SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Discussion
T-maxx 2.5 steering issue

Okay, here's the issue, steering turns fine when weight is off the wheels, but as soon as the front end weight is down, the vehicle struggles turning the wheels. Even when moving, I get very little steering movement at the wheels. I do get better steering when attempting to steer left vs. right.
I am running a Hitec 645MG servo and have tried 2 other servos, same issue, so I don't think the issue is there.

I recently picked this truck up as a roller and am trying to get it going. One issue I saw was the tie-rods where on the wrong side of the knuckle mount, so who else knows what could be wrong in the linkage area.
Can someone post some pics with correct linkage setup as I'm having a hard time picturing it all together from the exploded views?

Worse come to worse, the whole front end will be torn down and rebuilt, but I would like to run a little before pulling it down for a full rebuild.
mitchlandry is offline Find More Posts by mitchlandry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:00 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
This is a steering system from a 3.3. I don't think it is all that different from your 2.5.

Name: 4907-steering-system.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 22.6 KB
Description:

What are you using for a receiver battery pack?
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
The new 3.3 steering is different that the older 2.5 steering.

For batteries, i have always used the AA holder the vehicle came with. Batts are fairly new as I have only had about 3 short runs on them, but you never know. I'll swap out and see if I get a different response.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:35 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Is the servo saver too loose? You can tell by looking at how much the servo moves compared to how much the wheels move with weight on them. If the servo is moving all the way but the wheels barely move then tighten the servo saver a bit at a time until it's better.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Servo saver is actually working like it's supposed to if the wheels binded up. the servo is turning within the saver when full weight is down. Saver is tightly fastened.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:12 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Huh? If you put the car on the ground, does the servo turn fully while the wheels only move a bit, or does the servo only move a bit until you lift the car up?

If you're saying that the servo is turning but the servo saver isn't transmitting the motion to the wheels then the servo saver is too loose. It doesn't matter how strong your servo is, if the servo saver is too loose the wheels just won't turn.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Servo saver only moves a bit while the servo itself is turning fully causing saver springs to compress. The saver is on tight via servo screw.
Is there some other way to tighten the saver?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you're saying that the servo is turning but the servo saver isn't transmitting the motion to the wheels then the servo saver is too loose. It doesn't matter how strong your servo is, if the servo saver is too loose the wheels just won't turn.
Ding, Ding, We have a winner. So the issue was due to a star washer on the servo screw. While the screw was tight, the star washer didn't provide the resistance and was letting the servo turn within the saver. Removed washer and all is fine.

Thanks for the assistance in pointing me to the source.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
No prob, glad you figured it out!