HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2014, 10:24 AM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
589 Posts
Question
Floatplane servos

So I went to a float fly last year and had a blast.. I threw together a slow stick just to get out there.

found that a no lube condom over the receiver and ESC work well. I flipped it over once and no issues even my cheapie Tower pro servos handled the dunk..

SO I bout a Neptune 60 and am starting the build. I got a great deal on an OS55 so I plan to go nitro, so no wet ESC to worry about. and most everything is inside. so I will keep that stuff mostly as is.. maybe do the condom and rubber band on the reciever just for that extra protection.

So on to my question the wing servos are exposed and REALLY low to the water. they will get wet.

the kit came with two plastic covers but my servos wont fit under them (they are a little bubble with a slot for the arm to come out.

I saw the posts on corrosionx and I am for sure going to go that way..at least. but do I need to do more??

Should I silicone the sides of the sevos where the case meets? and where the screws go through??

I also thought the only other place for water to get in would be where the main shaft comes out. how about putting a nice silicone or Buna n o-ring under the servo arm to seal that.. then corrosionx the entire thing?

thanks for the input in advance!
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2014, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
589 Posts
I guess maybe no one waterproofs them...
Old May 12, 2014, 09:30 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
I guess maybe no one waterproofs them...
metalwizard,

There is some on this thread that have waterproofed their servo's, off hand I don't recall what page(s) the information is on. It requires that you take the servo apart.

Now, I've been flying a Foamy float plane for at least six years now and the aileron servo's are mounted on the bottom side of the wing and are exposed to the water. So far, (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems.

I've had my A-5's for two seasons now and haven't had any problems, but i sealed (clear package tape) over both the flap servo's and the aileron servo's. So far, (again knock on wood) no problem's.

But, your mileage may vary.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old May 13, 2014, 05:38 AM
Joined Mar 2014
84 Posts
All XQ POWER standard servos are waterproof,work long time under water no problem. you can tell me your needing spec,I'll find you a suitable one in our servo range.
XQPOWER is offline Find More Posts by XQPOWER
Old May 13, 2014, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
589 Posts
Awesome information.

I appreciate the input.

I will look at the XQPower servos. they are standard size servos running single side ailerons (dual aileron servos) on about 60" wingspan plane. so nothing crazy!

I do prefer a Metal gear servo but thats not a must
Old May 15, 2014, 01:47 AM
Joined Mar 2014
84 Posts
PM me if you have any questions.

You can get the XQ servo wanted from the local dealer.
XQPOWER is offline Find More Posts by XQPOWER
Old May 15, 2014, 12:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQPOWER View Post
PM me if you have any questions.

You can get the XQ servo wanted from the local dealer.
Thanks for the input I have placed and order!