SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
Iv had tons of work with modeling.. and what you can do is go in and Increase the side area of the model, which will Decrease the amount of rudder usage when in KE flight. Essentially thats what SFG's (side force generators) do.
Would the interplane struts that go between the wings act as side force generators also? They look like good candidates to me along with your suggestion.

I've pm'd the author of the UMX Beast in RF5.5 to find out how he went about modeling this plane. Is it a true scaled down version or did he take one that was already in RF or did he "eye it to good enough specs"?

I haven't tried it yet but you could apply the technics of trimming an aerobatic 3d plane on this sim model. There are guides on how to do this all over the internet. Here is one

http://www.flyrc.com/500505

Follow what it instructs, and to edit the aircraft you just go into the edit aircraft screen.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 28, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Would the interplane struts that go between the wings act as side force generators also? They look like good candidates to me along with your suggestion.

I've pm'd the author of the UMX Beast in RF5.5 to find out how he went about modeling this plane. Is it a true scaled down version or did he take one that was already in RF?

I haven't tried it yet but you could apply the technics of trimming an aerobatic 3d plane on this sim model. There are guides on how to do this all over the internet. Here is one
I can fly the real wee beastie fairly well. The RF 5.5 one hardly at all. If I had spent any time with the RF version I would have never bought the model. Maybe it is specific to my setup, usually the sim versions seem to typify the models pretty well.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
On the topic of flight-trimming aerobatic planes - here's an in-depth, step-by-step flight trimming & flight-behavior troubleshooting guide - courtesy of NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics). Following the proper order eliminates most of the tail-chasing that often ensues when the tests & adjustments are not performed in the proper sequence:

http://nsrca.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:t rimchart&catid=114:flying&Itemid=187

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Thanks Turboparker.

Anyone know whether the new AS3X board will accept channel mixes?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
On the topic of flight-trimming aerobatic planes - here's an in-depth, step-by-step flight trimming & flight-behavior troubleshooting guide - courtesy of NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics). Following the proper order eliminates most of the tail-chasing that often ensues when the tests & adjustments are not performed in the proper sequence:

http://nsrca.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:t rimchart&catid=114:flying&Itemid=187

Joel
Thanks for the link, Joel - I was just searching for that PDF the other day!
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Turboparker.

Anyone know whether the new AS3X board will accept channel mixes?
SE,

Regarding the Beast 3D/Gee Bee As3X brick - you can set up whatever mixes, rates, and expo that your tx allows. The AS3X doesn't fly the plane. It is an integrated 3-axis damping system - nothing more. The HT's brick incorporates specific elevon & rudderon mixes so that it can be flown with a simple 4-chan tx.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:46 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Morning,

I'll look into it. Sounds like an interesting problem. I thought it was inherent in the airframe, and I just thumb corrected it. After some thought, there is always the likelihood that it was modelled incorrectly.
SE, thanks for your reply.

The Beast airframe can be balanced perfectly so that there is absolutely zero pitch coupling and/or roll coupling in KE flight in the real world. My 2nd Beast is so good with KE flight that it feels like its on rails when in KE. Just rudder and throttle needed to stay in a completely straight line. With calm conditions, I can fly KE figure 8s with just elevator and rudder (albeit not good, but this is due to my skill level and not the air frame - but I can do them.)

The airframe on RF seems to always pull to upwards in KE (towards the canopy) like it is out of balance.

Also the rolls are much faster in RF than in the real world (when aileron push rods are in the factory holes at least.)

Furthmore, in the sim (RealFlight,) the air frame seems much more pitch sensitive than in the real world. This makes it extremely tough to center out your straight lines after a cuban 8 or a maneuver. But if you can perfect it in RF you'll master it in the real world.

One more minor issue is that the airframe doesn't "float" or slow down as quick as it would in real life. It seems to have less drag in RF than it does in the real world. Therefore this tends to make it tougher to fly in RF. This tendency coupled with the over sensitive pitch control also makes it much more squirrel-y in low speed maneuvers making the RF model hard to fly.

I'd say the air frame in RF is about 20-40% more difficult to fly than in the real world because of these differences as can be backed up by WSEN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN
I can fly the real wee beastie fairly well. The RF 5.5 one hardly at all. If I had spent any time with the RF version I would have never bought the model. Maybe it is specific to my setup, usually the sim versions seem to typify the models pretty well.
However, differences aside, I am extremely impressed with how comparable it is.

In the end, if you can fly the UMX Beast in RF, you'll be much better with it in the real world. RF has allowed me to bring my expo values down much more in the real world. I'm down to the lower percentages now (except for ailerons - that stays in the 50% range for expo)
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:47 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
So i noticed in the video it said flyable with a dx4e?

Does that mean you can fly this with zero expo?
Only dsm2 i have is a dx5e w/no expo - so this is a critical point for me.

Imagine this in a umx 3D monoplane like an Edge ?

Wonder why they didnt do the sbach first - price point?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:06 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post

I think I read somewhere that the recommended setup with be with zero expo.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:54 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post

I've read somewhere that you can put expo on dx5 but I'm not 100% sure how. I remember it said pushing aile trim to the right (I think-one way to put on the other to take off again) whilst switching on in bind mode.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Here's where it has been confirmed for what seem to be the DX4e and DX5e:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=150
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:12 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
There is a reason why Horizon's recommended transmitter is a DX6i or better. It's a matter of resolution and frame-rate. Just ask anyone who has flown a UM plane or heli with one of the toy-grade or just above toy-grade transmitters, and then switched to a DX6i or better. There is a night & day difference in precision & control.

Remember - an RC aircraft will only fly as well as its transmitter allows.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
Now Where Did That Plane Go?
Columbus, GA. Area
Joined Sep 2007
426 Posts
Good point.
Crash One is offline Find More Posts by Crash One
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:38 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Remember - an RC aircraft will only fly as well as its transmitter allows.

Joel

...and it's pilot.

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:42 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
...and it's pilot.

Good point.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7