SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
Build Log
FW 190 Version 2.0

FW 190 version 2.0
Second scratch built Plane to replace my first scratch built FW 190 that met an unfortunate end due to the bermuda triangle at the air field.

Going for 48.5 Nose to Tail
Wing Span 55.5 Inches
Weight unknown hopefully around 5 pounds

Construction Foam covered in Balsa wood or some other material.

Plans based on the same 3D model from my first build. but the plans are more like real plans now done with Nurbs drawings.

Questions I have concerning this build....

I would like to know which glue is best for gluing all the segments together. Ill be reinforcing the fuselage with Carbon Fiber rods. There are a few segments that didn't come out so Ill be hot-wiring those. I am new to using a hot wire so some of my later cuts are cleaners but defiantly a fan of the hot wire : )
PWJClub78 is online now Find More Posts by PWJClub78
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2014, 01:46 AM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
France, Centre, Romorantin-Lanthenay
Joined Oct 2013
768 Posts
Subbed
ttersu is offline Find More Posts by ttersu
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My builds
Old Sep 22, 2014, 05:27 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Could you use a waterbased contact cement to glue the balsa to the foam? I like sheeting wings with it but it is a heavy way of doing it.
Artful Owl is offline Find More Posts by Artful Owl
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:12 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,527 Posts
Subscrived too !

Edit : The best glue i found to stick foam on foam or wood on foam is the Aliphatic resin glue (like Titebond or any other brand)
This is the one i used :
http://www.topmodel.fr/product-detai...iphatique-350g

Rather fast to cure (assemblies are "workable" after few hours completly cired after 24h), rather light weight, very strong once cured and the last but not the least : Very Easy to sand !

i used it to build all my Me 109 PSS fuselage (see my blog to find a link on the WIP build log)

best regards
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Sep 22, 2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 09:49 AM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
Hey Thanks Dreamcatcher that looks like some great stuff, but I am not finding it anywhere here States side. Does anyone know if its called by a different name in the US or what its equivalent would be?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:33 AM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
France, Centre, Romorantin-Lanthenay
Joined Oct 2013
768 Posts
Topmodel know how to send in USA...but know also how to get money in your pocket...
ttersu is offline Find More Posts by ttersu
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My builds
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
ugggg ya I really don't want to wait for something to fly across the pond and pay a ton for it. Anyone know what I can pick up in the States that is equivalent.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
67 Posts
Anybody have experience with gorilla glue on the foam/balsa?
I've been using it recently and love it, since it sands much easier than hot glue. It is quite cheap as well.

I'm not sure if it will work for what you're doing, since it expands so much and you have to clamp or weight the surfaces together while the glue cures.
CaptBojangles is offline Find More Posts by CaptBojangles
Old Sep 22, 2014, 01:40 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJClub78 View Post
Hey Thanks Dreamcatcher that looks like some great stuff, but I am not finding it anywhere here States side. Does anyone know if its called by a different name in the US or what its equivalent would be?
Hi !
in the US try to find "Tite bond" or "titebond" i don't remind the correct name.
Or just google "Aliphatic resin glue", i'm quite sure that you will find some resellers

(indeed forget Topmodel if you are not in France - and even in France... they are expensive...)

Best regards
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:45 AM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
Testing Balsa Paneling

Ok so I had some time this weekend to do some work on the Plane. Here is a piece of the fuselage I did some paneling testing on. I used Gorilla wood glue and 1/32nd balsa. It seemed to come out pretty descent for a test piece. I had quite a bit of success using Windex to help form the balsa around some of the tighter areas of the fuselage. I am not sure however if continuing with Balsa paneling is the way to go. I think it looks awesome with the balsa, but then I started to think about it I am not going to leave it naked I am going to paint this Plane, why and I doing balsa to begin with? The Foam sands so great... why not fiber glass cloth it? Any thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:35 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,527 Posts
Hi !

I think the sheeting with balsa is not compulsory for the fuselage if you can add some parts that will strengthen it from the inside.

About the wing : if the wing we see on the 2nd picture is the FW wing... i highly recommand to hot cut it in only two parts (half wing).
The airfoil will be better reproduced and the wing will be far more stiffer, in my humble opinion.

best regards
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:46 AM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
Nope no wing yet thats just another image of the same fuselage piece.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:47 PM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
Paint Scheme

Now I am not even close to this part of the process but this is hopefully what the paint scheme will be. I recently had the opportunity to go to the Heritage Flying Collection and it was awesome. It was more than awesome it was inspiring Most of the planes at the collection are in fly condition and they do fly them. They have I believe the only FW 190 A model with the BMW 801 radial engine. This particular FW 190 was pulled from a marsh in Russia in the 1980's and rebuilt. These are the most imaculate war birds I have ever seen in my life I have post a couple of other planes just for building inspiration.

You can smell the oil and the fuel so different than those static displays at a lot of warbird museums. If you go don't ask the question "So where did you get the replica of the v2 rocket? " the guy giving us the tour was like " pffffuuuu What! no thats real" Anyway awesome place if you can a must visit.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2013
91 Posts
To Wash out or not to Wash out

On a more technical build question, I have been reading quite a bit about wash out... The consensus seems to be that Wash out is great and you should defiantly do it. However I have been examining some of my ARF models and those wings don't seem twisted at all and they fly great. A twisted wing tip seems counter intuative for performance and I am not quite sure how you hot wire that into the wing to start with. Do you twist the end stencil a couple of degrees is that all ? Links thoughts from people who have done this would be helpful. Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:15 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
Great thread so far! I have never balsa coated my birds, but I have glassed them. I very much like working with fiberglass, I think it's the way to go. Works great / easy for repairing as well. It does take some time to setup and dry, and it's much better to do it while you can sit the wet stuff in the sun...

There are a few tricks I've learned...
1. Use lightweight cloth/weave (0.5 to 1oz).
http://www.cstsales.com/e_glass_cloth.html
2. Use a good 2 part epoxy, like West Systems, so there is no need to thin, and it can be squeegeed on with a credit card.
3. Use a foam safe spray like this re-positional one from Locktite.
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-140802...1995306&sr=8-3

I would recommend a ~3 degree washout on your FW190, it works works excellent on my wing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2220673
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty