HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Sooo, there indeed are 2 completely different versions of the 09-9 servo. The new one i just received is completely different than my original 09-9 servos that came on the heli. I still installed it and did the setup with the RX. It was much, much, much easier than i thought it was going to be. The servo seems to move at the same speed so i am going to use it with the other 2 older 09-9s. If it causes a problem or crash, oh well. It will just be another to add to the list. I will eventually upgrade to Savox metal gear servos because of the availability of replacement gear sets.

I have one problem with servo setup, and it has been an issue with all of my smaller walkera helicopters as well. I can't get my pitch servo (the one i just replaced), when at "neutral" to sit at 90 degrees. Because of the toothing on the exposed gear and the servo arm, the arm wants to sit slightly low or high. Can someone tell me, I think i saw where this RX has individual servo settings? Should i attempt to compensate for the variance on the 90 degrees of the servo arm by adjusting the linkage? Or will this RX allow me to make the adjustment digitally and then recalculate neutral and limits?
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Ma bird is flying again!!! Yehhhhhaaaa

Walkera 4F200 Custom Upgrade flight (5 min 8 sec)

deliver1003 is offline Find More Posts by deliver1003
Old May 03, 2012, 06:50 AM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmonkey View Post
Great FPV setup with the gopro Jhebbel. Please keep more FPV vidoes coming. Its rare for a V450 with a FPV setup.

Will be nice if you can tell us your setup for it.
FPV on this size isn't rare at all, its those willing to pack on the extra weight of a gopro for HD thats rare lol

Cam is a GoPro HD 2 which records on-board as transmits a live signal via Fatshark 100mw (soon to be replaced with ImmersionRC 600mw as soon as somebody will stock them) and a set of fatsharks avaiter 922's (I like the FOV of the older set compared to the small small screens in the newer ones.).

Soon to build a ground station as well out of an old pelican case and a 12v 15in monitor i have.

Pics can be seen earlier in thread a page or so back
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Last edited by jhebbel; May 03, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Sooo, there indeed are 2 completely different versions of the 09-9 servo. The new one i just received is completely different than my original 09-9 servos that came on the heli. I still installed it and did the setup with the RX. It was much, much, much easier than i thought it was going to be. The servo seems to move at the same speed so i am going to use it with the other 2 older 09-9s. If it causes a problem or crash, oh well. It will just be another to add to the list. I will eventually upgrade to Savox metal gear servos because of the availability of replacement gear sets.

I have one problem with servo setup, and it has been an issue with all of my smaller walkera helicopters as well. I can't get my pitch servo (the one i just replaced), when at "neutral" to sit at 90 degrees. Because of the toothing on the exposed gear and the servo arm, the arm wants to sit slightly low or high. Can someone tell me, I think i saw where this RX has individual servo settings? Should i attempt to compensate for the variance on the 90 degrees of the servo arm by adjusting the linkage? Or will this RX allow me to make the adjustment digitally and then recalculate neutral and limits?
Try to adjust horn as close to neutral as possible, then go through the RX setup and that will calculate your max travel and from that should center itself. Fine tune later in TX if needed.
Old May 03, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Thanks to a digital level, scale, and balancer, my blades are tracking perfect and i got no more low RPM wobble, yay! Still workin on tail wag though, weather not cooperating today for outdoor flight, maybe ill fly it in our conference room lol

MVI_3707.MOV (0 min 34 sec)
Old May 03, 2012, 08:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Thanks to a digital level, scale, and balancer, my blades are tracking perfect and i got no more low RPM wobble, yay! Still workin on tail wag though, weather not cooperating today for outdoor flight, maybe ill fly it in our conference room lol

http://youtu.be/jUq5bwKTScw
I've seen people doing 3D with Walkera helis in conference rooms... I guess you ┐could┐ try with this one!

thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 03, 2012, 08:40 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:

I think your right, it looks like they upgraded the electronics board in the back of the latest 09 servo, maybe they actually saw this thread? From the pictures it looks like they use a more substantial output driver fet that hopefully should last longer and not burn out on the simplest pitch pump pre flight test and a cleaner wireing setup. Though the gearing looks the same. I've mixed the 09's/08's together on cyclic on the V450 no problem, since they are the same speed and basically the same except the metal gears vs 1/2 plastic so you should be fine. If it was a high end bird I would be more particular, but for the V450 not critical. This is a basic flybarless 450, a fender bender to start with before investing the big bucks and it is a fun flying heli that you dont have to worry about crashing so much, because parts are only a couple dollars.

The 2702V being a 3 servo/120░ FBL-RX setup can be adjusted using subtrim for each servo to get them exact center as opposed to a 1 servo/90║ setup like the beast-x and many others, including other walkera 3 axis gyros. So this is only true for the V450 or any other 120║ 3 servo setup flybarred or flybarless thats using 120║ ECCPM setup. Theres no need to dial out swashplate interaction though on the 3 axis as long as the swash is cented @ 0║ pitch, the FBL system will take care of the rest at all other places on the main shaft by keeping the swash level. (as long as your servos are matched and setup even within reason). The 2702V RX does not have individual servo adjustments like the B-X etc.., its all done from the radio side.

I found though, that if you get all 3 servos as close to center as possible but at exactly the same position (a little off center is ok, as long as all 3 servos match) with no subtrim/trim its a cleaner setup. On my TX I like no subtrim and no trim, travel adjust all at 100%, Pitch and throttle curves also all go up to 100% and then use swatts to dial back the Pit - 50 , Ail - 40 ,Elev 40 , and keep the D/R @ 100% then use some EXPO. The idea is since the mixing is done in the radio, to give full resolution on the radio side and also enough resolution on the RX side to get full travels and for it to work correctly. A good balance between the 2.

When doing the setup on the 2702V though I use PIT- 80 Aile - 80 and Elev - 80 during setup and then back it down to the 50, 40, 40 once setup is complete. this give full range of +12/-11║ pitch ( to account for the slightly off center servos, I lose a degree on the neg side) and around 8-9║ cyclic. Thats a pretty agressive setup for the V450, so you might want to use a little less, maybe +10/-10║ with 6║ cyclic. You need a 2mm flybar, the datum tool that screws into the v450 head and a pitch guage, or a digital pitch guage to measure the ranges. Just keep in mind since the mixing is done on the radio TX side you want to allow for full travels (100%) and resolution on the radio side, so its a little different than a 1 servo 90║ setup like most flybarless systems where the mixing is done on the RX side..

The great thing about the 2702V is that even if its poorly setup it will still work great, so its pretty bulletproof that way. But you can always get better IMO
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; May 03, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliver1003 View Post
Ma bird is flying again!!! Yehhhhhaaaa

http://youtu.be/-e3MS-treUc

Nice vid, I like the full scale heli that shows up in the background.......good timing.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
I think your right, it looks like they upgraded the electronics board in the back of the latest 09 servo, maybe they actually saw this thread? From the pictures it looks like they use a more substantial output driver fet that hopefully should last longer and not burn out on the simplest pitch pump pre flight test and a cleaner wireing setup. Though the gearing looks the same. I've mixed the 09's/08's together on cyclic on the V450 no problem, since they are the same speed and basically the same except the metal gears vs 1/2 plastic so you should be fine. If it was a high end bird I would be more particular, but for the V450 not critical. This is a basic flybarless 450, a fender bender to start with before investing the big bucks and it is a fun flying heli that you dont have to worry about crashing so much, because parts are only a couple dollars.

The 2702V being a 3 servo/120░ FBL-RX setup can be adjusted using subtrim for each servo to get them exact center as opposed to a 1 servo/90║ setup like the beast-x and many others, including other walkera 3 axis gyros. So this is only true for the V450 or any other 120║ 3 servo setup flybarred or flybarless thats using 120║ ECCPM setup. Theres no need to dial out swashplate interaction though on the 3 axis as long as the swash is cented @ 0║ pitch, the FBL system will take care of the rest at all other places on the main shaft by keeping the swash level. (as long as your servos are matched and setup even within reason). The 2702V RX does not have individual servo adjustments like the B-X etc.., its all done from the radio side.

I found though, that if you get all 3 servos as close to center as possible but at exactly the same position (a little off center is ok, as long as all 3 servos match) with no subtrim/trim its a cleaner setup. On my TX I like no subtrim and no trim, travel adjust all at 100%, Pitch and throttle curves also all go up to 100% and then use swatts to dial back the Pit - 50 , Ail - 40 ,Elev 40 , and keep the D/R @ 100% then use some EXPO. The idea is since the mixing is done in the radio, to give full resolution on the radio side and also enough resolution on the RX side to get full travels and for it to work correctly. A good balance between the 2.

When doing the setup on the 2702V though I use PIT- 80 Aile - 80 and Elev - 80 during setup and then back it down to the 50, 40, 40 once setup is complete. this give full range of +12/-11║ pitch ( to account for the slightly off center servos, I lose a degree on the neg side) and around 8-9║ cyclic. Thats a pretty agressive setup for the V450, so you might want to use a little less, maybe +10/-10║ with 6║ cyclic. You need a 2mm flybar, the datum tool that screws into the v450 head and a pitch guage, or a digital pitch guage to measure the ranges. Just keep in mind since the mixing is done on the radio TX side you want to allow for full travels (100%) and resolution on the radio side, so its a little different than a 1 servo 90║ setup like most flybarless systems where the mixing is done on the RX side..

The great thing about the 2702V is that even if its poorly setup it will still work great, so its pretty bulletproof that way. But you can always get better IMO
Wow, thank you. Ok so i am still learning how the CCPM mixing works on this because all my others use 1 servo normal setting. Currently at 80% - 80% - 80% as was default from last owner. I am ok with full pitch and cyclic range actually. I'm using something like 100% DR and 45 expo. 60ish expo on my more aggressive settings.

The variance on my new servo from "neutral" is very small. But after setting range & center it seems that the slight variance is still there. Its nothing that one or 2 twists of the linkage wouldn't fix. Its mostly noticeable at the far limits of swash movement. At neutral its very close to level. I'll just make adjustments after testing and flight testing.

I have no balancing tools because i can't find a decent one that will do all of my helicopters. The Extreme magnetic one looks cool because of multi attachments for different sizes but are always sold out. I Typically set my blades to 0 pitch by using, my eyes. The flat section of the blade grips and the blade mounting screw serve as my angle indicator and i use a protractor to measure the angle of the flat section of the blade grips. I tried a friends crappy little plastic pitch gauge on my 4f200 and it was awfully inaccurate. I suppose 2 blades will be easier though, this one was way off. At least for the 4f200's 3 bladed head my method proved better for pitch but i am having a tracking issue at low rpm. Plus my helicopter not only didn't come with the dantum unit. It also didn't come with the little stopper disc that is supposed to be on the top of the rotor head. I am going to order a Align rotor disc stopper thing hoping it will fit. I know its mostly aesthetic but i want it there. I wonder if my 4f200's dantum is the same as the 450 one. Its good to know that i can use subtrim to adjust for the servo, but i still prefer not to get into that habit. So i'll just see how it flies here.

One more question about the 450. If i move the TX gyro to 20% is that now RATE mode? And shouldn't i be setting up the rudder to fly mechanically neutral in Rate mode without any drift? I am not working on this currently on the 450 but have this issue with my 4f200 and would just like to know if i am setting up the rudder linkages correctly. Both my v120 helicopters will not spin, drift or do anything funny when i flip the gryo switch to 20%. I have not tried this yet on the 450 since i've only mostly been doing testing and slow flights.

Where do i get a digital pitch gauge and how much do those cost? When it comes to tools, i just can't see paying $5 for a piece of plastic when there is a precision tool i could be using.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 03, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Wow, thank you. Ok so i am still learning how the CCPM mixing works on this because all my others use 1 servo normal setting. Currently at 80% - 80% - 80% as was default from last owner. I am ok with full pitch and cyclic range actually. I'm using something like 100% DR and 45 expo. 60ish expo on my more aggressive settings.

The variance on my new servo from "neutral" is very small. But after setting range & center it seems that the slight variance is still there. Its nothing that one or 2 twists of the linkage wouldn't fix. Its mostly noticeable at the far limits of swash movement. At neutral its very close to level. I'll just make adjustments after testing and flight testing.

I have no balancing tools because i can't find a decent one that will do all of my helicopters. The Extreme magnetic one looks cool because of multi attachments for different sizes but are always sold out. I Typically set my blades to 0 pitch by using, my eyes. The flat section of the blade grips and the blade mounting screw serve as my angle indicator and i use a protractor to measure the angle. I tried a friends crappy little plastic pitch gauge on my 4f200 and it was awfully inaccurate. I suppose 2 blades will be easier though, this one was way off. Plus my helicopter not only didn't come with the dantum unit. It also didn't come with the little stopper disc that is supposed to be on the top of the rotor head. I am going to order a Align rotor disc stopper thing hoping it will fit. I know its mostly aesthetic but i want it there. I wonder if my 4f200's dantum is the same as the 450 one. Its good to know that i can use subtrim to adjust for the servo, but i still prefer not to get into that habit. So i'll just see how it flies here.

One more question about the 450. If i move the TX gyro to 20% is that now RATE mode? And shouldn't i be setting up the rudder to fly mechanically neutral in Rate mode without any drift? I am not working on this currently on the 450 but have this issue with my 4f200 and would just like to know if i am setting up the rudder linkages correctly. Both my v120 helicopters will not spin, drift or do anything funny when i flip the gryo switch to 20%. I have not tried this yet on the 450 since i've only mostly been doing testing and slow flights.
Best - easyest, fastest and finally more accurate way to check for zero pitch @ 1/2 stick (50% pitch) on a FBL heli is to just fold the blades back and make sure they are flat and level. This can be done from a 100 size MCP-X to a 800 size streched TREX, just make sure your in the 2801-Pro's monitor or pitch window and the stick is exactly a 50% 1/2 stick with the blades perpendicular to the boom fold them back parallel to the boom and if they are flat and level your at exactly 0║.

If you go to 20% on the TX gyro gain the red light on the 2702V will shut off thats rate mode, when the red light goes off its in rate mode. I set mine up for a few degrees anti torque. The manual says to set the tail up for tail servo 90║ and slider center (neutral) but I always set up for rate mode because it does give the tail servo a little better chance at having full resolution. If you read the spartan quark website they answer this question without commiting to it leaning towards setting up the tail for a slight anti-torque correction. i figure since they make one of the best tail gyros for the old Flybarred helis they must know something about tails on these birds so i go with theat.

It really helps if before you get into FBL helis, you know flybarred setups because its just a natural progression. Without knowing flybarred setups its going to be a learning process to get the FBL right. Watch Finless Bob's FREE vids on HeliFreak and it will be worth the hours time it takes in gold, because he goes through all the terminology and breaks it down so a 8 year old could understand it. Thats where I started, dude made those vids totally free where all these other guys wanna get paid for teaching people a hobby or being sponsors, once your hobby becomes your business........guess what....it aint your hobby anymore. Lots of opinions and reviews on the net, and it's very hard to trust information if its biased with the $ in mind or free gear/discounts being had. So the guy with the accurate free non-biased info is the guy to listen too.
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; May 03, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Nice vid, I like the full scale heli that shows up in the background.......good timing.
Thanks man! Yeah it was real one but mine is better :P
i'm happy to see my bird again Summer is coming and i'll fly as much as i can
deliver1003 is offline Find More Posts by deliver1003
Old May 03, 2012, 11:03 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Hi Heliflyer711, thank you for all your advice on setting up the Rx2702. I don't know if we discussed the swash interaction issue that Martin discussed with regard to setting up the Rx2702. Have you encountered any of the issues Martin disucsses in the thread:

HK 600 (t-rex 600) built + Walkera RX2702V flybarless

Do you think this issue is really going to affect a beginner/intermediate non-3D pilot?
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old May 03, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi Heliflyer711, thank you for all your advice on setting up the Rx2702. I don't know if we discussed the swash interaction issue that Martin discussed with regard to setting up the Rx2702. Have you encountered any of the issues Martin disucsses in the thread:

HK 600 (t-rex 600) built + Walkera RX2702V flybarless

Do you think this issue is really going to affect a beginner/intermediate non-3D pilot?
I think Martin ran into the binding at the extremes of the swash that the 2702v has on the bench..... The thing is when in flight unless your really killing it you most like will never hit the extreme full collective/full cyclic postion and if you do it would only be for a split second. Then again the FBL/RX acts different in the air then it does on the bench....as the heli is being moved the swash corrects and as the swash corrects the heli is being moved and as the swash corrects the heli is being moved and so on etc...........you see where im going with that. The bench test doesnt accurately show this, just like a tail gyro flies the tail, the 3 axis gyro flys the cyclic and the radio input is secondary when the heli is in the air. Chances are with proper collective management and especially for just sport flying it would not be noticeable and never hit the extreme ends. Bert K might notice it doing all out smack but I dont think we would

I also thought that the head on the V450 did not allow for full movement because the phasing arms are really short in comparison to the align/rjx heads that are out there but since Martin noticed it even on a Trex 600 head then it must be the RX. Heres a vid with the V450,,,, you cant see any strange tendancies in flight and its fully acro. Of course Alishane moe isnt going to tell you it sucks even if it did suck as he is a sponsored walkera pilot that gets his gear for free....but the flight speaks for itself i think.

(skip the advertisement if it comes on )

Walkera V450D01 Soft Controlled 3D (5 min 4 sec)
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; May 03, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 12:29 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Hi HeliFlyer711, thanks for your advice. I didn't see anything odd in the video, either. Judging from the hands-off hover part, though, he already has the bird set up very well. I did also note that the 3D he does in the video is very controlled and soft (as he said it would be) compared to some of the stuff I've seen at Helifreak with the Align 450 Pro. But maybe it takes extreme 3D to actually see any glitch that may be present. At any rate, I just wanted your opinion on this because I see a lot of posts about setting up the Rx2702, but nobody other than Martin seems to mention the collective+cyclic issue with the 2702.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old May 03, 2012, 01:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Best - easyest, fastest and finally more accurate way to check for zero pitch @ 1/2 stick (50% pitch) on a FBL heli is to just fold the blades back and make sure they are flat and level. This can be done from a 100 size MCP-X to a 800 size streched TREX, just make sure your in the 2801-Pro's monitor or pitch window and the stick is exactly a 50% 1/2 stick with the blades perpendicular to the boom fold them back parallel to the boom and if they are flat and level your at exactly 0║.

If you go to 20% on the TX gyro gain the red light on the 2702V will shut off thats rate mode, when the red light goes off its in rate mode. I set mine up for a few degrees anti torque. The manual says to set the tail up for tail servo 90║ and slider center (neutral) but I always set up for rate mode because it does give the tail servo a little better chance at having full resolution. If you read the spartan quark website they answer this question without commiting to it leaning towards setting up the tail for a slight anti-torque correction. i figure since they make one of the best tail gyros for the old Flybarred helis they must know something about tails on these birds so i go with theat.

It really helps if before you get into FBL helis, you know flybarred setups because its just a natural progression. Without knowing flybarred setups its going to be a learning process to get the FBL right. Watch Finless Bob's FREE vids on HeliFreak and it will be worth the hours time it takes in gold, because he goes through all the terminology and breaks it down so a 8 year old could understand it. Thats where I started, dude made those vids totally free where all these other guys wanna get paid for teaching people a hobby or being sponsors, once your hobby becomes your business........guess what....it aint your hobby anymore. Lots of opinions and reviews on the net, and it's very hard to trust information if its biased with the $ in mind or free gear/discounts being had. So the guy with the accurate free non-biased info is the guy to listen too.
Thanks again for your advise, I was pretty sure that setup for rate mode is more efficient. But freaking Walkera's manual just says to have it at 90 degrees on rocker and bellcrank. My 4f200 does not seem to want to be set up for rate mode so that the heli does not yaw. To do so requires moving the slider very close to the boom side so that there is not much range left. I'm sure i'll get it figured out eventually. In the meantime i should have the v450 flying again soon too.

As far as flybar setups. I pretty much have no interest in, have never owned (except the micro v911), and probably will never PAY for a flybar helicopter. Though if you want to give me one, thats cool. So its kind of taking a step backwards at this point. Like everything, I always enjoy learning about them though. My next helicopter will be a goblin 700 probably.

As of 3pm today the v450 is up and running. I put a set of those white carbon fiber blades on it because they were only like $6 to buy but i got them with the helicopter so i figured i'd save the stock blades. These white ones with the black CF stripe, i think they are called pro 3d blades or something. They seem to work pretty well. The helicopter is still balanced and very stable, and the pitch appears to be right on 0 degrees at neutral if i consider it the way you have said. The blades are almost perfectly flat. Waiting for a charge and i will be going out to fly today. Hopefully the winds will stay under 30 mph.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 03, 2012 at 02:24 PM.