HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:25 PM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Discussion
Went inverted!

So anyway...the wife says it doesn't count if I crash after doing it, I say at least I had the balls to try it!

It just didn't fly the same as the sim once it got upside down.

My big mistake was I was too close to the ground when I tried it, I think.
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
Registered User
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,281 Posts
Damage list please. Would be good to know for those of us still waiting for ours so we know what to stock up on.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:42 PM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker dude View Post
So anyway...the wife says it doesn't count if I crash after doing it, I say at least I had the balls to try it!

It just didn't fly the same as the sim once it got upside down.

My big mistake was I was too close to the ground when I tried it, I think.
try the kbdd paddles, they might help a bit better
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
Registered User
funkindatrunk's Avatar
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2008
137 Posts
Wow glad you gve it a try. Fix it and try it again higher. You will make it. I crashed on my first try at it with a trex 450se some moons ago.

Nice to see a thread that has something to do with the subject (3d ele heli flying)
funkindatrunk is offline Find More Posts by funkindatrunk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:09 AM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Damage list please. Would be good to know for those of us still waiting for ours so we know what to stock up on.
Stock up on feathering shafts, main shafts, flybar rods, and main gears.

This crash wasn't too bad, those are the things I had to replace. I had the parts here so I had the bird back in the air and flying again in an hour. I have had crashes so bad that I've had to replace the main frames.

Also if your just starting out make sure you have plenty of main rotor blades on hand. Look around, you can find nice 325 fiber glass blades for under $10.

Make sure you spend a little money on a decent battery charger too. those small balancing chargers that come with some models don't work very well as far as actually balancing is concerned. You can get a decent charger that works well for 3s lipos for under $50.

Oh yeah...tail booms too. A lot of times your main rotor blades will hit your tail boom in a crash and bend it beyond use. A small ding is O.K. though. The carbon fiber booms seem to hold up better.

Hope this helps.
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkindatrunk View Post
Wow glad you gve it a try. Fix it and try it again higher. You will make it. I crashed on my first try at it with a trex 450se some moons ago.

Nice to see a thread that has something to do with the subject (3d ele heli flying)
I got excited that it actually flipped and it started going to the left and I tried to get it back over and it went in.

I might try it again today!
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker dude View Post
Stock up on feathering shafts, main shafts, flybar rods, and main gears.

This crash wasn't too bad, those are the things I had to replace. I had the parts here so I had the bird back in the air and flying again in an hour. I have had crashes so bad that I've had to replace the main frames.

Also if your just starting out make sure you have plenty of main rotor blades on hand. Look around, you can find nice 325 fiber glass blades for under $10.

Make sure you spend a little money on a decent battery charger too. those small balancing chargers that come with some models don't work very well as far as actually balancing is concerned. You can get a decent charger that works well for 3s lipos for under $50.

Oh yeah...tail booms too. A lot of times your main rotor blades will hit your tail boom in a crash and bend it beyond use. A small ding is O.K. though. The carbon fiber booms seem to hold up better.

Hope this helps.
I actually included a main shaft into the order when i ordered the electronics kit. The pic showed three main shafts. I guess that means they're sold in packs of more than one? Wow, they must really break easy.

My next order is probably going to be carbon fiber tail booms. Is that a good idea? Or will it just transfer the energy to the main frame and tail rotor?

I'm building a flybarless so no flybars, tho the comment about main gears is a bit disconcerting. Most of the mass and kinetic energy is in the propellers so the main gear shouldn't be carrying any load if the motor was turned off o_0
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker dude View Post
So anyway...the wife says it doesn't count if I crash after doing it, I say at least I had the balls to try it!

It just didn't fly the same as the sim once it got upside down.

My big mistake was I was too close to the ground when I tried it, I think.
Sounds like you might have been to careful applying a good amount of negative pitch? Did it feel lazy?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
finguz's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker dude View Post
So anyway...the wife says it doesn't count if I crash after doing it, I say at least I had the balls to try it!

It just didn't fly the same as the sim once it got upside down.

My big mistake was I was too close to the ground when I tried it, I think.
what felt different specifically inverted, from sim to real life? I ask because I'm yet to try an inverted hover in real life, other than going inverted for a sec when I was high up, and even then my gy48v gyro didn't hold (I have a spartan ds760 now). I have been practicing inverted hover on phoenix though, and progressing.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:10 PM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Sounds like you might have been to careful applying a good amount of negative pitch? Did it feel lazy?
Yeah, in fact it did feel lazy.
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I actually included a main shaft into the order when i ordered the electronics kit. The pic showed three main shafts. I guess that means they're sold in packs of more than one? Wow, they must really break easy.

My next order is probably going to be carbon fiber tail booms. Is that a good idea? Or will it just transfer the energy to the main frame and tail rotor?

I'm building a flybarless so no flybars, tho the comment about main gears is a bit disconcerting. Most of the mass and kinetic energy is in the propellers so the main gear shouldn't be carrying any load if the motor was turned off o_0
In a lot of my crashes the motor keeps going until I think to flip the kill switch. Unfortunately I don't get to it before it strips a spot in the main gear.

The main shaft will more often than not bend in a crash.

Hope this helps.
BD
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
what felt different specifically inverted, from sim to real life? I ask because I'm yet to try an inverted hover in real life, other than going inverted for a sec when I was high up, and even then my gy48v gyro didn't hold (I have a spartan ds760 now). I have been practicing inverted hover on phoenix though, and progressing.
I think like PHMX asked it felt kind of lazy. Also once it started going to the side my brain froze and I forgot what to do. So today I "off set" the cyclic on my sim so that as soon as It goes inverted I have to make corrections. I don't know if that will help but I'm thinking it might in Real Life flight.
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
P.S. I've decided to put in more time on the sim before trying to go inverted again.
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:17 AM
Registered User
jacky65's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
I crashed my T-Rex 450 SE V2 many times the first year I learnt inverted flights.
I If I had a micro heli (Blade mCPx for example) to train me over the grass, I would not have wasted so much time to make repairs.
jacky65 is offline Find More Posts by jacky65
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:19 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,261 Posts
If you can do a sustained inverted hover on a SIM, you can do it in real life. That is if you can get the heli into an inverted position safely in the first place. This is where real life really differs from the SIM. The gyro may not hold as well in real life, the flip rate, power, and pitch settings may be different. Also you have the influence of the wind. Therefore transitions to inverted, whether through a front, back or side flip often looks very haphazard compared to a SIM. It took me hundreds of transitions in all directions to do it safely in real life.

A SIM can really get you so far. I really would recommend a submicro CP to bash around. The Blade Nano CPX is the heli at the moment, being very 3D capable indoors and outdoors. The Walkera MIni CP is more stable and suitable for beginners. I don't recommend the mCPX or the Genius CP because their stock motors are weak and that cause problems for beginners.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Went to my local shop today... RJP3579 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 9 Apr 14, 2012 03:44 AM
Discussion Crashed the plane. What went wrong?! kenzietech Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 19 Apr 04, 2012 02:11 PM
Discussion "Ultrafly Cessna" went one way and wing went the other 2MuchAir Electric Plane Talk 10 Apr 15, 2006 12:58 AM