SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Crash9, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Gallery
Old Gold Mines in Mojave Desert

This forum should be a good place to put the AP videos I take when my buddies and I go to the desert looking for old Gold Mines and Ruins in the Mojave Desert. We use my RC plane to get a look from above so we don't have to hike all over tha place in 100+ temps. Here's some ground pics. I will get the AP pics up when I locate them in one of my extenal hard drives . Heres a link to my photo album: http://scottzpics.spaces.live.com/ Look for Mojave Desert album
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Last edited by Crash9; Mar 21, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,367 Posts
Wonderful pictures. Are these old mines privately owned? Just curious about the mine you found with you AP plane, when you go inside one of the mines, is it cooler in there as you go farther back into them, or are they safe to enter? As hot as it is out there I would think it would be a nice relief. Thanks for sharing, I am sure enjoying this new forum thread!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old May 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Hey QB, Most Mines are on BLM land so anyone can go there as long as you can find them (thanks to GPS it's now even easier). It's always nice inside (55-60o) to get out of the heat. Some Mines like in Death Valley can be tremendous in size and may take a day or 2 just to explore 1 level. Most Mines we visit are only an hour or two from my home.
At first we tried using a RC heli but it was to unstable along the hillside with wind so I started bringing my Slow Stick which has been replaced with a EasyStar that flys better in the desert breeze . I may have to bring my TwinStar and do some FPV piloting next time .
Old May 18, 2007, 05:42 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
Crash,

Great pics! Wonderful place. I'm surprised there are still tracks in place. Most tracks and even ties have been scavenged.

Are these mostly gold mines?

Fifty years ago my wife and I used to explore the Frenchman mine just above Las Vegas, NV. Solid rock and had some huge rooms. We'd usually run into half a dozen other folks doing the same thing.

The entrance was bull dozed many years back. Probably condominiums now.
Tom Harper is online now Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old May 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Hi Tom, most of the Mines are Silver and Iron Ore with the occational Gold and Talc mine. With the off-road trucks we use (lots of wheel travel) allows us to get to the less traveled mine areas and most people don't want to travel that far of the beaten path but the gang I go with the more remote the better, so the mines are less picked through. Some of them still have ore cars, tracks and broken laterns that didn't get taken and melted down for the WWII effort. The War Eagle Mine is close to Nevada and California state line has some of the best largest, un-picked through gold mines in the area (at one-time the largest in Cal) and that's where I'm heading in a couple of weeks with my AP plane to help locate more mines .
Scott
Last edited by Crash9; Jun 25, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old May 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Here's my latest AP plane for mine hunting after the death of my Slow Stick . For the unforgiving desert landings I chosed the MPX EasyStar since it belly lands and is easy to repair . I added ailerons and brushless out-runner motor with a APC 8x8e. I also moved the servos to the rear to help with CG. I have yet to take it mine hunting but test flights went without any problems and power is awesome, so wind should not be as much as a issue. The camera I use now is a Samsung Sports Camcorder 210sx with external lens (ex.lens not used for this platform). I went with this video camera for it's high resolution which is needed when trying to spot a mine opening from thye sky above. I don't use any pan or tilt on this plane either since I found it's easier to spot something if the plane is pointed and traveling towards the targeted area then flying by it looking to the side.
Last edited by Crash9; May 19, 2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 20, 2007, 03:41 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Surrey - UK
Joined Nov 2005
186 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I think this sort of thing is so interesting. We don't really have that sort of remoteness in the UK.

Don't think I'd be brave enough to go down a pitch black mine shaft though!

Keep up the good work

Alex
alex290684 is offline Find More Posts by alex290684
Old May 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Yes, very neat place and pictures. We have a lot of old mines here where I live but the rock is much different. There has been frequent cave in activity and its generally considered quite death defying to enter the old shafts.

It would be very interesting to see some more AP shots of those areas. Are there access roads and wagon trails away from the current access roads? Thatís great that an AP mission allowed you to spot the two buildings that you couldn't see from the road. They look like dugouts. Places where people lived (miners) that were fairly easy to make and took advantage of the local resources. Wood was a rare commodity and used to shore up the mine shafts.

Additionally being partially dug in the earth like that, it helped control temperature to some extent by helping keep cool when it was 120 degrees outside and warmer when winter nights plunged below freezing.

Thanks for posting those.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old May 21, 2007, 04:15 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex290684

Don't think I'd be brave enough to go down a pitch black mine shaft though!

Keep up the good work

Alex
Yeah me neither, I perfer the mines that have stand up openings and then I like to stay on the main level, no going down a hole for me .
Last edited by Crash9; May 21, 2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Here's a video from a trip a few weeks ago to give you a idea of what kind of area you can cover with a AP plane. There turned out to be nothing in this area and the landing in the video is what you might expect. This spot was behind Big Bear mountain off of Coxey rd. This plane is a TwinStar with Panning, same DVR camera.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9i_6AL1ljoE
Old May 21, 2007, 05:37 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
Are there access roads and wagon trails away from the current access roads? Thatís great that an AP mission allowed you to spot the two buildings that you couldn't see from the road. They look like dugouts. Places where people lived (miners) that were fairly easy to make and took advantage of the local resources. Wood was a rare commodity and used to shore up the mine shafts.

Dan
Yeah most areas can be access through a graded dirt road from a major hi-way like innerstate 15 & 40 about 20-160 miles of off-roading. Most of the time we follow the Old Mojave Road that is a trail the Piute Indians used to reach the Pacific Ocean up to 600+ years ago. Then re-used by Gen. Patton and his troops for desert training before and During WWII. Not much out there now but alot of history and the Rail Roads still run through it. I love this stuff .
Old May 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,367 Posts
I love this stuff too! Do you every take a metal detector along? I love to do that also but I haven't for a long time. But, if I lived lut there I would. My wifes mother and sisters live in Phoenix and I'd love to go out in the desert and do what you are doing, and Tom and some of the other guys. The only thing is I really don't know what I'm doing so I'd have to learn from some of you guys! Great pictures and "Show N Tell"!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old May 21, 2007, 06:44 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Ah the Mojave in all her glory.

I love the Desert too. Thanks for posting more pictures. The stage stop looks to be in pretty good shape. The beer bottles, bullet holes and graffiti must not be there yet or at least are kept to the interior walls. Hopefully it will be left intact.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old May 23, 2007, 12:39 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
I love this stuff too! Do you every take a metal detector along?
I thought about it but still haven't yet. A good time for it would be after a thunder storm and flash flooding. All that freashly exposed earth has been known to give up some treasures .
Old May 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
. The beer bottles, bullet holes and graffiti must not be there yet or at least are kept to the interior walls.

Dan
That's what's nice about remote area's the only graffiti is from the indians that passed through in another time.