SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Discussion
Foam type for starter pilot

What type of foam is best for a beginner. What allows strength and 3D ability for the small backyard flyer. I do fly but some foams just breakup with minor impact.
many say the Crack Yak 55 Mini is a good choice but I don't know about impact strength. I think it uses depron foam. Is this a slow mover and with maneuverable in small areas? Thanks Ron
darticus is offline Find More Posts by darticus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:02 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
What type of foam is best for a beginner. What allows strength and 3D ability for the small backyard flyer. I do fly but some foams just breakup with minor impact.
many say the Crack Yak 55 Mini is a good choice but I don't know about impact strength. I think it uses depron foam. Is this a slow mover and with maneuverable in small areas? Thanks Ron
Hey Ron,
Get one of the EPP Planes from Value Hobbie. For about 80 bucks total plane and electronics is about the best deal out there.
oceanway99 is offline Find More Posts by oceanway99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mancave
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
They discontinued the yak 55. Is there another like yours? Thanks Ron

I will search them out right now. Thanks for the tip. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanway99 View Post
Hey Ron,
Get one of the EPP Planes from Value Hobbie. For about 80 bucks total plane and electronics is about the best deal out there.
Last edited by darticus; Oct 25, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:28 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,906 Posts
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH CYEL (4 min 1 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Oct 24, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Which one is this? Looks really good. How much and do you have a link to this? Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Old Oct 24, 2014, 09:10 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Which one is this? Looks really good. How much and do you have a link to this? Thanks Ron
Just go to Twisted Hobbys website,,,many planes to choose from
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Oct 24, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
I know Twisty Hobby is good but this is a complete package with everything for $123 or less. I think with extra stuff around here I can get it for 60+ dollars. Twisty Hobby wants 169 or more for their similar plane. I might (Santa might) buy one from both as I like the TH 24 INCH MINI YAK AND THIS 32 INCH YAK. Thanks for all your help Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Just go to Twisted Hobbys website,,,many planes to choose from
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:41 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
867 Posts
Quote:
Any EPP plane up to 800mm wingspan and build light. Less weight is less impact when you crash, and you can fly slower.
But do note that with very light builds you can not fly in wind!

The Twisted Hobbys / RC Factory are the best, but depending on your flying skills the Crack Yak 55 might not be the best choice for a beginner.

Check on the other airframes like the Extra Slick 32" - I have just finisht my build and had the first flights, very nice and easy to fly airplane!

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...a-Slick-32.htm

I've started my first 3D flying with the Hobbyking Reaktor (also known as Techone mini Tempo) that is cheap, thicker EPP and very good plane if you build it light. I've started on a 2S setup with the C20 motor.

You also might need to learn how to properly build these kind of EPP profile planes, so I suggest starting with a cheap kit. After that, spend lots of money on the Twisted / RC-Factory planes

Reaktor EPP 3S Setup (6 min 52 sec)
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Oct 25, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Very nice flight. I guess I'm back to square one. The mini yak 55 from Twisted Hobby 24" looked real good as it was small and I thought good for a small area. The yak 55 32" from Halue hobby looked good but discontinued. Have to keep looking. Will check out the Extra Slick 32". Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Any EPP plane up to 800mm wingspan and build light. Less weight is less impact when you crash, and you can fly slower.
But do note that with very light builds you can not fly in wind!

The Twisted Hobbys / RC Factory are the best, but depending on your flying skills the Crack Yak 55 might not be the best choice for a beginner.

Check on the other airframes like the Extra Slick 32" - I have just finisht my build and had the first flights, very nice and easy to fly airplane!

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...a-Slick-32.htm

I've started my first 3D flying with the Hobbyking Reaktor (also known as Techone mini Tempo) that is cheap, thicker EPP and very good plane if you build it light. I've started on a 2S setup with the C20 motor.

You also might need to learn how to properly build these kind of EPP profile planes, so I suggest starting with a cheap kit. After that, spend lots of money on the Twisted / RC-Factory planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlkWVU1xhI8
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:23 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
867 Posts
You could go with a Yak, just make sure you start with very low rates and use lots of expo. Not sure what planes you fly normaly but a 3D foamie is very responsive. Especialy the Crack Yak 55, it's very "wild". If you have not used Expo and low rates on your transmitter look in to that first!

Plus the Crack Yak mini is more for indoor as it's only 100gram. You could normaly only fly it outside when there's no wind at all!

Not sure what 32" Yak-55 you are looking at that is discontinue, there a several normal and light verslons of the Crack Yak. "light" verslons are normaly also more for indoor use.

The best choice depends on where you want to fly, and in what kind of weather conditions.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
I fly outside in the yard. I usually fly when there's no wind. Its a small area only 75 by 75 feet. What would you say is my best choice. The back yard is 100 by 150 feet. Here are some pics of what I fly now. All and foamies. Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
You could go with a Yak, just make sure you start with very low rates and use lots of expo. Not sure what planes you fly normaly but a 3D foamie is very responsive. Especialy the Crack Yak 55, it's very "wild". If you have not used Expo and low rates on your transmitter look in to that first!

Plus the Crack Yak mini is more for indoor as it's only 100gram. You could normaly only fly it outside when there's no wind at all!

Not sure what 32" Yak-55 you are looking at that is discontinue, there a several normal and light verslons of the Crack Yak. "light" verslons are normaly also more for indoor use.

The best choice depends on where you want to fly, and in what kind of weather conditions.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:11 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
426 Posts
Value hobby has yak55, laser, and SBach's in stock. All 32 in. All 25 bucks. They all fly good and on 2S with a 9x4.7 prop will float around in small areas just fine. I fly mine in the front yard every evening.
oceanway99 is offline Find More Posts by oceanway99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mancave
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:23 AM
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Thats where I was looking at the Yak 55. They sent me an email saying the Yak 55 is discontinued . So maybe one of the others would be good. Which one do you have? Did you use all of their electronics? Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanway99 View Post
Value hobby has yak55, laser, and SBach's in stock. All 32 in. All 25 bucks. They all fly good and on 2S with a 9x4.7 prop will float around in small areas just fine. I fly mine in the front yard every evening.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:49 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,416 Posts
Because I'm always running into "stuff" (including the ground), I think the planes that use extensive carbon fiber bracing make for a maintenance hog. You're constantly regluing an end that's come loose. The newest design planes are made from a thicker 8-10mm EPP and don't need all that bracing - avoiding the hassle of installing, then maintaining, all that...... "stuff".

For that reason, any new planes coming to my hangar are the newer style.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:15 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
867 Posts
Ron, looking at the pictures of your hangar I would not call you a beginner. you have several 3d capable airframes.

You made me think you where coming from 2 or 3 airplanes like glider type / sport planes.

I don't know Value Hobby, but looking at that picture of that warped Yak 55 I would not waste the money and spend the extra bucks on a well designed Twisted plane. Besides the best designs they have the best EPP, made in Europe bij RC-Factory.

I'm not an expert at all, but I do think the 32" 9mm EPP's are the most durable.
But for a very small area the light or mini's might be a good choice as well.
Might ask your question in the Twisted Hobbys Owners Thread! I think you want something that flys slow.