HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:52 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,364 Posts
Nice job on that,looks good.As for me the zeph is more of a novelty to take out during fly ins,for reg flying I have my other prop hotliners so I leave the zeph stock,But thinking that might be a fun mod on my blizz just to play and practice crow
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:19 PM
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
Does anyone have a canopy they aren't using? (Lost mine to wing flutter.)

Hi Guys,

I maidened my Durafly Zephyr EDF Glider today (stock setup, on 3 cell, wings taped as per PDF from Multiplex Blizzard as found on this thread) and less than 30 seconds into the flight, on my second circuit around the field, on a level speed pass at full throttle the wings started to flutter violently and before I could react the battery and canopy were ejected! I lost both. The plane surprisingly floated down in kinda of a flat spin and landed gently without any damage.

But I just don't understand how Hobby King can continue to sell this plane when the design is clearly NOT ACCEPTABLE, even when flown as suggested right out of the box! I spent hard earned money for this thing and expected it to work "as advertised/shown" in the video. I don't know how some of you guys are able to do speed dives and fly it on 4 cells ;-)

Anyway, does anyone have a canopy they aren't using? I'd be happy to pay for shipping and a little extra for your trouble.

Thanks,
Mike
mm51 is offline Find More Posts by mm51
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:38 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm51 View Post
Hi Guys,

I maidened my Durafly Zephyr EDF Glider today (stock setup, on 3 cell, wings taped as per PDF from Multiplex Blizzard as found on this thread) and less than 30 seconds into the flight, on my second circuit around the field, on a level speed pass at full throttle the wings started to flutter violently and before I could react the battery and canopy were ejected! I lost both. The plane surprisingly floated down in kinda of a flat spin and landed gently without any damage.

But I just don't understand how Hobby King can continue to sell this plane when the design is clearly NOT ACCEPTABLE, even when flown as suggested right out of the box! I spent hard earned money for this thing and expected it to work "as advertised/shown" in the video. I don't know how some of you guys are able to do speed dives and fly it on 4 cells ;-)

Anyway, does anyone have a canopy they aren't using? I'd be happy to pay for shipping and a little extra for your trouble.

Thanks,
Mike
Wow on 3s you got flutter. Sorry for your loss of canopy, thanks God the airframe is ok.
I kicked a battery and canopy one time,although it was due to inverted flying.
I fly 4s with really no problem although I use a very heavy 4s 3300. And tape the heck out of the wings with extreme tape.
I added some flat carbon. About half way out to the tip...

Make sure you tape the leading edge of the wing to the fuse, and bolt the wings super tight... No straight down dives wot only go wot flat and level into the wind or with the wind. Try not to catch cross wind with full speeds.... Good luck enjoy the v70 it's really a blast and sounds sweet
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:14 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Mike

Unfortunately the flutter quotient varies per ship. I had three flutters using 3S flying S and L. No pre-dive. Did have the coffee-cup EDF mod on two of them. Finally gave up and fitted a Discus wing (it's in this thread) - Can go fast at will now...

Sorry for you experience.

Eric.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Aug 07, 2014, 09:28 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, let me check tonight, I think I still have a spare canopy from my old V70 hopefully I can find it tonight if your still interested.

Send me a PM so we can exchange email address.

Nigel.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 07, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
OK, thanks guys...

I have placed an order for the DLG balsa wing from Tower Hobbies and hopefully that will do the trick. Fingers crossed and breath being held ;-)

I am still looking for a spare canopy though (Nigel wasn't able to locate his spare one yet.) if anyone else has one.

Thanks a lot,
Mike
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
Customer Support is horrible...

But I'm sure anyone who has dealt with them already knows!

Took them five whole days to reply and tell me that they don't warranty for crash damage or loss.

Well how about design flaws or false advertising??? Do they warranty for those?
I'm still waiting to hear back...

(They wouldn't even give me a replacement canopy. )

Oh and they deleted my bad review and blanked out my negative comment on the plane webpage. Nice!

I'm sticking with MotionRC.com or Horizon Hobbies from now on. (There customer support is incredible!)
Last edited by mm51; Aug 10, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:42 AM
Essex
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
But I'm sure anyone who has dealt with them already knows!

Took them five whole days to reply and tell me that they don't warranty for crash damage or loss.

Well how about design flaws or false advertising??? Do they warranty for those?
I'm still waiting to hear back...

(They wouldn't even give me a replacement canopy. )

Oh and they deleted my bad review and blanked out my negative comment on the plane webpage. Nice!

I'm sticking with MotionRC.com or Horizon Hobbies from now on. (There customer support is incredible!)
Took my Zeph out for the first time yesterday, flies/sounds good, VERY windy day (all we get recently), kept stalling it turning into wind, maybe that's a skill I've got to learn.
As for HK's support, it's diabolical! Five days is normal for them to get back to you, and totally mis-understand what you've said, so you explain again and wait ANOTHER five days and hope that the person that picks it up this time can read. They sensor all negative comments on their reviews, their forums and their Facebook page. About as transparent and fair as the Zimbabwean political system!
Forget Horizon Hobby too, when they make spares they immediately fulfill all orders for the US, and IF there are any left over, the rest of the world can have some!
Electrev is offline Find More Posts by Electrev
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:03 AM
Essex
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Mine maidened

Just said, I maidened mine yesterday, setup: 3s 3300 LiPo, stock motor/fan/esc, tape EVERYWHERE (this was an EBay special). The only unique thing I did was to fit an Eagle Tree Guardian auto-pilot, apart from all the other things it does it makes the hand-launch a lot less "iffy".
I also see in some videos people use rubber bands round the canopy, I discovered I needed that at the field BEFORE I saw the videos, because I couldn't get said canopy to stay on securely without it. I think the rubber band is an under-rated ESSENTIAL on this model, as the canopy is the only thing keeping your battery in, therefore avoiding certain disaster.
The model flew much like any other EDF, except you can just cut the throttle and glide it really well. Couldn't do that with an EDF F-16! It handled the very strong wind really well too, except for that turning-into-the-wind thing, where it just starts to drop! Luckily I was a couple of accidents high. Maybe the trick when doing that down-wind turn is to have full throttle and do a very gentle turn. Possibly my fault, I've been flying my fun-flies a lot lately, and got used to turning on a six-pence.
Overall I'm pleased with it, I do agree it's not an everyday model, for me it's a windy day or special club day model. Back to the Lil' Banchee 3D and the Limbo Dancer!
Electrev is offline Find More Posts by Electrev
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:36 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
Unfortunately the flutter quotient varies per ship. I had three flutters using 3S flying S and L. No pre-dive. Did have the coffee-cup EDF mod on two of them. Finally gave up and fitted a Discus wing (it's in this thread) - Can go fast at will now...

Eric.
Agree 3 cell flutter is a reality. Have seen it on 2 different stock models but only after hard sticking the elevator or pulling out of a steep power dive.

I seem to remember Scott from HK denying this was possible in an earlier post?
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
ESC outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
In an effort to create more space in the battery bay I have mounted my esc behind the fan.
Didn't want to do any cutting and shutting just yet.
Hopefully i get a chance to try it out on the weekend.
Hey there Jim,

Did you have any joy with this approach. Keen to get mine in the air and also mounted my ESC behind the EDF outside the plane.
YanivMeyer is offline Find More Posts by YanivMeyer
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:33 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
A-spec battery

Friend of mine loaned me a 3200 3 cell Turnigy A-spec battery after my 3rd Zephyr rebuild. (Wing structual failure).
WOW! I knew my Nano-Techs were stuffed but what a difference this made to the power. Didn't fit properly and had to leave the canopy off but I'm sure I can find a better fit in the range.
Anyone else tried these in this plane?
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2014
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrev View Post
Took my Zeph out for the first time yesterday, flies/sounds good, VERY windy day (all we get recently), kept stalling it turning into wind, maybe that's a skill I've got to learn.
As for HK's support, it's diabolical! Five days is normal for them to get back to you, and totally mis-understand what you've said, so you explain again and wait ANOTHER five days and hope that the person that picks it up this time can read. They sensor all negative comments on their reviews, their forums and their Facebook page. About as transparent and fair as the Zimbabwean political system!
Forget Horizon Hobby too, when they make spares they immediately fulfill all orders for the US, and IF there are any left over, the rest of the world can have some!
Re: your comment on Horizon. So what?
They are a US company and they told me (via phone call to their sales guys), that most of their sales are to Americans and to American hobby shops.
What did you expect? Fulfill the orders in their largest customer base first is just good business. And they offer great support, which is not the case for HK, based on all the complaints I see on this web site.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:29 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,364 Posts
Yep,and call tower or horizon and tell them your plane crashed or some parts fell off during flight and you want it replaced and see what happens,nobody warranties crash damage.I have had some bad planes,just had a rifle1m with a bad wing warp,caused a crash on 1st flight,think they would replace it after crash?nope they won't
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer