SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:10 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Question
What multi rotor is best for me?

Hey,

Sorry for the noobie questions in this thread, i have spent the last 4 days reading up (religiously may i add) on what one to buy. Because i have never purchased a multi rotor people, i have no idea what the build quality, spare parts and how easy any of these things are to fly. Could really do with some input from anyone who owns any of these to help out

Basically I'm looking to do video and photography, that will be the quads main use other than flying around just for some fun! I have limited my options down to these but if any of you have any other suggestions please let me know!

IDJ Phantom FC40
- Comes with the camera
- Wealth of information on the internet
- Apparently very easy to fly, great for learning on
- GPS & Return to home which I know i will have to use!

However, I have heard lots of horror stories with IDJ with flyways (the fact that they have a Facebook group dedicated to horror stories with hundreds on it scares me)

Walkera QR X350
- GPS Mode & Return to home
- Mission planner which is an awesome feature to have a go with, something the phantom charges extra for (and is not available for the FC40)
- Longer flight time than the phantom

Issue with this one is that i would have to buy my own camera, I have no idea which ones to buy or how it'd work with the quad, is it just plugin or do i have to mod anything? (some help here would be much appreciated!)

CX-20 Cheerson
Pretty much the same as above, same issue with the camera, i have no clue how to transmit the video to a phone or to anything.

Thoughts to help a newcomer to the scene? Thanks!
TDMusic is offline Find More Posts by TDMusic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:41 PM
Great Lone Star State
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2013
552 Posts
Save your money and build your own..Simplecopter,com

See Matt's vids on building. $150 bucks and you have a hot multi that flies like a dream.
traceyl is offline Find More Posts by traceyl
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyl View Post
Save your money and build your own..Simplecoptter,com

See Matt's vids on building. $150 bucks and you have a hot multi that flies like a dream.
Hey Traceyl, thanks for the reply!

I'm actually going to be doing that too! I decided on buying a RTF one to learn how to fly while i learn and build my own too so I have an understanding of how all the parts work
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
I was on the same situation that you are 2 months ago and after weeks of reading and searching about multirotors I found out Qaunum Nova (Cheerson CX-20) was the one for me with best quality/price. I received it last week and made a couple of flights with it, it's really easy to control in stable mode (I had never flown a quad before). I'm learning here on the forum, by practicing and watching some videos. Like anything else it takes time.

For photography/video you will need a gimbal to stabilize the camera - search the forum.

You will need the camera:
- Gopro
- Mobius actioncam (the one that I own)
- SJ4000(gopro clone)

One of those 3 shall fit your needs, search on YouTube for comparisons of those cams.
dazed is offline Find More Posts by dazed
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:47 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
I was on the same situation that you are 2 months ago and after weeks of reading and searching about multirotors I found out Qaunum Nova (Cheerson CX-20) was the one for me with best quality/price. I received it last week and made a couple of flights with it, it's really easy to control in stable mode (I had never flown a quad before). I'm learning here on the forum, by practicing and watching some videos. Like anything else it takes time.

For photography/video you will need a gimbal to stabilize the camera - search the forum.

You will need the camera:
- Gopro
- Mobius actioncam (the one that I own)
- SJ4000(gopro clone)

One of those 3 shall fit your needs, search on YouTube for comparisons of those cams.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to know i'm not the only one that's been in this confusing situation.

Say i bought the CX - How would i go about installing a camera then getting a feed to something? This is what's confused me
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:59 PM
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
For that you'll need a fpv system, I'm aimed to install one aswell but not now first I want to learn to control it well.
I would advise the same for you.

But if you are really into it right now than search for installing fpv on the quad you're aimed to buy.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
For that you'll need a fpv system, I'm aimed to install one aswell but not now first I want to learn to control it well.
I would advise the same for you.

But if you are really into it right now than search for installing fpv on the quad you're aimed to buy.
Thanks,

You're right - i'd learn to fly it without anything attached before attempting to do any videoing, however it'd be good to have one where I can attach one when I feel that i'm ready.

Looking at the CX-20 It has FPV installed, so does this mean I plug something into it? Do i need anything specific?
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
You need a telemetry transmiter and a receiver, then you will have the image feed where the telemetry will be connected to, a smartphone, tablet, goggles or a lcd.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
You need a telemetry transmiter and a receiver, then you will have the image feed where the telemetry will be connected to, a smartphone, tablet, goggles or a lcd.

Will look into these now, thanks for taking the time to help a total idiot with all of this! Just been reading up on the go pro's wifi too - shame the range on it is so poor!
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
Yeah, take some time to get into this hobby, you will learn the meaning of the strange terms and sooner or later you will feel secure about what you want.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, take some time to get into this hobby, you will learn the meaning of the strange terms and sooner or later you will feel secure about what you want.
Mind explaining why they say the CX-20 comes with "FPV"?
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:49 PM
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
It does not come with fpv, they put fpv in the name because the quad can be used for fpv.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
It does not come with fpv, they put fpv in the name because the quad can be used for fpv.
Ah i see, thank you! Do you yourself use FPV on your quad? Just trying to price things up
Last edited by TDMusic; Aug 03, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
I don't use fpv yet because of two main reasons: lack of experience and of money :-D
Old Aug 03, 2014, 06:38 PM
Joined Jul 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
I don't use fpv yet because of two main reasons: lack of experience and of money :-D
Aha it's the same here! The quad looks fantastic for the money! However the phantom has the wireless cam, oh god choices!