HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:15 AM
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Discussion
Tango 40 ARF, Engine and Engine Mount Question

I am putting together a Tango 40 ARF and need some advice on engine selection and mounting. The fire wall of the fuselage has eight (8) pre-drilled and threaded holes with locking nuts behind them. It's not clear, however, if these are "keyed" to any particular engine mount/engine. For glow operation, the Pulse manual recommends an Evolution 52 NX. Are the pre-drilled holes "keyed" to mounting this particular engine or one similiar? I own an OS 46 that I would like to install in the Tango, but the mount I have for the OS 46 does not match or fit any of the pre-drilled holes. Thoughts? Advice? One easy "fix" here, I guess, is to simply drill new holes in the fire wall for the OS 46 (or, alternately, I guess I could just buy an Evolution 52 NX, but that is $100). Would four (4) additional drilled holes--in addition to the eight (8) holes already present in the fire wall-- compromise the structural integrity of the fire wall? That's a lot of holes! I'm relatively new to r/c, so I hope these questions are not too naive. Thanks.
Jim Hargett is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hargett
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:23 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
I'd go with the motor you have. You could put bolts in the pre existing holes & give them a tap with something to push out the blind nuts. I doubt drilling 4 new holes in the firewall would hurt the integrity of the firewall, but you could fill the holes with epoxey if you think there is a chance it would. Another solution is to just epoxey a new thin piece of ply (1/8) over the existing firewall , then just drill thru both to mount your motor mount. This would strengthen the front firewall without adding any significant amount of weight....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:58 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,150 Posts
Your engine would work fine in the plane.

The four vertical holes are for the engine mount and the four holes forming a X like pattern are for the electric motor option (two hole center top and bottom and two holes centered left and right.

The engine mount should match up with the four holes that are in the four corners left and right. The Evo .52 engine is a generic .45 size engine case that has the same size as many other engines do in the .45 through .56 size range, including the Evo .60NX too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
If its a Hangar9 plane.. it will probably be set-up/drilled for a Hangar9 engine mount... and yes.. if theres an example or recomendation given of something(in this case its an EVO.52), it will be of the same supplier(in this case it would Horizon I believe)..

I do know Hanger9 does have some decent mounts with thier kits.. that are "keyed" to be installed with the recomended(or otherwise in most cases) components.

A factory mount will work fine with your OS very easily also.. as there all beam mount style for glow most likely... and the other set of holes, as mentioned above is for an alternative E motor... it has to be.. as I'm sure more and more..if not all companies are making these retro either motor or engine...

I've actually got a very nice running EVO.52 I've contemplated selling. Its on my Showtime50, and I've wanted to up that power to a larger 4-stroke.... I acquired the .52second hand brand new.. and was very surprised at the ease the engine runs.. literally the easiest running engine I've ever owned. Wish it had more power... its on the low end for that plane though, and the Showtime is a bit bigger then the Tango I think..... but it was a combo deal I couldn't pass up... as it was never ran, or flown..and at this point, its only got about 10 gentle runs on it.. You'd like the .52 though.. I found it very user friendly.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Guys: Many thanks for all your good advice on this matter. Let me go check on the Hangar 9 engine mounts and see if they have one that will accomodate the OS 46. If they do have one, then the issue is resolved. Thanks again. jim

PS: DGrant: Could I ask how much you would ask for the Evolution 52? My direct email address is: James.Hargett@gmail.com
Jim Hargett is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hargett