HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 11:53 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Build Log
CG Tiger 60 Kit Electric Conversion

Prequel addendum: After hearing about it on The Crash Cast, I'm adding this build in with Murocflyer's Model Airplane Building Clinic kit build.

After watching Mike S. fly his Four Star 120 at SEFF, I'm getting the urge to have a low wing sport plane again. My GF bought me a Tiger 60 for Christmas to replace the one I totaled a while back. Although this Tiger will be electrified. Here's what I ordered to put in her:

Servos: 4 JR DS-821 HV
RX: Spektrum 7010 DSMX
Motor: Brushless Motor PEAK 60 (50-65) 450kv (Suppo 4130/6)
ESC: Suppo ESC 100A OPTO

I was thinking 8S, but just noticed today that the ESC is only rated for 7S. So, I'm now thinking a pair of 3S 5000 packs In series will fit the bill. I just ordered six of them.

I'm hoping I like the setup and will seriously consider the same for my Super Skybolt.

--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Last edited by RCPtero; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added Prequel addendum
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Got my servos, ESC, and motor today. Also picked up the RX at the LHS yesterday. Now I have everything but the covering and the time to build. And I might even have the covering already. Need to do an inventory and see what I have.

--
Tom
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Okay, build has officially begun!! Last night I did some sanding and then started gluing up the fuselage. I wanted to do it first so that I could get an idea about what kind of mods I'll need to do to get the batteries in and out.

--
Tom
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
I rubber banded the fuselage together and did a test fit of sliding the batteries in through the stock hatch. I'm a very happy camper! They will slip in with zero modifications to the hatch!!

Now that I know they'll go in through the hatch into the stock gas tank location, I will build a box to hold them in place and will have Velcro holding them down once they're in location so they don't slide around. Very similar to what I did on my Rascal 110.

--
Tom
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:44 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Time to drill holes for the motor mount. I lined up the motor mount with the stock location and drilled holes. I'll still need to do about two inch stand-offs to get the motor extended in front of the cheek flaps.

However, I'm not real thrilled with having the cheek flaps. My last Tiger, I did a custom nose on it to close it in. That worked really well in place of the cheeks and looked great! I want to do something similar, but I also need to keep air flow running past the motor to keep her cool. This definitely requires additional thought.

--
Tom
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Okay, a quick trip to Lowe's Hardware to get some fresh JB Weld and I picked up the stuff to make my motor mount standoffs. In and out, flash my military ID and I'm out of there for under $20! That's a win for the day.

I'm doing 6-32" bolts with a hex nut red loctited at the head, a lock washer, a flat washer, then the cross mount, another flat washer, and then the nylon spacers. All that goes into blind nuts mounted in the firewall which are JB Welded into place. I will probably CA the spacers together so I don't have to worry about them coming apart if/when I pull the motor.

--
Tom
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:30 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Wing bolt blocks are glued into place. Next up is to glue the whole fuse together. Then I need to reinforce the locations for my main landing gear and the tail gear. I much prefer to fly tail draggers, so that is one conversion I'm doing as I build.

--
Tom
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good job. I saw one of these Tigers electrocuted by a clubmate at the CASA quiet flight only site in Rockville, MD, a few years back. It flew well, though not overpowered due to the weight, size and available power of its NiMh battery - you shouldn't have that issue!

Smart move getting three identical battery sets. With our much lighter motor/battery weights, we're down to putting the battery up front and if you have different weights of battery, the CG can wander around between them.

Good luck with your electrocution

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero View Post

However, I'm not real thrilled with having the cheek flaps. My last Tiger, I did a custom nose on it to close it in. That worked really well in place of the cheeks and looked great! I want to do something similar, but I also need to keep air flow running past the motor to keep her cool. This definitely requires additional thought.

--
Tom
How about a chin scoop? Something like the P51 uses??? If it were large enough, but still tasteful, you could cool the whole power system quite well.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
How about a chin scoop? Something like the P51 uses??? If it were large enough, but still tasteful, you could cool the whole power system quite well.

Ken
Yeah, that's along the lines I've been thinking. I'll figure it out when I get that far. Right now I need to build wings, but lif has gotten in the way for a little while.

--
Tom
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:31 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
I've made a little progress in the past couple of weeks. I've started the right wing panel. I just wet down the leading edge top sheeting and pinned it in place to dry. This evening or over the weekend I should get it glued down and the rest of the top sheeting, then will proceed to building the left panel.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:17 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Nice to see a build going on... I'll look the other way on the EP Are you going to lighten it up at all?
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
Nice to see a build going on... I'll look the other way on the EP Are you going to lighten it up at all?
At the moment, I'm not planning any mods to lighten her. That might change before I cover her though.