HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:01 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,680 Posts
9x mixing screen freezes

I posted this also in the radio forum...
Forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this question. I'm a new 9x user and I am learning this radio to be able to teach it to my Spanish-only speaking friends.

We already have sucessfully programmed a 6-servo glider (2ail, 2flp, ele, rud), and were setting up another one. I copied the program from the first one to a new memory slot and modified it to suit the other plane. All went well and the only two mixes we were using, butterfly/crow and ail-rud, worked perfectly. When we returned to the opening screen, we noticed a row of capital C with a little tail on it, and maybe some capital Q (couldn't really tell for sure) across the second row (the one below the model name and the battery indicator), and some little d letters in the third row below the flight condition name. Didn't think much of it, turned off the radio, and went to the slope.

There, when we turned on the radio, the two mixes were scrambled:
1. the rudder was reversed, but we could have overlooked that while programming on the bench, but
2. the butterfly mix now had the ailerons following the flap down instead of raising them.
Significantly, every time I entered a mixing screen (ail-rud or b-fly) the computer froze up and had to be turned off; every time we turned the switch off, it took about 3 seconds before the radio sort of flickered off.
I checked this against the original program which we copied, and there everything still works perfectly. So I assume I messed up somewhere, and I have deleted the program where the mixing screen freezes.

Any feed back on this? Thanks! Instead of copying an existing program, I'll set up this new one again from scratch.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2014, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir View Post
I posted this also in the radio forum...
Forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this question.
I'm a new 9x user and I am learning this radio to be able to teach it to my Spanish-only speaking friends.
We already have sucessfully programmed a 6-servo glider (2ail, 2flp, ele, rud), and were setting up another one.
I copied the program from the first one to a new memory slot and modified it to suit the other plane.
All went well and the only two mixes we were using, butterfly/crow and ail-rud, worked perfectly.
When we returned to the opening screen, we noticed a row of capital C with a little tail on it,
and maybe some capital Q (couldn't really tell for sure) across the second row (the one below the model name and the battery indicator),
and some little d letters in the third row below the flight condition name. Didn't think much of it, turned off the radio, and went to the slope.
There, when we turned on the radio, the two mixes were scrambled:
1. the rudder was reversed, but we could have overlooked that while programming on the bench, but
2. the butterfly mix now had the ailerons following the flap down instead of raising them.
Significantly, every time I entered a mixing screen (ail-rud or b-fly) the computer froze up and had to be turned off;
every time we turned the switch off, it took about 3 seconds before the radio sort of flickered off.
I checked this against the original program which we copied, and there everything still works perfectly.
So I assume I messed up somewhere, and I have deleted the program where the mixing screen freezes.
Any feed back on this? Thanks! Instead of copying an existing program,
I'll set up this new one again from scratch.
Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Please refer to section on programming and not re-adjusting any mixes under:
. EPA, ATV, Dual & Triple Rates, Expo Differences & Caution includes ESC / BEC Set Up.
With any complicated mix, it does pay to set up each glider individually - this applies to all known brands of Tx.
Another point of possible switch / mix changes is with a software change:
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use , quote:
"2. Check all Model Functions.
Aurora 9 programming is so flexible that no firmware designer could ever envisage and take into account
all the possible user settings and ensure that absolutely none will be effected during an upgrade and still get
the updates out in a timely cost effective manner. (especially free upgrades..)
Monitor screen assists check of each model.
Another reason recheck all functions each model is essential after an upgrade"

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, 9X, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry,
- FAQ, Setups & Tips {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:50 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Anyone know why the 9X is disabled when trying to save off a model to the PC?. I updated a bunch of RX's and saved a couple of models from my A9. Then I tried to save models from my 9X and it was saying not available? Wow!!! weird....
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:32 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
[QUOTE=acesimmer;27258450] Anyone know why the 9X is disabled when trying to save off a model to the PC?.
I updated a bunch of RX's and saved a couple of models from my A9.
Then I tried to save models from my 9X and it was saying not available?
Wow!!! weird....[/QUOTE

Nothing weird, the 9X has a more advanced system and it is not possible to save or transfer models between A9 <> A9X.
Please refer to explanation under date 1st June 2013 post #1 above or:
. Aurora 9 Model Name/Set file Transfer <> Aurora 9X

Later
Noted your differently worded post under RCG, in case your above post
was misinterpreted, have attached copy of relative page from manual.
HPP-22 shows Aurora 9X features are not available at present.
The three pin socket is for firmware changes but no changes are currently available.

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Jan 23, 2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: add 9X rearview
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:05 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
Issues with butterfly mode not working properly on 9X

Had this happen a couple of times setting up a full house glider. Using five different flight conditions, have setup the model with butterfly working properly. After finishing programing additional features like camber control, aileron-rudder and aileron-flap mixing, butterfly stops working. The butterfly setup screen shows it turning on and off when I move the throttle, but servos never move. Resetting the model and starting over again gets butterfly working, but eventually, butterfly will stop working again as I start adding other mixes to the sailplane.

Anyone else noticed this?

Since butterfly isn't working reliably, work around I found was to use flap control to drop flaps and two p-mixes to mix flaps to ailerons in landing flight condition. In all other flight conditions, flaps are set to no movement in flap control. This may be even better than stock butterfly as I now have a seven point curve for controlling deployment of flaps and when mixing ailerons to flaps.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
Had this happen a couple of times setting up a full house glider. Using five different flight conditions, have setup the model with butterfly working properly.
After finishing programing additional features like camber control, aileron-rudder and aileron-flap mixing, butterfly stops working.
The butterfly setup screen shows it turning on and off when I move the throttle, but servos never move.
Resetting the model and starting over again gets butterfly working, but eventually, butterfly will
stop working again as I start adding other mixes to the sailplane.
Anyone else noticed this?
Since butterfly isn't working reliably, work around I found was to use flap control to drop flaps and two p-mixes
to mix flaps to ailerons in landing flight condition.
In all other flight conditions, flaps are set to no movement in flap control.
This may be even better than stock butterfly as I now have a seven point curve for controlling deployment
of flaps and when mixing ailerons to flaps.
Problems occur with complex mixes which can not be altered after certain parameters are entered. please refer to:

. EPA, ATV, Dual & Triple Rates, Expo Differences & Caution includes ESC / BEC Set Up.

. Aurora 9 - Programming Problem? - Parameters be set in correct ordere.g. V_tail, see chart.

Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry,
- FAQ, Setups & Tips

Much more information available below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Jan 21, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:48 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,680 Posts
Alan, sorry, but your responses to Jeff's and my posts don't answer any of our specific questions. You mostly are pointing us toward links which are up to 6 years old and/or address Aurora 9, not 9x issues.
Even though I am a novice with the 9x, I've been using a MPX Profi 4000 transmitter for 12 years (so I'm no spring chicken when it comes to programming), and I too like the 9x's P-mixes over the built-in butterfly mix.
I have sent several emails to Hitec's service department looking for a response on why, after successfully programming a 6-servo glider, I get a blank screen and a continuous beep every time I try to re-enter the Flight Conditions screen; and why, under the same circumstances, the transmitter freezes when I try to edit any mix.
Would you have any input on these issues, please?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:32 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
I'm no novice with Aurora programming and I'm sure this is an issue with the current firmware on the 9X. I'm very familiar with programing the Aurora 9 transmitter and it's idiosyncrasies. Been using one ever since they came out. The model I'm programming into the 9x has been in use on my Aurora 9 for the last few years. I was using all the sailplane capabilities of the Aurora 9 with this model without any issues. In programming the same setup into my Aurora 9x. I've come across this issue.

