HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:35 PM
Christoph
N-W Chicago
Joined Jan 2005
102 Posts
Libelle satisfaction

I received my Libelle in March and have been flying it since April. I'm a very happy camper, it's an awesome glider and I am completely satisfied after many flight sessions.

I too have finally gotten the wing mount a bit loose and will be doing the mod everyone has done to stiffen that area (it was fine for a long time but is finally mushy). I also added a little piece of PCB to prevent the elevator rotation (foam also got mushy), but I never really hit it so it's been perfect since.
The leading edge took a few dings from tall weeds on launch, but nothing to worry about so far. I may be adding a thin strip of laminating film just to the area. I did not modify the throwing peg or stiffen the wing other than applying the DF reinforcement decals. Yes it's a bit floppy on launch, but it doesn't matter to me, it does what it's supposed to do. I regularly get 1+ minute flights, many are longer, launch heights are 25~30m and I feel I can improve a little more. More often than not it's windy here, I would say 10+mph on average, often turbulent. The Libelle handles it very well even un-ballasted (AUW on mine is 278g).

I have been flying HLGs/DLGs for a while now, this is my fifth. First was a home-built polyhedral balsa Kallima Lite (French design by Gerard Guasch - not a DLG) with Micafilm. The build was challenging but the flight so rewarding. My first DLG was a Sleeky (same French designer) which got me completely hooked, it was my best flying plane a the time. I then moved to a Taboo GT, my first full size DLG. It's a real treat. Last year I gave in to a Validol, it's very precious to me and now shares a carrying box with the Taboo

Finally the Libelle this Spring. I just cannot commend this plane enough. I recommend it to anyone with some flight experience who wants to check out the wonderful world of DLG. To me, climbing up to >200m from a simple discuss launch is still magic and incredibly thrilling. While I have flown many years, I am only finally now getting the hang of thermalling, though not every day! I watched Joe Wurts' video on soaring on youtube, it tought me a lot (I have more to learn). Meeting this legend at The Bruce last year was a highlight for me. Totally geeky, not shy of advice, always barefoot, and just a really nice guy.

I am rambling and off topic, but I just wanted to express my satisfaction with yet another DLG, it's just really good stuff.
To those who feel discouraged, I could only recommend to get with someone experienced, there is the potential to learn so much and make you enjoy your Libelle so much more. As DF recommends, "get out and glide", I love this motto and it makes me forget the whining and negativity from some.

Thanks Dream Flight and other DLG magicians around the world!
Christoph
Fly-CH is offline Find More Posts by Fly-CH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:52 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,806 Posts
Can someone take the time to explain how to set up the control surfaces and programming for a DLG? This is my first DLG.
Do I set up a launch mode and if so, what is that? A little up elevator and up ailerons?
What is the throttle stick used for?
What about reflex and camber?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:07 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
See the sticky above.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:17 PM
Throw a Flow
Orange Park Florida
Joined Sep 2007
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Can someone take the time to explain how to set up the control surfaces and programming for a DLG? This is my first DLG.
Do I set up a launch mode and if so, what is that? A little up elevator and up ailerons?
This is the FW5 Flow build manual. http://www.pcm.at/downloads/Bauanlei...W5-BI-Engl.pdf There is a very good section on settings for launch thermal and landing flaps. I am not saying these settings are the same for the Libelle, but it gives a good reference for setup. As for the throttle some are using the throttle for breaks or landing flaps. You setup the radio to lower the ailerons as you advance the throttle. You may have to add some elevator mix to keep her from ballooning on ya. When setup right it works great.
tom@orangeridg is offline Find More Posts by tom@orangeridg
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:27 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
The Libelle manual is pretty good too at explaining the set up.
FabFlight is online now Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:14 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,881 Posts
Just some feedback on my Libelle modifications.

I split a .070 cf rod lengthwise. The split really easy, as they are all uni cf. Epoxied half of the rod to each side. My non-scientific bend test shows the boom has less than half the flex that it did.

If anyone wants to try this, the process is thus:

1. Sand the boom smooth on each side. Don't remove too much epoxy, just enough to get rid of the ridges left from the wraps when it was made.

2. Split the rod. It would be best if it could go up into the pod, as there is some flex in the pod, but I simply made mine as long as the exposed boom, terminating at the stab mount.

3. Make several long strips of plastic from a painters drop cloth, about 3/4" wide. Small pieces of masking tape on each end.

4. Cut several 1/4" strips of masking tape about 1" long. These are to hold the rod in position while it is wrapped with tape.

5. Apply laminating epoxy (not epoxy glue) to the rod. West epoxy works fine.

6. Lay one rod down the side of the boom. Fix with the thin masking tape about every 6 - 8 inches.

7. Recruit wife or suitable helper to hold the fuse while you wrap it with tape. Start at pod, using the plastic wrap. Overlap each wrap about 50%, removing 1/4 tape as needed.

8. When epoxy is dry, repeat for other side.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:18 PM
Soaring free outside the box
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Mar 2007
73 Posts
update to using silicone fillets to keep the wing from moving around:

After many days of discus launching and a few crashes on the slope I can report that this seems to work well.
The glassed wings are also holding up well deflecting a lot of the abuse I am giving this bird. Ordered 2 more kits last night yay...

David
pipejax is offline Find More Posts by pipejax
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:49 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,881 Posts
Update on my modifications: Boom is REALLY stiff after adding the cf rod down the sides.

Just put .065 cf rod spars down the top of the wings. Wing really stiffened up. Ran the spars only on top, and tried to run them down the high point of the wing. They turned out to be behind the bottom spar at the tip.

Put a cf cloth doubler top and bottom on the launch peg site. Peg will be moved back quite a bit.

Post pics later.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:28 PM
Great Day for Up!
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadablacsheep View Post

The best idea I've seen is a local guy who just made 6 slits with an exacto radiating out from post to fuse. He then forced a tiny strip of carbon tow into each slit by folding it over a credit card, and wicked in thin ca. SUPER light, and still holding strong... but he does not launch very hard, and mostly slopes. But I'd imagine it would hold up well under vigorous launching.
I was thinking of adding stiffening carbon tow on the top of my wing as well playing off the wing post mod described above. Make a slit down the length of the wing, force in carbon tow, (so its width is vertical rather than horizontal) and wick in CA. In my mind, this would prevent flex of the wing better than laying the tow flat on top. The drawback is perhaps more CA would wick into the carbon than if you lay it on top, and squish with wax paper finger as you apply the CA.

Anyone want to offer their thoughts before I try it out?
dadablacsheep is online now Find More Posts by dadablacsheep
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:34 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,806 Posts
dada,
I thought about what you are describing, and decided to not cut into the wing. I suppose your way would work too. Not sure. This was my first try at using tow. I really was surprised how stiff just running it on top of the wing made it. I can pick the wing up by the tip and swing it up and down with NO noticeable flex now.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:40 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
584 Posts
Now that many came up with various ingenious ways to stiffen the Libelle, I'd like to know which one actually improves launch heights. So, anybody is able to consistently launch to over 30 meters ? better? With data to back it up?
FabFlight is online now Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:52 PM
Soaring free outside the box
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Mar 2007
73 Posts
By my calculations I am getting about 3 giraffes in height
pipejax is offline Find More Posts by pipejax
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:33 AM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008