HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:42 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Been busy with this radian build,strengthening and adjusting the different things i could think of and reading the mods done here,i added carbon to the rudder and the back of the fuse,feels solid now,re-glued the motor mount,did not like that white glue they use,removed the esc holder and ground that area a bit and put the esc under the holder for more room for fpv gear,added some carbon to the front of the fuse in the cockpit area on both sides,and some reinforcement of the foam the motor mount goes to,made some custom servo extensions for the wing,to help slide it on and off easier when connecting and disconnecting,added hitec 65mg[had extras laying]to the elevator and 65 hs for the rudder,added a piece of thin ply to reinforce the elevator where it connect to the horn,I will get some pics up when i am done,but just been busy on the fuse and picking at the wing.installed all the servos for ailerons and flaps,just used the stock 4 servos,i just have 2 questions concerning the wing,
Is there any major reinforcing needed to be done on this,do i need to add carbon or is the fiberglass spars ok
i was thinking of getting some good 3m clear t ape and doing the leading edge and underneath a bit to keep it from getting beat up in tall brush on landing and also doing this to the bottom of fuse it should also add strength,any thoughts,i am also going to add some home made servo covers,i melted one with the heat gun and it fits perfect
last is there anywhere i can get the wing screws,i ordered all the parts for this from horizon and did not get the screws for it, they were not with the fuse or the wing and are not listed on there parts site,so i have no idea where to get these,i am sure i can find something but i would like to have the tapered ones they use,any inputs on any other mod are welcome,

thanks Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, CO, Craig
Joined Apr 2010
16 Posts
My Radian Pro is dead and gone and I will not miss it. Going back to my Radian V1 where I should have stayed.
cubbuddy is offline Find More Posts by cubbuddy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
Is there any major reinforcing needed to be done on this,do i need to add carbon or is the fiberglass spars ok
i was thinking of getting some good 3m clear t ape and doing the leading edge and underneath a bit to keep it from getting beat up in tall brush on landing and also doing this to the bottom of fuse it should also add strength,any thoughts,i am also going to add some home made servo covers,i melted one with the heat gun and it fits perfect
last is there anywhere i can get the wing screws,i ordered all the parts for this from horizon and did not get the screws for it, they were not with the fuse or the wing and are not listed on there parts site,so i have no idea where to get these,i am sure i can find something but i would like to have the tapered ones they use
I added the tape to the wings, as was recommended by the Paul Naton video. I have not had my RP up in the air since I made the mod, but I'm sure there will be no regrets.

I'd like to replace the fiberglass wing spar with a CF rod, but I'm having problems finding something local that will be as snug a fit as the stock spar.

It's easier to search forums using Google than to use the built-in search tool.
Google Search: site:rcgroups.com/forums "radian pro" "wing screws"
leads you to this page: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...40015&page=145

I've been trying to craft some servo covers. You seem to have found a way - could you provide specifics and maybe some pics of your method?

I don't know if you have run across this page, but it's a condensed listing of mods and suggestions for the Radian Pro: http://www.radian-pro.com/
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:00 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Hey Quasi

Thanks for the reply.I guess that is where i saw the wing being reinforced with tape [Paul Naton video],i remember seeing it somewhere but could not find it. i just did a search with his name and that was it,so i guess i will add some tape to the fuse and LE and bottom of wing

--------I'd like to replace the fiberglass wing spar with a CF rod, but I'm having problems finding something local that will be as snug a fit as the stock spar.-------

I am going back an forth on this and would like to add some carbon rods but i think i will fly it first with the tape on it and see how it feels than i can always add some carbon

-------I've been trying to craft some servo covers. You seem to have found a way - could you provide specifics and maybe some pics of your method?

I found this method on this thread way back,just take some plastic and use a heat gun on it i made some molds from balsa,Here is the method i used it from this thread a ways back its post #1188
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post16825560 very simple and cost nothing,i used and old piece of clear plastic that my carbon z tail was wrapped in from shipping,worked great,just gotta make the rest of them

Thanks for the link on the screws thats what i was looking for didn't know if they were standard or metric,that explains it,i might have some dubro that will fit

and thanks also for the condensed mod list,save me a ton of time seaching the groups for the mods

Ron
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, CO, Craig
Joined Apr 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Similar story here. The good news, depending on how catostrphic the death was, your next Radian can be assembled from parts. All I needed was a new fuselage and wing set for less than $100. Everything else to finish it came from the old RP; motor, ESC, Canopy, horizontal stabilizer, LiPo, servos, spinner/hub/prop, wing spar, receiver. Especially the servos as those in the wings are good enough for 2 moore Radians and I now exclusively use the digital MG PKZ servos from dead Radian Pros and a Stryker F27Q for all my Radians.

If the cowlling is not cracked you can keep it too as sooner or later you may damage that on the Raian and you will have an instant spare.
Thanks for the tip - I will save all the good parts and build another Radian V1 for my hanger. The only things I lost were the spinner and the fuse (broke into 3 parts) all other parts etc. still work.
cubbuddy is offline Find More Posts by cubbuddy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:08 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Hey Quasi

Thanks again for the tips.i been reading the mod link you sent me and there is a wealth of info on there ,i found a lot of nice mods to do, i thought i was getting close to being done but after reading that i will not have it done til winter LOL.

Thanks Ron
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Oct 2009
25 Posts
Tried my radian with mods in wind yesterday gusting to over 20 knots like being in a wind tunnel cg at 3.5 inches ,plane was very controllable in extreme conditions picked up slope lift ,next i will try prop upgrades.
aussiepete is offline Find More Posts by aussiepete
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbuddy View Post
My Radian Pro is dead and gone and I will not miss it. Going back to my Radian V1 where I should have stayed.
Did you not like the RP, did you have problems with it or are you just ready to move on? Just asking.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
993 Posts
Aussiepete,
what were your mods?
eroeder is online now Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:21 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Quick question,what are you guys setting the esc to,i have read many post and still not sure which to use,some say they have tried soft and medium and it still windmills,others use the hard and it cuts it completely,i am using the 30amp pro and i have the eflite usb program cable so its very easy change,could not take going threw all those beeps on the tx,i have it set to hard now just dont know if its to much stress on the mount,i reinforced the mount and re glued it so i am not worrying about it going anywhere

Thanks Ron
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:49 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I spent the last two afternoons setting up the lights on the old set of wings. The Turnigy receiver controlled switch works fine on the crow switch. I just tuned the crow down to zero for night flying.

Haven't flown it with the lights yet, just testing for now, and I still have to put the fairings back on. Maybe sometime during the week I can give a flight test report.

Here's a few hanger shots.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Cobalt View Post
Did you not like the RP, did you have problems with it or are you just ready to move on? Just asking.

Flux, I was wondering that same thing when I read that post. I am loving my Radian Pro now that I have gotten over the fear of flying it , rebuilt it with a new fuselage and just flew it this weekend both days in 10 mph gusting wind which I would have never dreamed of doing. Besides it seems to make me a better pilot with my other full size planes a Parkzone P47 Thunderbolt, and a DW flat Foamy Yak 54.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
Quick question,what are you guys setting the esc to,i have read many post and still not sure which to use,some say they have tried soft and medium and it still windmills,others use the hard and it cuts it completely,i am using the 30amp pro and i have the eflite usb program cable so its very easy change,could not take going threw all those beeps on the tx,i have it set to hard now just dont know if its to much stress on the mount,i reinforced the mount and re glued it so i am not worrying about it going anywhere

Thanks Ron

How did you re-inforce the Motor Mount if I may ask , Mine is cracked and I have tried gluing it twice and there is still a vibration on acceleration at certain spots.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:02 AM
KAE
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Jan 2010
219 Posts
The good news is my RP should arrive at my LHS tomorrow!
The bad news is I can't find the bind plug for my DX6i. I remember putting it in a "safe place" - somewhere. I'm still looking for it...
Does the BNF version come with a bind plug or will I need get one when I pick the Radian up at my LHS?
KAE is offline Find More Posts by KAE