Quote:
Alan, sorry, but your responses to Jeff's and my posts don't answer any of our specific questions. You mostly are pointing us toward links which are up to 6 years old and/or address Aurora 9, not 9x issues.
Even though I am a novice with the 9x, I've been using a MPX Profi 4000 transmitter for 12 years (so I'm no spring chicken when it comes to programming), and I too like the 9x's P-mixes over the built-in butterfly mix.
I have sent several emails to Hitec's service department looking for a response on why, after successfully programming a 6-servo glider, I get a blank screen and a continuous beep every time I try to re-enter the Flight Conditions screen; and why, under the same circumstances, the transmitter freezes when I try to edit any mix.
Would you have any input on these issues, please?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Alan, sorry, but your responses to Jeff's and my posts don't answer any of our specific questions.
You mostly are pointing us toward links which are up to 6 years old and/or address Aurora 9, not 9x issues.
Even though I am a novice with the 9x, I've been using a MPX Profi 4000 transmitter for 12 years
(so I'm no spring chicken when it comes to programming), and I too like the 9x's P-mixes over the built-in butterfly mix.
I have sent several emails to Hitec's service department looking for a response on why, after successfully programming a 6-servo glider,
I get a blank screen and a continuous beep every time I try to re-enter the Flight Conditions screen;
and why, under the same circumstances, the transmitter freezes when I try to edit any mix.
Would you have any input on these issues, please? Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Quote:
I'm no novice with Aurora programming and I'm sure this is an issue with the current firmware on the 9X.
I'm very familiar with programing the Aurora 9 transmitter and it's idiosyncrasies.
Been using one ever since they came out.
The model I'm programming into the 9x has been in use on my Aurora 9 for the last few years.
I was using all the sailplane capabilities of the Aurora 9 with this model without any issues.
In programming the same setup into my Aurora 9x. I've come across this issue
I respect both have extensive experience but reference to old posts is still valid as it saves continuously repeating old information.
which is largely forgotten or not known by many with the advent of so much ready to use systems.
The information on the 9X FAQ page is still largely relative to the 9X and provides good information
for many of the other Hitec transmitters besides the 9X.
The warnings regarding adjusting parameters at a later stage of programming and adhering to the programming charts in post #66 are from
own many years of operating and servicing various Tx & PC and submitted as a probable cause of the problems
of screen freezing and mixes not being entered or other programming problem.
All warning beeps are covered on the 9X FAQ page.
Otherwise can only suggest further referral to your service department

Alan T.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:36 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
Email sent to Hitec Support with information I'm aware of about Bfly mixing issue. See what they have to say.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:05 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
Hitec is going to look into it to see if there may be an issue with the current firmware. Their response to my request is below - I think this is good service.

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the information. I will look into this and hopefully it can be corrected in the next firmware update.

Regards,

Tony Ohm
Service Manager
Hitec Rcd Inc / Multiplex USA
PH: 858.748.8440
Fax: 858.859.2618

Quote:
Email sent to Hitec Support with information I'm aware of about Bfly mixing issue. See what they have to say.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:40 AM
I'm New
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
Hi does the new RX provide ppm out?
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old May 17, 2014, 05:04 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
A quick question...

I have just graduated up from an Aurora 9 to an Aurora 9X. For the type of flying I do, I need to have the throttle stick return to neutral (spring return) and not ratcheted for throttle use. I was able to do this with my original Aurora 9 by turning a couple of screws in the back of the radio. It was quick and easy.

With the Aurora 9, I tried the same thing. While I was able to get rid of the ratcheting, the stick will not return to the neutral position when released.

I've read through the manual and I cannot see the exact way to do this. Yes...I found the page, but it doesn't seem to work. And I have forgotten exactly how I did it in the original Aurora 9.

Can someone tell me how to set up the throttle stick in such a way that the ratcheting is gone and it spring returns to the neutral position?

I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks...

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2014, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD View Post
A quick question...
I have just graduated up from an Aurora 9 to an Aurora 9X.
For the type of flying I do, I need to have the throttle stick return to neutral (spring return) and not ratcheted for throttle use.
I was able to do this with my original Aurora 9 by turning a couple of screws in the back of the radio. It was quick and easy.
With the Aurora 9, I tried the same thing.
While I was able to get rid of the ratcheting, the stick will not return to the neutral position when released.
I've read through the manual and I cannot see the exact way to do this.
Yes...I found the page, but it doesn't seem to work. And I have forgotten exactly how I did it in the original Aurora 9.
Can someone tell me how to set up the throttle stick in such a way that the ratcheting is gone
and it spring returns to the neutral position?
I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks...-Paige
Besides the throttle defeat sliders, there are the rocker arm screws to adjust the spring, refer:

. Aurora 9 - Transmitter Mode & Stick Tension Change. + Stick Tip knobs & extensions.

Aurora 9, 9 X AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers Receivers Telemetry,
- FAQ, Setups & Tips.

Alan T.
Old May 17, 2014, 06:46 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
So, in order to get the tension of the spring active for the throttle stick, I should turn J3 (or "E") screw clockwise....correct? Thanks. -P

I seem to have the J3 screw pretty far down and the throttle stick does not seem to be spring activated at all.

----------Upon further observation...it seems to be both the J3 and J4 that need adjusting in order to give the throttle spring tension...right?

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 17, 2014 at 08:01 PM.