasonable minimum for OK quality parts that can easily be replaced. Is there a link to a list of parts or a kit in that range as I have no idea whats what when it comes to those things. Being one of the reality's of this hobby now days so much info to sift through if one ventures into new territory, it's easier on the budget to ask allot of questions. Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
As is the DT750 thread, these two links are somewhat related. (this is a 3-rotor helicopter. I really like it.)

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584466

The first link contains a list of most of the parts, but is missing some little things. It is built to take abuse and be cheap and cheap to repair. It also does not need counter-rotating props. The ESCs are an important part, to make a very stable helicopter you need to change the firmware, or use Castle Creations ESCs with a specific firmware. More information on that is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678 Or you can buy pre-flashed ESCs here: http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...products_id=27

Please feel free to PM me if you want more information, or post in one of the above threads.

Also I think that multi-rotor helicopters are very different from sikorsky helicopters and, like when comparing airplanes to helicopters, that needs to be taken into account. I like them because there are less moving parts, are simpler in my mind, and there is no tail rotor, which I believe to be a huge waste of energy, as it provides no lift or thrust.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,853 Posts
As I mentioned above, I am also considering a omni build and the tricopters are probably going to get first consideration. Part of the interest and attraction or me is that it will use my much loved and well understood DT-750 or DAT-750 motors.

The above post by npre, #1378, contains the two most important and informative links for a good tricopter build. I pretty sure that bookmarking that site and that thread will get me through it pretty well.

Jack
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I like the tricopter, seems like a reasonable starter kit. I don't have any 750 motors so I'll have to buy new, but this will be an opportunity to wind three motors exactly the same. I would imagine that would be a plus in a machine like this. If the stock 750's are any thing like other budget priced stuff from the far East the windings can be inconsistent.