SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
689 Posts
Discussion
Why so short range and bad signal with live feed video?

I broke my antenna of my VTx 1 week ago, and bought a new one, since the range was very short (50 meters max) and some details on the picture got grey..
I have now bought a new transmitter and it stills sux on the range and everything is the same crap as when after i crashed.

I think it is the battery for the vtx or the reciever.. That the battery is dead. What do you think cause this?
Voguna is offline Find More Posts by Voguna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:59 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Could be a fault with the battery, the range seems way to short anyway.

What equipment are you using ?
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:52 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,368 Posts
Whats the voltage on the battery? Do you have anything in between the VTX and batt? Try it all separate with minimum components..
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:12 AM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
689 Posts
I got this:
VISION DELUXE High resolution video glasses 640X480 (http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....products_id=32
TR512 Combo Set Receiver +Transmitter 1.2Ghz 500mW (http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....products_id=55
AN1208 HIGH GAIN PATCH ANTENNA 1.2 Ghz 8dBi (http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....products_id=57
2x Turnigy 800 mAh 11.1v 3s High Discharge 20/30C Li-Poly Battery (http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....products_id=80

I know all this works great, because it has for 1-2 month. But after a hard crash, the antenna of the tx went off. I bought a new one, but it seems like the problem is still there. Maybe it is the regulator from the battery to Vtx?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:22 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,368 Posts
Can it be the camera?
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:30 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Ah right then i would think that if the forces have been great enough to take the antenna off then its look a safe bet whats up...........

Its brought away the soldered connection on the SMA connector to the antenna on the transmitters circuit board. This would explain why you are getting a picture but no range You said your pictures grey, this also is typical of being out of range, or bad antenna performance

If this is the case the fix could be as simple as resoldering the connection, just warm up the joint so the solder melts then let it reset, try that and see if the range is back.

Maybe though its taken some of the circuit board with it, which still could be fixed ( depending on how bad ) but i`d have to see a close picture of it to be certain.

The reason i say this is because the transmitter is still transmitting, implying the transmitter video signal is not at fault, you now the antenna is new so thats not at fault but its acting like theres still no antenna there, so this points to that connection.

Heres a pic of the connections to resolder, you need to do the connection on the other side to out of view in the picture. If the circuit board has visible damage or a crack though dont bother, just post a pic up of the damage

Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:52 AM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
689 Posts
I use a Gopro HD, and i tried another camera with the same results.

I bought a brand new Video transmitter, so it is not the vtx that is the problem... =/
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Oh right i misread and thought you were using the same vtx still

Ok so its not the camera, its not the vtx, so if its not a fault on the groundstation side which we are presumming, then it must be the power to the transmiter or the camera then. Thats the only other varible in the crash.

Have you tried none crashed lipos on this setup ?

Your links dont work by the way, i think its because you have copied your links from your shopping cart
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:05 AM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
689 Posts
Ahh, crap.. I have used a non crashed lipo =/..

Maybe it is the voltage generator? Or maybe one of the leads(wiring) are broken?
Last edited by Voguna; Jul 31, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:21 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Can you post up a wiring drawing matey ?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:20 AM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
689 Posts
I think I might have found the problem!

I noticed that the Vtx was set to channel 1, and I had it on channel 2 on my reciever. I am 99% sure, that this was the problem!!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Lol ah right Oh well, always check your channels first
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:11 PM
AoM Furballer
USA, MS, Enid
Joined Jan 2010
324 Posts
Voguna , I did the same thing when I first got mine . I even ordered a battery for it .When I was hooking the new battery up is when I noticed it , lol . Oh well , I got a extra battery for it now ,hahaha .
Flench is offline Find More Posts by Flench
Old Aug 02, 2010, 10:17 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Get that antenna replaced. Its very sensitive to any damage.
My video was very bad too, largely due to the damaged antenna.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman