HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Heavy Chevy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:47 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,848 Posts
Discussion
My Big Lama Tailboom Conversion

After damaging my stock canopy, I knew that I needed to make a tailboom for my Brushless Big lama, (BLBL). I have been sitting on a donor, a skyartec wasp that I can't fix and gave up on. The guts will go to my cybird P2 ornithopter but the tailboom has gone to my BLBL. After removing all of the guts off of the wasp frame, I began thinking about how to do this. The best part about it all is that I didn't have to spend anymore money because I recycled my pars, YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't put any lights back on it, I may not bother. I don't fly much outdoors in the winter and come the summer over here, it's light until 12:15am

Here are some pictures that show how I did it, I think its easier to look than to try to explain but here goes:

I used an angle grinder to cut some of the frame from the wasp. I attached it to the bottom, (where the lipo goes but without blocking access). I used some strips of metal that I salvaged from my old wiper blades, (I knew they'd come in handy), drilling holes in them was hard. I reused the rear prop from the BLBL and combined it with the rear vertical fin from the wasp; the prop spins freely.

The canopy is from the wasp and needs to be cleaned and painted. It's covered with sticky residue that I need to scrub off. I'd really like to get a bigger canopy on this beast.

I did a test flight in the house and all is great. Bottom blades are a little out of tracking but nothing major.

I can't wait to get this bird outside!!

As for pics, The BLBL is the one with the white canopy. I also included my CX3 with the red CX2 canopy just for a size comparison There is also a picture if the BLBL with the red CX2 canopy in it just for fun. The other pics are just some build shots. I hope it pretty much shows how I attached it, it was simply a macGyver sort of job but hey.....it worked!!

Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:24 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,561 Posts
Wicked DudE

Good job
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,676 Posts
Chevy:

A lot of engineering and thought went into that, NICE JOB!

For some reason I get the feeling it is tail heavy because that frame going so far back but yet the overall proportions look right.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:30 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,848 Posts
Thanks all, I've been thinking about it all day at work.

Once I stripped the wasp frame and tailboom, I couldn't believe how light it was, ( I should have weighd it).

Durk, I do have some room to shorten it if I need to, I can slide the boom in more or I can slide the tail fin in more without ruining the over all look.

I want a 450 size canopy on too!
Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy