SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Brushless Gimbal Connections to FC

Thanks for confirming that Fastrack. Deciphering the choices for gimbal controllers at Witespy is a little daunting. I'm not too hip with all the code details.

Thinking it might be easiest to go with his $75 all in one gimbal/controller with the Basecam bootloader if other users have been happy with it. A little heavy though. What voltages can you put into that thing?

One thing I don't quite understand is the connection diagram for the SimpleBGC controller on the Basecamelectronics website shows dashed lines going from the controller to the Cam Stab Roll and Pitch on the FC.

If these connections on the FC are only for controlling servos, why would one connect the brushless gimbal controller to them? How do those connections on the FC interact with the BG controller?
Darproco is offline Find More Posts by Darproco
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:58 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka District Municipality
Joined Dec 2005
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darproco View Post
Thanks for confirming that Fastrack. Deciphering the choices for gimbal controllers at Witespy is a little daunting. I'm not too hip with all the code details.

Thinking it might be easiest to go with his $75 all in one gimbal/controller with the Basecam bootloader if other users have been happy with it. A little heavy though. What voltages can you put into that thing?

One thing I don't quite understand is the connection diagram for the SimpleBGC controller on the Basecamelectronics website shows dashed lines going from the controller to the Cam Stab Roll and Pitch on the FC.

If these connections on the FC are only for controlling servos, why would one connect the brushless gimbal controller to them? How do those connections on the FC interact with the BG controller?
From what I understand there really is no requirement to hook it up to the Flight Controller... I asked this very same question... back on post #121 (May '13):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post24960305

Since I always research way more than flying lately, as it's always raining. I've read since that post the AlexMos firmware (SimpleBGC/Basecam) will make further corrections if it has the pitch/roll connections, I'm not sure if the Martinez controllers do or not.

My gimbal controller is still in the witespy mailing envelope. I'm trying to get my flying up to a skill level where I want to risk a gimbal and a camera - I have ordered a Mobius, so I may be digging into this again

This is the one I have:
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...-martinez.html

I ordered gimbal motors from RCMC as I'm designing my own gimbal to be 3D printed (my entire quad is 3d printed). I have to do some re-designing though as it was based on GoPro measurements and the Mobius is a bit smaller

Ben
Fastrack is offline Find More Posts by Fastrack
Last edited by Fastrack; Oct 29, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Thanks Ben. Turns out I was able to answer my own question by reading the SimpleBGC manual on the Basecam site. Here is a quote from the manual:

External FC Gain Gain value for matching the gimbal data from your flight controller (optional). For better stabilization and utilization of some additional features, the knowledge about the frame inclination angles is required. SimpleBGC IMU doesn't provide such information. Most of FC have servo outs for connecting gimbals. This outs should be connected to SimpleBGC controller through EXT_ROLL and EXT_PITCH inputs.
Activate gimbal outs in FC and set range limits for angles you generally fly (for example ,+- 30 degrees of frame inclination should equals full servo range about 1000-2000).

Also this quote from the "Follow Mode" section:

Almost every FC has servo outputs to drive a gimbal. It feeds
the information about the frame angles to this outputs, in the PWM format that all servos understand. SimpleBGC can get this information and use it to control a camera. It is necessary to connect and calibrate external flight controller (see EXT.FC GAIN settings). After calibration you can setup the percentage values for ROLL and PITCH axis, so the camera will follow frame
inclinations.

I agree with your conclusion that connecting to FC is optional and I don't quite understand how the two work together to improve gimbal control, but a lot of this stuff is voodoo anyway, so hard to tell. I'll probably buy the AIO from Paul, or maybe try that 3D printed Mobius gimbal with the RC Timer motors and just get the controller from Paul, but in either case, start out using it without complicating setup by connecting it to the FC.

I'm in Seattle so you don't have to tell me about rain. I enjoy the building and learning as much as the flying anyway. Once I figure out all the answers to the current subject, I start looking for something more complicated to tackle to keep myself amused.

David
Darproco is offline Find More Posts by Darproco