HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,789 Posts
Really Nice Donovan...Keep it coming. LJ

And I almost forgot Dominic did an outstanding prep job......

What most people don't know is Donovan came up with that color of Green auto paint used on the muscle cars back in the 70's...

Nice recovery right ???? LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Apr 09, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:54 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Finished the root ribs, spar fill and sand. 5.7 bias wrap around the LE. Ailerons tabbed with a little cloth and double stick. Kevlar hinge material cut, mylars cleaned and waxed. Found the cans of paint. We are about ready to bag the center section.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:37 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Center section is in the bag. Waiting for the epoxy to cure. We bagged it upside down, with one layer of 5.7 carbon on the bias, and no skin coat. Hard rolled after wetting out, did not roll very hard with paper towels so it would not be too dry.

Angled table was made from fine particle board, blocked up with tiles and glued down to the table temporarily with hot glue. Alignment was verified with an incidence meter.

Can't wait to get this one out of the bag.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:10 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Cut the elevator hinge yesterday with no problems. Went just like the last one. Did the fin today. This time I saw it as a trial run for the aileron and flap hinges and followed this video.

cutting the Aileron's into a moulded wing. (22 min 40 sec)

I somehow put the kevlar in the wrong place so I have to use tape/silicone on the hinge, but that should be no problem. This one has a much thinner gap than the last one I tried and the action is very smooth. My plan is to next add the wiper based on the throw I need, then hollow out the rudder as much as needed, then face both sides with glass cloth.

The carbon cloth on the skin is a much better solution than the 1.7 kevlar with reinforcements. Very easy to work with and very stiff.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:13 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Gear. Went with JR HV servos this time because I don't want to deal with a regulator and because they fit the splines of the Baudis RDS.

Raw wing out of the bag. Ready to start sanding the LE and cutting the hinge line.
Old May 01, 2014, 11:23 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Got the flaps cut out. and the facing put on the rudder hinge. Looking very good. Next is hollow out and put the wiper on the flap hinge.
Old May 01, 2014, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
Got some good progress on the mold. I put the plug in the splitter plate. This time I used epoxy and filler to take up the gap. Normally I use modeling clay. When it came time to pull the plug out to sand the edges down I came to the realization that it could not be pushed out. Too much force and I would damage the plug. I figured I would tap the splitter plate with a mallet. It worked but about a foot of the seal was damaged. No problem added clay where the seal cracked.

Had some concerns with the black surface coat. It was lumpy no matter how much I mixed it Used it anyways. Next time I will prepare surface coat. But the black portion of surface coat and use a squeegee to press out the lumps before mixing the hardener.

Used a couple layers of 1.4 ounce cloth, 3 layers of 3.7 ounce cloth, 3 layers of 8 ounce cloth, two layer of matt for the flange. Used a roller to make the flange flat.

Im pretty happy with results. Edges came out good. Surface is very good. Some patches where weave shows but it can be seen but not felt.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Old May 03, 2014, 01:15 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Nothing glamorous but it has to be done. Filed and fit the RDS frames and little parts. Installed the wipers on the flaps. They came out pretty good and should be much better than the tape/plastic I used last time. One may need another round to get it a little closer to the skin.

Installed the pockets for the flap RDS and did the necessary research on the angles.

This plane is coming out so much better than the last one I am getting really excited.
Old May 03, 2014, 02:44 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,250 Posts
Thanks for taking the time posting your new build. Looking really nice.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old May 06, 2014, 01:12 PM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
fuse mold done.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Old May 06, 2014, 02:40 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
878 Posts
Oh ya! This is getting exciting.

killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old May 07, 2014, 06:45 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,163 Posts
Got the RDS in. Read the posts, watched the videos, but in the end you just have to draw the lines, cut the skin, and stuff it in there. I'm impressed with the Baudis units. Don't need more than 45 degrees so I didn't push it on the wire angle.

Got the LE taped on and ready to bag. Got the elevator mounted to the rudder, just needs a filing and one additional run with the tap to finish it off. We might actually pull this off.

Tomorrow put together an elevator linkage and install the pushrod, horn, and servo.
Old May 09, 2014, 11:49 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,397 Posts
Look'n good, Greg. I've had good luck with those servos.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz