Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:29 PM
I once beat Colin McCabe
Southport, England
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEEBOY View Post
Im still waiting for wheels to be in stock so dont be too jelous
The latest batch of spares are SUPPOSED to have arrived in the UK this week which I am told has wheels, hubs and inserts on it.

I really hope this is correct as the delivery has been put back twice so watch the forums and the website for updates
Squidlips is offline Find More Posts by Squidlips
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:30 AM
I once beat Colin McCabe
Southport, England
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
We (Formby Models) have now received hubs, rims and inserts for the SB-5

We only had a limited delivery so if you want some you'll have to be quick!!
Squidlips is offline Find More Posts by Squidlips
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
flippin eck, how much are them inserts?

best check your website
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-racing View Post
flippin eck, how much are them inserts?

best check your website
law of supply and demand i guess - low supply with high demand results in some pricey inserts
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:25 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlips View Post
We (Formby Models) have now received hubs, rims and inserts for the SB-5

We only had a limited delivery so if you want some you'll have to be quick!!
thanks, ive ordered mine
looking forward to using the sb5 again its been quite a while
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:32 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
just how much abuse do these rims take? Im building a bike from scratch, for our stock bike series next year and with no weight limit now, Im seriously considering building it around a pair of these TT rims

has it been a common problem, or is it possibly related to other factors, ie very cold weather, or have the breakages occured during real heavy knocks on fast superbike, brushless setups?
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:24 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
just how much abuse do these rims take? Im building a bike from scratch, for our stock bike series next year and with no weight limit now, Im seriously considering building it around a pair of these TT rims

has it been a common problem, or is it possibly related to other factors, ie very cold weather, or have the breakages occured during real heavy knocks on fast superbike, brushless setups?
The original Rims (PD08-0007) can handle a lot to say the least. I have been using them since August 2009 (Prototype) and this full season 2010. I drove over 600 Lipos this year on these rims and only broke 2 rear and 2 front Rims. They only brake in really heavy crashes (full speed wheelies flying 3-4m high in the air)....
On top of that I have been using a special Carbon Spoke/ Hub Assembly thats considerably stronger than the Wheel Hub Set (PD08-0006) they usually break much earlier. I also have been taking the old tires off the rims in a (over night) acetone bath and they can handle that too.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:19 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
excellent thanks, have ordered a set of hubs and rims, and the belt drive setup.

we will see how they fair with my driving ability LOL
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:03 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
You will have to put about 20-30g of lead along the middle of at least the FRONT rim (between the grooves for the tire). Otherwise you will have trouble with the handling of the bike. The rim, tire and tire insert (+lead) but w/o the spokes should have about 110+g.

Pro Tip: If you have the time to play around try to find (=make) tire inserts that are heavy so you reach the weight without lead....
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
thanks Edi, thats very interesting, not heard of the guys here doing that, maybe I just havent asked the question.

sort of negates my reason for looking at them though wanted to get as light as possible, then add the weight where I want.

oh well ordered them yesterday morning from Formbys, so should have them soon, then can get out to the workshop and start making a mess
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:22 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
thanks Edi, thats very interesting, not heard of the guys here doing that, maybe I just havent asked the question.

sort of negates my reason for looking at them though wanted to get as light as possible, then add the weight where I want.

oh well ordered them yesterday morning from Formbys, so should have them soon, then can get out to the workshop and start making a mess
When you do everything right you will have the lightest possible combination anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
theres a good feature on the SB-5 this month in RRCi magazine.

can someone in the know please tell me the weight of their bike ready to race?

here in the UK they have got rid of the 1900g weight limit for stock, and the more I think about it, the more I want one of these
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
Quote:
theres a good feature on the SB-5 this month in RRCi magazine.

can someone in the know please tell me the weight of their bike ready to race?

here in the UK they have got rid of the 1900g weight limit for stock, and the more I think about it, the more I want one of these
mine is around 1630g which includes front brakes.
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:57 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
About weight.
My (our) Bikes have between 1650 and 2000g according to track conditions .
The good thing about having a light bike is that you can finetune it with balast if the track is slippery.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1 Posts
help with sb5

hello anyone out there can give me a setup for an SB5 and a setup for my KO PROPO Esprit 3 Universe for my bike i cant get it to stay up PLEASE!!!!! HELP
eh36 aka TRON is offline Find More Posts by eh36 aka TRON