SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:22 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
I forgot to put the kfm steps in the plans. If you just take the wing template and cutfrom the spar forward that will work for the stepps and you will need 2 steps and one main wing. it works out nice and flies even better.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
StormDriverOne I hope you dont mind but I put your video in my first thread so people have a decent video to look at on how well the plane can fly.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:04 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,375 Posts
Don't mind at all.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
StormDriverOne I hope you dont mind but I put your video in my first thread so people have a decent video to look at on how well the plane can fly.
That's a great video and it really sealed the deal for me on building this plane. I'm now waiting on a HK order to arrive with the guts. I'll be out of town and may not get it flying before October, but I promise to post when I maiden her.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
I forgot to put the kfm steps in the plans. If you just take the wing template and cutfrom the spar forward that will work for the stepps and you will need 2 steps and one main wing. it works out nice and flies even better.
Thanks Man!

My first build I only used one layer for the wing and the Kfm4 steps on top and bottom. This time I doubled the main wing and again have the steps top and bottom. Curious to see what the difference is. I think this should be better than the first one. I am also doubling the foam for the elevator and rudder as your plans describe(didn't do this last time). I think I am going to add extra foam where you have added the balsa strengthrning in the tail. Simply because I don't have any balsa lying around right now.(lazy eh!)

I noticed Stormdriver added some struts to his horizontal stab. Is that beceause of the doubling of the foam that it needs the support to keep from twisting?

Time for some gluing tonight!

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:08 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
yeah the struts are just to prevent twist I have them on mine but my buddies didnt need them. after its all together just wiggle it a bit if it feels sloppy add a strut. you may be able to get away with one but i like to do one on top on one side and one on the bottom on the oppisite side. it adds a lot of strength and will allow no wiggle.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Hey 420,

All I have left to do is mount the motor. I just guessed on my last build but was wondering what you used as a reference for yours. Is it centerline with the main wing or split between the horizontal stab and main wing. Basically, where is the best mounting position for the motor? Pic from either you or Stormdriver would be cool!!

Much happier with this build. It will get a proper colour scheme. Not that there was anything wrong with the paint job my nieces did! Just hard to pick up the chicks with a kindergarden paint scheme on your plane

Thanks,

E.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
I did mine just above the main wing. the prop shaft is about 1/32 above the top of the main wing. I actually mounted the motor mount and found center on it and just mounted it I didnt even think about the angle and mine tuned out almost perfect but since i smashed my nose and had to reglue the firewall I got it perfect now and it is still just above top of wing and it has a little right about 2 or 3 degrees.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:38 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
[QUOTE=TheOne420;19417669]I did mine just above the main wing. the prop shaft is about 1/32 above the top of the main wing. I actually mounted the motor mount and found center on it and just mounted it I didnt even think about the angle and mine tuned out almost perfect but since i smashed my nose and had to reglue the firewall I got it perfect now and it is still just above top of wing and it has a little right about 2 or 3 degrees.[/QUOT

Thanks! Makes sense to me. Time to install

E.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:55 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
The Tribute Unvieling

Finally finished TheOne420's build! Squeaked in several late nights to figure out the CG. Had to reconfigure the electronics layout a bit but I think it is spot on now.
I think I hate the smell of Sharpies.
Anyway, I hope to maiden it at my brothers tomorrow. Nieces may get upset they didn't get to paint this one Oh well.....they will understand one day when they grow up that gratitude goes where it is deserved

Hoping the wind dies down tomorrow.

Regards,

E.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:03 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
very nice work. the paintjob is spot on. if it flies half as good as it looks it will never crash. lol very nice work and I hope the maiden goes well.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:41 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Maiden Flight

I finally got a chance to fly her. After rain, wind and bloody cold we finally have some nice weather again!
Had everything set up for my TP 3S 1350 battery but got to the field and a cell was dead. Swaped in a 2S 1300 but didn't really get the CG right as I was in the field.
What do you guys have your throws set at? I need to tame mine down a touch. Plus I am going to put on the SF 9x4.7 in stead of the APC 8x4.
I have to say that once again I am very happy with this build. A few more flights and this thing will be dialed in for some good flying and learning manuevers.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Yes, we Canadians celebrate it early!

E.

SBach342 TheOne420 version (2 min 26 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:44 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
very nice.i like the fisheye
yeah the 9" prop would prob be good with the 2s will it handle it onthe 3s? I keep my throws right now at 60% for everything except elevator is 100% and i can still do just about anything. without dual rates i have it full on 100% but i still need to tame the rudder down or add some expo would prob be good. i still havent got everything set up perfect either because i am trying to learn my radio still. lol
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Don't touch the appliances Kevin......hee hee Oooops!

I spent the day figuring out the best throws for this bird. Went with my CZ Yak54 suggested rates but scaled down for the SBach size. They work really well and I am very happy with them now. Need a little more elevator but the 9x4.7 prop is perfect and the CG is nice.

But HELL man! I gotta learn where my switches are. Got caught searching again and then lost orientation by playing to fast! But thats what I love about this build. I am back up and running after a 3 hour pit stop!!! Shes perfect again! Didn't even bust the prop

SBach face plant (0 min 45 sec)

Repairs done.

Time to fly again!

E.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
I maidened my SBach this afternoon. It took me awhile to get the CG right. It was flying pretty well until I started getting close to some trees and made a dumb thumb move trying to turn away from them. Cartwheeled the plane which cracked the fuse at the rudder servo cutout near the back of the wing and also broke the rudder control horn loose. It took about 10 minutes to fix everything with hot glue.

I plugged in the battery to center the servos and check trim. Looks like the rudder servo is toast. GRRRRRR! Cheap servos. A metal gear servo probably would have held up.

Sigh! I just didn't feel like doing servo surgery today. Maybe this weekend. I think my piloting skills call for EPP construction. I can't seem to break my good ol' Super Slo 28
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank