HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2007, 04:32 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Cool
1/4 scale 1962 Ferrari V-12 Engine for your C.C. or Hacker woodie

Here's a real Wowser over on Ebay . . . I can't even dream of affording her, but, damn!! , you have to admire the skill and dedication that went into the build!!!

Ferrari V-12 Engine 1/4 Scale Running Model
Beautifully Machined Collectors Item Only one made.
Item number: 200117270322

Picture that in your 1/4 scale Chris Craft or Hacker woodie runabout!!!!!

Here are a couple auctions that closed a while back.
Evinrude Elto Outboard Motor 1/3 Scale Ignition Engine
Shelby Cobra 1/4 Scale Model Conley OHC V8 Engine

Apparently he seems to be a collector who is thinning out his collection a bit.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 08, 2007 at 05:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2007, 06:57 AM
Seattle, Wa
Joined Aug 2006
104 Posts
And I though that 1/4 scale Dodge Viper V10 Engine Conley Engines was originally supposed to make was crazy! They didnt make it because their shop caught fire and the molds got burnt ! But yeah I am seriously flabberghasted by that V12 ! That takes the cake!
TugboatTom is offline Find More Posts by TugboatTom
Old Jun 08, 2007, 11:22 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,124 Posts
I have watched that seller for a while. He is a reseller. He buys stuff and then turns around and sells it at a higher price.

I see things about this Ferrari engine that I personally do not like. #1, the machinist shall remain anonymous. #2, in contrast to a Conley engine that runs and will power a model, this engine has only been started once to confirm that it will run. Yeah, for how long before it siezes up? It has no ignition system, no oiling system, etc all things a working Conley has. I couls see this as a cool shelf item, but not at the price it has already gone up to, over $10K. Lots of people just have more money than they know what to do with.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:17 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Lots of people just have more money than they know what to do with.
They could send it too me. I won't complain, honest.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1 Posts
I built that engine

I built that engine, about 20 years ago. It was the first complex engine I built before I started working on the Quarter Scale Merlin (look at www.quarterscalemerlin.com or www.dynamotive.biz). The Ferrari is only a prototype, mostly machined from barstock, and I never intended to sell it. It’s included on the website as an item of potential interest, but not as a salable item.

A few months ago, I got an email from Shelby Langston (aka 'mrmotormaster'), who I didn’t know from Adam. He said he had a 1/4 -scale Ferrari GTO, he wanted to buy my engine to put in it, and it would be the ‘centerpiece of his collection’. I thought, “Wow! A 1/4 scale GTO! What a perfect place for my engine!” I told him that I had not been thinking of selling the engine, but the idea of it going into a GTO was really appealing. I told him the engine hadn’t been run in many years, I couldn’t say what the condition of the inside was like, and it really needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned out. Also, I told him that I couldn’t make any guarantees about it at all, even whether it would run. I thought about fixing it up to run myself, but I don’t really have the time, and he said that wouldn’t be necessary – I assumed, because he was mostly interested in it for static display. He told me to name my price, but I didn’t want to. I told him I wasn’t really that enthused about selling it (my baby!), and I didn’t need the money, so it was up to him to make an offer. He offered me $7,500. Not only did the idea of the engine going in the scale GTO appeal to me tremendously, but $7,500 was more than I thought the engine was worth, so I accepted.

Three months later, I happened to wonder if there were any other scale Ferrari engines out there, so I did a search on Ebay for ‘scale Ferrari engine’. Lo and behold, my engine popped up, and just by chance, I happened to hit it almost at the beginning of the listing. I thought “What’s this?” The description made it sound as if the engine was virtually ready to run, and it didn’t mention any of the problems I had told him about. I was particularly blown away by the ‘Buy it now’ price of $30,000. I thought, “Is this guy crazy?” I sent Shelby an email, saying in a nice way, “Why are you selling my engine.” He replied “I listed the engine to create a buzz out there.” I had no idea what that meant. He also said that the GTO turned out to be not very scale. I went back to the listing, and looked at his feedback. That’s when I realized he is a reseller of engines. (I guess it’s sort of a hobby with him, because he’s also a realtor, and says he ‘owns corporations’). Out of many positive feedbacks, there were three negatives, and at least one of them had to do with an engine which was not as described.

I thought “Huh-oh!” If he sells that engine, the buyer is likely to be disappointed, and even though he didn’t mention my name, eventually it may get back to me. After thinking about this for awhile, I finally told him that I didn’t want him to sell the engine, and I would give him his money back. He declined. But, he said he would stop listing the engine on Ebay. I thought, ok, that took care of that.

It didn’t. He listed it two more times, the last time with a 'Buy it now' price of $9,500, and he still didn't sell it. Finally, I got an email from him saying “I am weary of the issues and gossip out there surrounding the beautiful little Ferrari engine. I am ready to say uncle and sell it back to you as offered for what I paid if that is still agreeable.” Unfortunately, I had already spent quite a bit of his money on castings for the Merlin, and giving him his money back at this time would be something of a burden on me. I’d like to get the engine back, but right now is not a good time. So, I haven’t taken him up on it.

I realize now that Shelby Langston is a real wheeler-dealer, who probably thinks he can sell iceboxes to Eskimos. If I had thought he was planning on selling my engine, I never would have sold it to him. I asked him what value he had added to my engine, to justify selling it for more than he paid me for it. His reply was: “I held it in my very successful little hand and spoke magical words over it.” I tried to be philosophical about the whole thing, saying that if he was able to sell the engine for more than I thought it was worth, it would be a valuable data point. But, I would still feel stupid. I’ll be honest, I want people to help me, not try to take advantage of me. I know that’s a naïve attitude.
richardmaheu is offline Find More Posts by richardmaheu
Last edited by richardmaheu; Aug 28, 2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,124 Posts
Wow, quite a story. I am sorry you got taken advantage of. But you are a member of a very large club, unfortunately.

Well, it looks like your Ferrari sold for $10000 but maybe it fell through. There is no feedback either way on it.

As for your Merlin, I have watched your website for years. I truly hope to see that magnificent engine completed and running and wait for the day I can see a video and listen to it.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
richardmaheu,
I would not give this issue a bit of worry, he paid you for the engine far more than you imagined it would be worth. You used some of the money for your next project. It may not have even really sold for the 10K anyway. You made out and I do not think you were taken advantage of.
The buyer mentioned took a risk that some one else would be willing to pay more for it than he bought it for, sometimes the risk pays off and other times it does not. Granted he was not completely honest with you.
Keep your money and build your Merlin, that is were your real interest is anyway.

I have sold many things on Ebay which I would not have paid that much for it, but the buyers were delighted to get the item and they bid that high so it was there own choice.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveciambrone
richardmaheu,
I would not give this issue a bit of worry, he paid you for the engine far more than you imagined it would be worth. You used some of the money for your next project. It may not have even really sold for the 10K anyway. You made out and I do not think you were taken advantage of.
The buyer mentioned took a risk that some one else would be willing to pay more for it than he bought it for, sometimes the risk pays off and other times it does not. Granted he was not completely honest with you.
Keep your money and build your Merlin, that is were your real interest is anyway.

I have sold many things on Ebay which I would not have paid that much for it, but the buyers were delighted to get the item and they bid that high so it was there own choice.

Thanks
Steve

Exactly!

I do understand your feeling of loss though. Very much like someone who sells a puppy to a 'good home' only to find out it is not nearly as good a home as was hoped.
I hope your Merlin is a huge success and that it gives you even more satisfaction.
DarnonKhan is offline Find More Posts by DarnonKhan
Old May 25, 2008, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2008
1 Posts
It is always nice to see that there are people with good sense out there. Dear Richard Maheu should be praising me for buying the engine and the Merlin V-12 castings. If it werent for hobbiest like me, whom have a passion for model engineering and the money to afford such spendy toys, guys like Richard would not have any customers. I sold the engine to a friend of mine for what I paid for it, and gave away the Merlin V-12 castings. He has not idea how many people I sent to his website and encouraged them to buy his Merlin project. Never again. Sheesh
motorman001 is offline Find More Posts by motorman001