HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,416 Posts
Thanks for all the posts here guys. I have two Sky Lipo 4s 2200mah batteries that I have been actively using in my Dynam Peaks, FW-190, and F4U Corsair and have noticed that the 30C one performs much better than the 40C battery. In fact, half way through a flight with the 40C battery and the plane starts to act anemic. I don't have a lot of use on either battery (10-12 flights on each battery) but it sounds like my 40C battery may be a dud much like the other ones reported here. I think I may just scrap the 40C one before I lose a plane due to it.

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Skylipo Batteries

This is a very interesting thread my buddy and I both recently ordered a batch of 8 5S 5000mah 30C Sky packs. We combine 2 packs to make 10S packs to fly in our 2 meter pattern ships. To this point we have not had any packs puff but the IR numbers are reading very high in comparison to the blue lipo packs we used last season. We were able to get a solid 80 cycles out of blue lipo packs and they seemed to be very consistant. I am afraid it is not going to be the same results with the Sky packs based on what we have seen so far.
The IR numbers we are seeing vary from 5.5 up to almost 8 and that is within the same pack.

I have 3 sets of Flightpower 10S packs that are 3 years old that I got in a trade. They had never been used, still new in the package, I just charged them up and started using them. The IR numbers are from 1.9 - 2.1 per pack.

I waited on hold for a solid 30 minutes yesterday to try to speak to HobbyPartz about my concerns and never got through. This was very dissappointing.

I am pretty sure they aren't going to make good on the packs and it just reconfirms what I have always known.

You Get What You Pay For.
Snowman44 is offline Find More Posts by Snowman44
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,420 Posts
I had yet another pack go bad, another 2s 40C lipo with a bad cell. I had purchased 4 of the same pack, so for the other 3 are holding up. I put the bad one on a load and watched one cell drop to less than 1V while the other cell held 3.8 volts. That's only at a 15C load too. It's a shame these packs aren't holding up.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:51 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
633 Posts
Five of my last ten Skylipos have already gone bad, most of them have less than twenty cycles. A couple of other flying buddies have also had new SkyLipo batteries die on them, I have had better luck with my Blue Lipos, some of them are a couple of years old with hundreds of cycles and although a little puffy they still work better then the SkyLipos, needless to say I won't be throwing my money away with SkyLipos anymore.
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2012
25 Posts
I have been watching this thread for a while. I have several sky lipo batteries that were purchased in late June. I have not had an issue yet, but I balance charge them at .5C. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact the mine are not puffy and still run great. They have between 7 and 14 charge cycles on them though, so the end may be near. I'm curious to find out what others who have had problems are charging their sky lipos at (what rate). Thanks.
schome1 is online now Find More Posts by schome1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:38 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpschommer View Post
I have been watching this thread for a while. I have several sky lipo batteries that were purchased in late June. I have not had an issue yet, but I balance charge them at .5C. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact the mine are not puffy and still run great. They have between 7 and 14 charge cycles on them though, so the end may be near. I'm curious to find out what others who have had problems are charging their sky lipos at (what rate). Thanks.
What discharge rate are yours? My 20C and 30C batteries are fine. Only the 40C ones are causing me grief.

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
What discharge rate are yours? My 20C and 30C batteries are fine. Only the 40C ones are causing me grief.

Kman
Mine are all 30C. I have two 1800mAh and two 1000 mAh.
schome1 is online now Find More Posts by schome1
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:53 AM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
156 Posts
2 cents

I charge at 1C and tend to use them in setups where maximum discharge under 20C (40C continunous rated Lipo's).

I fly 4 or 5 times a week so it's a little easier to see how Lipo's perform, longterm. For others it may take many months to accumulate 50 plus cycles on a battery.

My recent experience with SKY Lipo's is that they fail long before reaching 50 cycles which I consider the minimum number that should be expected from today's batteries.

At my club, our members have just about thinned out the SKY's from their inventories. The failure pattern is too obvious to ignore and there are other better choices available.

Larry

PS: Other than one brief comment from HobbyPartz and SKY back when this thread was started, I haven't anything from either acknowledging the problem or attempting to explain the reasons.
Premium2000 is online now Find More Posts by Premium2000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vapors & MSR's
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
My brand new sky lipo 3s 5000mah just failed. Not one flight, just fresh out of the box. Plugged it into a tested quadrotor and the connector just melted and the battery started smoking. This was my first lipo, probably not gonna buy any more. Maybe a LiFe next time...
reverseinfinity is offline Find More Posts by reverseinfinity
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
633 Posts
I had two more 4 cell 2200 40C SkyLipo batteries fail on me yesterday while flying my SkyFun pusher prop. One had one cell die and the other one quickly started losing voltage after one minute of flight. they both had less than twenty cycles.
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:41 PM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,057 Posts
LQQKS like HobbyPartz and SKY LIPO have figured the lipos are crap and have come to a conclusion .Ether we loose alot of money or they do.They picked YOU
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:27 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,026 Posts
yep! and just to answer a earlier question, i also have had some lose a cell and all were charged at <1/2 c ,never below 3.8 ,only balance charged ect. so the higher charge rate is not the issue , at least in my case, as even mine have failed w/ the lower charge rate.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
156 Posts
More bad packs

Each weekend, at my Club field, there are more SKY packs crapping out well before their time.

Unforetunately, since I began this thread, there has only been one comment, early on, from HobbyPartz but not a word since.

Needless to say, no more SKY lipo's for our 135 members.
Premium2000 is online now Find More Posts by Premium2000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vapors & MSR's
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,026 Posts
quote;

Unforetunately, since I began this thread, there has only been one comment, early on, from HobbyPartz but not a word since.

almost like a bait and switch ploy, pretty crappy.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
I only have one 800mAh SKY. Glad I didn't go with them for my 2200's in my 450 heli. Sounds like they are a brand to steer away from with the support you guys are getting. Sounded like they were going to help out initially. Too bad they didn't follow through. Could have really saved face if they would have stepped up and warrantied the failed batteries.
CopterCrazy is offline Find More Posts by CopterCrazy