SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
My 2nd Slickest Trick In CL-Someone Must Have Done This Before But I'd Never Seen It

before I "invented" it. Hinge the rudder and install a control horn with a clevis anchored to the vertical fin. We've all seen someone crash a brand new plane as it came in on the lines. Use lots of rudder, than find that sweet spot and glue or fix the rudder and remove horn, clevis, etc.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:13 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,055 Posts
Hate to say it but you haven't actually invented it . There's another version called a Rabe Rudder where the rudder is linked to the elevator. Up elevator gives a small reduction in rudder deflection while down increases it. The idea of this is to use the rudder to counteract yawing of the nose due to gyroscopic precession of the prop.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,164 Posts
i made an adjustable rudder by putting a slotted plywood plate on the bottom end of the rudder. An allen head bolt through the slot into the fuselage kept it in place. I learned quite a bit by fiddling with it. Now, I build rudders with 0 offset, except for OTS airplanes where a little is needed to make it look right.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
186 Posts
years ago (prior to 1975) carrier planes often used a movable rudder when the plane went into slow speed. The rudder was connected to the same mechanism that operated the ailerons, usually the hook release. after sliders came into the picture it wasn't needed. Today it is only seen on nostalgia models.

Another trick was to use a spring on the rudder, during high speed it would straighten, when you slowed down you would get more rudder offset.

I still have planes with both systems
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2008
186 Posts
PS attached is a drawing of the carrier rudder system
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
More than one of us has done something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
i made an adjustable rudder by putting a slotted plywood plate on the bottom end of the rudder. An allen head bolt through the slot into the fuselage kept it in place. I learned quite a bit by fiddling with it. Now, I build rudders with 0 offset, except for OTS airplanes where a little is needed to make it look right.
I didn't actually hinge a section as large as a full-scale propeller driven plane might have, more like a large trim tab. I was already pretty sure that rudder offset was counter-productive. But all the circumstances have grown vague with time. It had to have been the early 1970s, perhaps before that. I have to guess that it related to a sport plane, either a Buster or a Shoestring.

Maybe Jeff would remember, but he would've been very young (under ten, probably).

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi