SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:11 AM
Break, fix, fly, break again
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Hello. I am trying to figure out which reciever I should get for the taylorcraft. I have a dx6i. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking an ar6100 or ar600? Just learning since this is my first arf.
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:31 AM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
In 7 of my planes I have an AR6210 (some have AR6200 the earlier model). I have flown around 500 to 1000 flights for nearly 5 years without ever any problem. the AR6210 has a satellite that I mount with the antenna 90 deg from the main receiver antenna. Great insurance that is well worth the price difference. If this is your first plane I recommend you fly a foam plane such as the T-28 Trojan or a foam high wing trainer for at least 6 months before you fly this plane. Both the Taylorcraft and the T-28 fly easily, but the T-28 can be repaired in about 1 hour or less. So I used the T-28 until I got to the point that I never crash. You can by the foam parts of a T-28 for around $100 and use the same electronics for the T-28 as for the Taylorcraft. So you can transfer the motor and electronics if you want.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:17 AM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPirate67 View Post
Hello. I am trying to figure out which reciever I should get for the taylorcraft. I have a dx6i. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking an ar6100 or ar600? Just learning since this is my first arf.
Although the AR600 is a full range receiver, I still chose the AR6210 for my Taylorcraft. For me, the Taylorcraft is a "special" plane with it's gorgeous scale looks and higher ready to fly price using premium components. So a full range radio with a satellite DuaLink receiver, IMO, is the most reliable way to go. I use these on all of my "nice" planes. Maybe the extra reliability that I perceive with the satellite receiver system is only perceived, but I do have a very safe feeling when flying and have had absolutely no problems in hundreds and hundreds of flights with the AR6210 receiver. I do use the smaller radios in a few foam planes that I have.

I agree with GCplane that the E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 is not a good first plane. It is not because the build is too hard (it is not) or that the plane is hard to fly (it flys very well and is very stable) but because beginner flyers will crash. A balsa plane can be much harder to repair after a crash. I flew foam planes for over a year before purchasing my first balsa plane. I love the looks of balsa planes but prefer the easy repairing of foam planes.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
In 7 of my planes I have an AR6210 (some have AR6200 the earlier model). I have flown around 500 to 1000 flights for nearly 5 years without ever any problem. the AR6210 has a satellite that I mount with the antenna 90 deg from the main receiver antenna. Great insurance that is well worth the price difference. If this is your first plane I recommend you fly a foam plane such as the T-28 Trojan or a foam high wing trainer for at least 6 months before you fly this plane. Both the Taylorcraft and the T-28 fly easily, but the T-28 can be repaired in about 1 hour or less. So I used the T-28 until I got to the point that I never crash. You can by the foam parts of a T-28 for around $100 and use the same electronics for the T-28 as for the Taylorcraft. So you can transfer the motor and electronics if you want.
Hi! I apprecaite the advice on the reciever! I have been flying for over a year. Started with a Super Cub. This is my first ARF and I am just learning the reciever differences...so many to look at and when I read up on one I think I would like, I see the "Does not work with DX6" and get nervous. I think they mean an actual DX6 and not my DX6i but not sure. lol
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
Although the AR600 is a full range receiver, I still chose the AR6210 for my Taylorcraft. For me, the Taylorcraft is a "special" plane with it's gorgeous scale looks and higher ready to fly price using premium components. So a full range radio with a satellite DuaLink receiver, IMO, is the most reliable way to go. I use these on all of my "nice" planes. Maybe the extra reliability that I perceive with the satellite receiver system is only perceived, but I do have a very safe feeling when flying and have had absolutely no problems in hundreds and hundreds of flights with the AR6210 receiver. I do use the smaller radios in a few foam planes that I have.

I agree with GCplane that the E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 is not a good first plane. It is not because the build is too hard (it is not) or that the plane is hard to fly (it flys very well and is very stable) but because beginner flyers will crash. A balsa plane can be much harder to repair after a crash. I flew foam planes for over a year before purchasing my first balsa plane. I love the looks of balsa planes but prefer the easy repairing of foam planes.

Freddy
Awesome guys! AR6210 it is. Any other parts to get to work with it? SAT? I appreciate the help and I totally agree with you. It is an awesome plane. That is why I am reaching out. Want to be sure to get the right setup. It is brand new and the gentleman I bought it from also had a brand new 40amp esc and brand new park 480 motor. He recieved as a gift but flies nitro. I figured $150.00 shipped with everything was a good deal. I need good and reliable servos also. Any suggestions there?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPirate67 View Post
Awesome guys! AR6210 it is. Any other parts to get to work with it? SAT? I appreciate the help and I totally agree with you. It is an awesome plane. That is why I am reaching out. Want to be sure to get the right setup. It is brand new and the gentleman I bought it from also had a brand new 40amp esc and brand new park 480 motor. He recieved as a gift but flies nitro. I figured $150.00 shipped with everything was a good deal. I need good and reliable servos also. Any suggestions there?
You will be good to go with some Hitec HS-55's, hard to beat for the price. I ran them in my tcraft with the setup I put in it when I built it. I quickly fell in love with this bird though and upgraded all the electronics in it, while the old setup found a home in my 40in albatros D.III.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
If your SuperCub does not have ailerons, I suggest you cut and hinge some ailerons on the supercub or buy a foam Parkzone T-28 as your next step. Then Taylorcraft as your third step.
I used HiTec HS65HB for Ailerons and Elevator. HS65MG for Rudder because the tailwheel may get jarred when landing or transporting.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
If your SuperCub does not have ailerons, I suggest you cut and hinge some ailerons on the supercub or buy a foam Parkzone T-28 as your next step. Then Taylorcraft as your third step.
I used HiTec HS65HB for Ailerons and Elevator. HS65MG for Rudder because the tailwheel may get jarred when landing or transporting.
True, the HS-55 on rudder does stand a chance of stripping gears if something goes squirrely on the ground. I have HS-5055MG's all around running on 6v through a CC bec in it now, along with a CC pheonix 45, ar8000+sat, tm1000 telemetry module, and a bunch of telemetry goodies hooked up. Motor is a eflite park 480 1020kv swinging either an 11x5 or 12x5 Xoar. My original setup was a park 480 910kv, the HS-55's, CC Tbird 36, and the ar8000rx. Flew great with the original setup, flies better with the new one.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,091 Posts
I received the decals that I ordered from Callie-Graphics.com. Once again, Callie came through with really good looking vinyl decals at a very fair price. The color match is almost spot on. The Taylorcraft logo looks awesome.

As for the name of my E-Flite Taylorcraft 450, usually my wife names my planes but in this case my grandson came up with the name. Here are some pics.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
I added a slow motion replay of my landing to the previous video that shows how the floats touched down.
Taylorcraft Float Flight (2 min 4 sec)
Last edited by GCplane; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
Freddy, Your graphics are very nice!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Freddy, Your graphics are very nice!
Totally agree!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Just got a 808 #16 keychain camera a few days ago and the following afternoon my son told me I should take him to the flying field, I agreed and for the sake of father son time told the better half I wasnt going to have time to mow the lawn that afternoon The video camera wasnt perfectly lined up as it was the 1st time I used it, so most of the uplines go out of shot, and by far not my best flying, but Im posting it anyway since its my 1st one! Ignore the less than witty commentary and occasional grunting noise.

Mendo

jimbofly (6 min 41 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mendo; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
I noticed that a few of you suggested that I fly something with ailerons before flying my taylocraft. I saw mention of the T-28. Is that micro size? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. The more I think about it the more I feel you guys are right. I have sim time but it isn't the same.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,709 Posts
Well i had a lot of fun with my foam gws spitfire,,cheap,get the version with the better motor and its wicked fun ,,i snapped mine in half twice doing stupid things at 5 feet above the ground playing www1 pilot lol,,big crash = 10 mins with the glue so couldnt be easyer to fix
Magic k2 is online now Find More Posts by Magic k2