HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:42 AM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
Flying Sites near Johns Creek?

Hi,
I recently moved to Johns Creek, GA and I noticed this thread related to Atlanta Area RC. Does anyone know of flying sites near Johns Creek, GA for flying RC electric helis? Maybe in Roswell or even Suwanee?
Thanks very much,
Dom
ccpecot is offline Find More Posts by ccpecot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:10 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,607 Posts
GMARC would be the closest Legit field I think. Should be able to find a rogue field out there. Lots of business parks.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:14 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,749 Posts
Oh yeah, might as well say it while we are at it. Don't fly at tha NASA field please (at least not anything but gliders). I know people fly helis and other stuff at that park but they are not supposed to and I would not like to see the glider guys get kicked off due to what others might do there.

http://www.atlantasoaring.org/DNN/

They have a strict rule set simply because it's what they had to agree to with the city to be allowed to be there officially.

Like Moe said I'd look for another business park for just some quick rogue flying (they usually are deserted on weekends).

I've also thought about finding somewhere up on the lake to fly some fpv but have not done it yet. There are some city/county parks there by the lake that you might be able to get away with it (probably not heli's though unless they are tiny ones). In general it's against the rules here for any of the parks to fly RC at them and most of us have gotten kicked out by the police at one time or another.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Thanks for the responses thus far. I believe that I did find GMARC online, but I think that they might have a waiting list. I will check into that field. I was hoping for something a little closer to me, but I was unable to find much on the internet and even AMA's site. Again, thank you for the responses.
ccpecot is offline Find More Posts by ccpecot
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:05 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,607 Posts
GMARC does have a wait list. I have been on it for over a year now..lol But I am close!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:38 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
GMARC does have a wait list. I have been on it for over a year now..lol But I am close!
Remember, you can't fly 3D at GMARC
MLT67 is online now Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:37 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,607 Posts
Can and have. without any issues.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,153 Posts
And you can join GMA immediately for $200 but you are only allowed to fly on weekdays. If you are caught flying on a weekend you will be kicked out.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,319 Posts
I have also had no issues; but most my flying is weekdays. I have been told it is mostly circle flying when crowded on weekends, but it is still one of my favorite clubs in the city.

The level of craftsmanship at this field is simply outstanding with regard to their scale pilots.
The field is home to some of the top Scale, IMAC, and 3d pilots in the country.

Anyway, they are not that heavy handed. The guests I have had join me up there absolutely love it, and have always been welcomed by inviting members.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Mar 27, 2014, 02:23 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Torque rolling my 88" Edge inches off the ground on a Saturday got me a "You cant fly like that" by one of the board members on my very first day as a member. I cancelled my membership and got my money back. Not knocking the club, but you will get chastised for low and slow 3D flying on the weekend.

If your OK with flying 10 or so feet off the ground on the other side of the runway you will be fine. However to me that's not 3D

MLT
Old Mar 27, 2014, 03:48 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,319 Posts
I do feel ya, and even questioned my membership after your experience. What kept me in was that I rarely ever fly weekends there (I am at the Patch) and I think that has a huge affect on my enjoyment of the club. It is a zoo on the weekends.

MLT~ When we gonna get you down to the Patch?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Mar 27, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:23 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,797 Posts
WOW, I never heard such things about GMA, I never been there, maybe I can get to go this yr if they have a open day, But I always hear about how nice it is as in the runways, and everything else. I used to know a couple members but not sure if there members there now or not. I got to renew my AMA its about time to start doing some flying, I flew the MCPX last week at my parents , I need to find a good place to fly here in Rockmart where I am living now.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:44 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I do feel ya, and even questioned my membership after your experience. What kept me in was that I rarely ever fly weekends there (I am at the Patch) and I think that has a huge affect on my enjoyment of the club. It is a zoo on the weekends.

MLT~ When we gonna get you down to the Patch?
Yeah the Patch is about a 2 to 3 hour drive for me one way - lot a driving for one day of flying.

MLT
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:45 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,319 Posts
Yikes! Perhaps for the next event we can get you out.... it is totally worth it

Where you been flying these days?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:59 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Yikes! Perhaps for the next event we can get you out.... it is totally worth it

Where you been flying these days?
I've only flown once since Christmas - but I fly at a friends private runway that's 10 minutes from my house so I'm kinda spoiled. No dues, no crowded flight line, and no one telling me how I can or can not fly.

MLT