SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:27 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arck View Post
Hi schumix and others, my AP don't work in channel 5, it works only in channel 6 for PPM, why? don't know, the futaba 9cap has fixed channel and are not programmable, we only have, ail, ele, thr and rudder, this sequence are fixed. will check in the futaba threat but I m sure that cant be change.
if it works on 6th channel, and also the AP is working when using PWM inputs and your channel 5 is working, then channel 5 is ok, and should work also for PPM input.

Try to connect PPM signal to channel 5 first, then power up the AP.
schumixmd is offline Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Apr 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenniffs View Post
Hi Schmixmd,

Swapped a couple of whatsapp sms with Charles today and have ordered a different GPS unit to the one I posted earlier (just because it was available to me overnight).

Charles said just about anything will do. My biggest concern was that a GPS unit outputting too many NMEA sentences would swamp the MFD but he said it will just ignore those it does not need.

The new GPS has a default baud rate of 9600. I know I can change the MFD baud rate in settings to match this but what are the likely repercussions?
Will I reduce the accuracy of the MFD or will it not matter?

I would need a FTDI cable (which I don't have) to change the GPS baud rate but at least it can be done if necessary...
If it's a UBLOX GPS,
Please connect your GPS to the GPS port of AP,
Then use this MFD AP menu item to setup your GPS as a 38400bps/GGA+GMC output:

MISC SETTINGS->UTILITIES->AP GPS

A 9600GPS also work (set the baudrate here: SENSORS SETTINGS->GPS BAUDRATE). But it will reduce the flying performance and AAT tracking ability a little bit.
myflydream is offline Find More Posts by myflydream
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:28 AM
Joined Apr 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arck View Post
Hi schumix and others, my AP don't work in channel 5, it works only in channel 6 for PPM, why? don't know, the futaba 9cap has fixed channel and are not programmable, we only have, ail, ele, thr and rudder, this sequence are fixed. will check in the futaba threat but I m sure that cant be change.
1. Does the CH5 works with PWMx6 wiring? (First we need to ensure the hardware of CH5 is fine)
2. What happen if you connect your RX to CH5? I know the channel sequence is incorrect. But at least you should still can do something (For example, you can use your A stick to control B servo....)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:31 AM
Joined Apr 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Here you go...
Old MFD AP uses BMP085 as its baro-sensor.
But BMP085 was quitting the market.

So we use its next generation replacement: BMP180 instead.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:27 AM
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Jul 2008
133 Posts
Quote:
Just a quick update, my new (non-original) GPS works a treat on the bench.
Am getting 11 sats locked outside with a clear view of the sky.
Will give another update in a week after I get back to work and get it installed back in my wing...always good to know what works...
Can you please specify which unit you are using ?
thx
mcenet is offline Find More Posts by mcenet
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:42 PM
Chch, NZ
Joined Mar 2012
96 Posts
My alternative GPS as requested...
Kenniffs is offline Find More Posts by Kenniffs
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:12 PM
Just a touch of freedom I felt
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
I watched the video just because you have used my DragonLink intro
If you'll win I'll get the antenna
What size antenna would you like. PM me your details and I will arrange.
Fatdogmandoza is online now Find More Posts by Fatdogmandoza
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:16 PM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdogmandoza View Post
What size antenna would you like. PM me your details and I will arrange.
Don't worry man! I was joking. I am glad you won, and also glad that you used my intro.

Tnx,
Roman
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:45 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,830 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm going to be doing a bit of flying at altitude tomorrow taking off from about 1680m which here is Australia is high, pathetic, but it's all we got really.

Now, I want to know if my MFD GPS and Barometre are going to reset my home altitude as zero metres and then measure the altitude from the point I take off or will it display the normal height above sea level as my taking off altitude?

Also, the highest peak from where I'm flying will be 2269m so I'm going to want to set my RTH cruise altitude accordingly to about 250m above that aren't I? And then I will have to set my circle at home altitude to be about 250m above my home position altitude aren't i so when it comes home (if I need to use it which I'm hoping not) it descends down to a visible line of sight distance yeah? Cause trying to spot a plane at 2500m from 1680m will be impossible!!

So I will want it to descend to atleast 1850m when it gets to home position aren't I?

Can someone give me a heads up on the tips to flying from altitude please?

Cheers,

TS.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Today, 01:49 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi guys,

I'm going to be doing a bit of flying at altitude tomorrow taking off from about 1680m which here is Australia is high, pathetic, but it's all we got really.

Now, I want to know if my MFD GPS and Barometre are going to reset my home altitude as zero metres and then measure the altitude from the point I take off or will it display the normal height above sea level as my taking off altitude?

Also, the highest peak from where I'm flying will be 2269m so I'm going to want to set my RTH cruise altitude accordingly to about 250m above that aren't I? And then I will have to set my circle at home altitude to be about 250m above my home position altitude aren't i so when it comes home (if I need to use it which I'm hoping not) it descends down to a visible line of sight distance yeah? Cause trying to spot a plane at 2500m from 1680m will be impossible!!

So I will want it to descend to atleast 1850m when it gets to home position aren't I?

Cheers,

TS.
Yeah, absolutely right. AP will use your home altitude as 0 and you will climb up to 2269-1680= 589 meters. Your safe altitude you should se acording to landscape, if you think that in the radius of 500m from home 250 will be safe to come back, then yes!
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:03 AM
Joined Apr 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi guys,

Cheers,

TS.
AP displays both altitude readings.
After SetHome the ALT will reset to 0. This big altitude reading is relative to your launch point.
AP can also display the GPS altitude (Above Sea Level) on the bottom-right corner. Set
OSD SETTINGS->DISPLAY_R = LAT/LON

If you set SAFE_ALT = 170M (1680+170=1850M, which is the Home altitude you expect), the plane may hit the highest peak during RTH. Even you set the SAFE_ALT=250M you are still taking this risk.
I suggest you to enable this option:
PLANE SETTINGS->KEEP ALT RTH
So the plane will maintain its altitude when RTH (unless alt < 1850M). It doesn't solve the problem but at least it will not decline when returning home.
Once it comes back to 500m or closer, it will decline to 1850M.
Last edited by myflydream; Today at 02:08 AM.
Old Today, 07:02 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,830 Posts
Thanks guys I'll do that stuff today and let you know how it goes.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman