HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jim Varley, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,758 Posts
Harry, there was a major heli only event here in the Phoenix area one or two months ago.
I suggest you check into this next year and participate in that event.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Harry, there was a major heli only event here in the Phoenix area one or two months ago.

Rick
And there is an all heli event at the SVF field in March.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post

Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
And there is an all heli event at the SVF field in March.
and not one minute for fixed wing
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
and not one minute for fixed wing
Because it's advertised as a heli ONLY event. This one isn't. Comprende?
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,318 Posts
We sure are going to miss you at the AEF Harry.
swarick is online now Find More Posts by swarick
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2004
5,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarick View Post
Comprende?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarick View Post
Rampant sarcasm noted. Never said I wouldn't be there.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,201 Posts
Request to all FPV Pilots

Hello,
I have a request for all the FPV pilots that are coming out to AMA for the Electric Festival. I have been flying FPV 2 weekends a month for about a year now at AMA field.
My setup is a Skywalker with 900Mhz VTx/VRx system. Up until recently, I have been using DX7 and now DX18 2.4Ghz radio.
I also use the Eagletree OSD with the Eagletree ground station using signal tracking and diversity between my omni and patch antenna. On the plane I have a V antenna attached to the vertical fin.
Anyway, although I’m still in the “testing and tweaking” phase of my FPV plane, I do think that everyone will enjoy flying FPV at AMA. My 900MHz video signal is very clean with almost no static or interruptions. To date, I have had no issues of any kind at this location that made me nervous or may cause a safety concern.
So as to my request. When I do fly FPV at AMA, about 50% of the time there is one location that gives me more static for a second or two than any other. It is like a wall of interference. Once I punch through it, my video signal is 100% so it is NOT a range issue. This “Wall” is not there every single time I fly FPV and sometimes it has lesser effects then other.
I’m thinking of two possibilities, one, the V antenna on my plane is in the wrong spot when flying at that angel through that location, or two, there is some kind of interference at that location.

I would like to follow up with the FPV pilots after the event to see if they see the same wall as I do on their FPV video. Best to my knowledge I'm the only one that flies FPV at AMA so I have no one to compare with as to what the problem may be.

Attached is a picture of the wall location (in Red) and location of my ground station (in Green).
I think I have a flight video or two that has the wall in question. PM me if you would like to see it.
Thanks
Rob
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,725 Posts
I had similar experiences before using CP antennas. If you're using CP than disregard, but if not, get some. You'll see a world of difference.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
Hey Rob. As Otto points out you might want to switch to CP antennas, especially on your VTX. I'm actually able to fly through the 'bermuda triangle' out at SEFSD now, whereas before I couldn't.

You may want to look for anything that might be blocking or reflecting your VTX signal. We have a sign at our field that likes to block not only video, but also RC signal as well.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2004
5,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Hello,
I have a request for all the FPV pilots that are coming out to AMA for the Electric Festival. I have been flying FPV 2 weekends a month for about a year now at AMA field.
My setup is a Skywalker with 900Mhz VTx/VRx system. Up until recently, I have been using DX7 and now DX18 2.4Ghz radio.
I also use the Eagletree OSD with the Eagletree ground station using signal tracking and diversity between my omni and patch antenna. On the plane I have a V antenna attached to the vertical fin.
Anyway, although I’m still in the “testing and tweaking” phase of my FPV plane, I do think that everyone will enjoy flying FPV at AMA. My 900MHz video signal is very clean with almost no static or interruptions. To date, I have had no issues of any kind at this location that made me nervous or may cause a safety concern.
So as to my request. When I do fly FPV at AMA, about 50% of the time there is one location that gives me more static for a second or two than any other. It is like a wall of interference. Once I punch through it, my video signal is 100% so it is NOT a range issue. This “Wall” is not there every single time I fly FPV and sometimes it has lesser effects then other.
I’m thinking of two possibilities, one, the V antenna on my plane is in the wrong spot when flying at that angel through that location, or two, there is some kind of interference at that location.

I would like to follow up with the FPV pilots after the event to see if they see the same wall as I do on their FPV video. Best to my knowledge I'm the only one that flies FPV at AMA so I have no one to compare with as to what the problem may be.

Attached is a picture of the wall location (in Red) and location of my ground station (in Green).
I think I have a flight video or two that has the wall in question. PM me if you would like to see it.
Thanks
Rob
Rob,
Keep in mind that Boeing has alot of "activity" going on in our general vicinity.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,201 Posts
Thank you everyone.
That is good to know. I heard allot about the CP for the 5.8Ghz system but have not seem many reviews for CP on 900Mhz. Curious, any issues with a 900Mhz CP antenna on the plane working with a directional 900Mhz patch antenna on ground station?
I will have to look into that. Still, I’m curious if you guys see any interference at that location.
As TBolt stated, there may be some Boeing activities going on.
I wish I could be there for the FPV days. I have so many questions. RC Groups is great but talking and seeing everyone face to face next to the equipment is much more informative, for me at least.
Anyway, as I stated, you guys should have a blast at AMA. Lot of open space, great people, and great signal.

Rob
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:03 PM
Fountain Hills Arizona
Joined Feb 2002
45 Posts
9th Annual Arizona Electric Festival

Preregistration is closed. See you at the Festival.
AZercflyer is online now Find More Posts by AZercflyer
Last edited by AZercflyer; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: date change
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:35 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,256 Posts
Time off Work = CHECK
Pre-Registration = CHECK
Finish up projects for AEF '13 = ...In Progress
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:38 AM
Joined May 2011