SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2009, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2008
105 Posts
Turbine hybrid

Hi Rich,It is an idear i have had for about 7 years when i was informed that brushless motors are akin to alternators and if this is true it would work very well as they become more efficient at high rpm.Then i found out that full size by-pass turbo fan engines are going this way because it is more efficient than present gearbox use.If so then use of this in models looks very good on paper .Thanks for your interest ,Regards,Ken Jack
Ken Jack is offline Find More Posts by Ken Jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:18 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Ken. I see no reason why that wouldn't work and sounds like a perfectly good solution to get better performance. actually, you would get better performance on less power than most modern systems and/or be able to run on significantly less battery than is currently available. hmmmmmmmmm. now I'm thinking too. LOL. could be dangerous.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:28 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
actually, a little off topic, but along the same lines........could you not also do this with an EDF combo too?.........have an EDF efflux driving a turbine driven motor/rotor that drives a bigger bypass fan? or would the efflux of the EDF not be powerful enough to make a power gain for the bypass fan? see, I told you thinking would be dangerous. not sure if that would work or not, but at least the idea in my head sounds like it could. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:48 AM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
was this finished?
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
would an aluminum alloy with better high temperature properties, higher stiffness and a lot lower expansion at temperature help make this engine better. I'm retired aerospace structures guy and now work for company that makes metal composites in precision shapes for specialty applications
F15McAir is offline Find More Posts by F15McAir
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:06 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15McAir View Post
would an aluminum alloy with better high temperature properties, higher stiffness and a lot lower expansion at temperature help make this engine better. I'm retired aerospace structures guy and now work for company that makes metal composites in precision shapes for specialty applications
not really.

regular aluminum alloy's are fine on the compressor, and diffuser. But... on the "Hot End"... you are looking at temps at 700 to 800 c. Aluminum, of any regular alloy will melt far below that. Inconel is the lest expensive metal that can still operate in those temps.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:36 PM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
excellent job !!!
morwan_gsm is offline Find More Posts by morwan_gsm