SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:00 PM
Joined Jun 2014
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
A buddy of mine lawn darted my Panther over the weekend. Though ugly, she will fly again save for an elevator servo. The one with that cutesy arm for the two push rods. No other servo I have matches that spline. Not even other Freewing servos. Grrr....

Anyway, if your lawn dart was worse that mine and you can spare that servo, let me know.

Thanks

o---O---o

Grouser
When I replaced mine, I just took the pushrod quick connect off the stock arm and melted out the hole in the new servo arm to give enough room for the connector to rotate but not fall out. Make sure to secure it with threadlock again on the new servo arm. If you can't move the quick connect, hobby king sells one similar enough to work. I don't recall the part number off the top of my head but they come in 10 packs for a few bucks. They will also sell you a much higher quality servo for $5 or less. I used Turnigy TGY-50090MG on mine. That's an all metal gear train analog that fits in the same space and won't strip constantly. It's expensive though; almost $6!
Focusyn is offline Find More Posts by Focusyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:23 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
84 Posts
3s vs 4s launches

Thanks Focusyn. I have already replaced with a MG servo as you have done. It would be nice if manufacturers would standardize splines as they finally have most connectors.

From early on I have read about launching problems with this model. I've got a pretty good launching buddy so haven't had too many worries. Just gotta take it slow and level until it gets on step.

For fun, I bought another one just to try with a 3800kV 4s capable motor. Stock fan and bumped up to a 40A ESC. 'The Don' Dopplered the highly unmodified 4s at 75MPH. No thrust tube or nip and tuck. I was as interested in more thrust as speed. Got a fair measure of both.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._for_64mm.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Here is a comparison of the 3s and 4s launches.

http://youtu.be/6UGr_VmxQkU

Cheers

o---O---o

Grouser
Grouser is online now Find More Posts by Grouser
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2014
57 Posts
Ha! I like the 4S launch there. Went all nose up and it was just "meh...fly it out" haha. I quit launching mine overhand because it had tendencies to do that if not perfectly released, plus the tendency to smash to pieces.

I wasn't aiming for speed on mine either particularly, but it came as a side effect of throwing ridiculous amounts of power at it to take care of the launch problem. My fan had a decent amount of pitch in the blades and was over-propped for the high rpm motor but I ran enough wattage through it to take care of launch problems.

I hold mine gripped around the top of the rear fuse with my thumb and fingers against the trailing edges so it's easy to get a feel for it and repeat consistently. I bend my wrist facing outward from my body so the thumb is on the far side of the plane and fingers on the close side, like the position your wrist would be in when you release an underhand curveball pitch. I don't throw it; I just move my arm gently forward with WOT and let go of it slightly past parallel to the ground. Throwing or pushing it = fail.

With enough power, you can almost just let go and let it fly out of your hand. If you check about 2:41 of the video below, that's one where I just let go of it and you can see it's already going really dang fast when it passes the camera. Beginning is same launch technique but its running a battery that does around 750w at the beginning and one that gets about 950w at the 2:40 launch. I could barely get the thing on camera with the latter combo because it turned so wide at those speeds. I got probably my best combo of power vs sound controllable flight characteristics with a zippy 1800mAh 25C that pushed somewhere around 850w but was about 20g lighter than the 1600 35C.

Freewing Hobby Lobby F9F Panther on 4S with motor upgrade now pushing 900+w Stationary Camera Passes (4 min 26 sec)
Focusyn is offline Find More Posts by Focusyn
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:27 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
I just toss mine overhand toward the top of the tree line on the horizon. At WOT she just shoots out , and at about 50 ft I pull almost straight up.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot