Old Jan 01, 2016, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by Kevinfred
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
397 Posts
Question
Is there a way to "Glass" over a foam nose?

I just bought that L 39 from fly zone and the black nose one already has paint missing and she hasn't even flown! After I touch it up, is there a way to coat/dip the nose with something to super strengthen it? Maybe even like multiple coats?
The front end of this plane isn't going to last five flights unless I do something...

Thank you!
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2016, 12:32 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
7,459 Posts
Well, it is foam so don't have any great expectations. There are several things to do; one is to paint it what ever color you want and then use WBPU to coat that area with. WBPU is water based polyurathane and you can get it at Lowes, etc. Choices are usually Satin and Gloss. Past that point I would not bother with it really.

You can use silkspan or other tissue to carfully cover the nose with and then paint that with WBPU.

Some folks use Krylon(?) paint, but it can be a bit heavy. To protect the bottom you can use WBPU or clear packing tape. Remember that anything you add such as paint or tape changes the weight and balance of the plane.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2016, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by Everything RC
FPV Flyer and Racer
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Dec 2015
196 Posts
Do not use anything like spray paint. The ingredients cause the paint to dissolve foam!
Everything RC is offline Find More Posts by Everything RC
Last edited by Everything RC; Jan 01, 2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2016, 12:38 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everything RC View Post
Do not use anything like spray paint. The ingredients inside cause the paint to dissolve foam!
Not all paints do that. Some brands are worse than others and some foams are more susceptible to the propellants than other foams.

Model Masters, Boyds, Testers and Tamaiya are generally safe to use. Do not use any paint that is labeled as being for Lexan or similar; such as RC car and truck bodies are made from. The Pactra lexan paints will for sure eat foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2016, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by Everything RC
FPV Flyer and Racer
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Dec 2015
196 Posts
The regular hardware store paint like Rustoleum will dissolve foam.
Everything RC is offline Find More Posts by Everything RC
Old Jan 01, 2016, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by GregO1
Joined Dec 2015
32 Posts
I understand that you can use very light fiberglass and the 2 part epoxy to coat the nose and than sand/paint. You can also laminate the nose or entire plane. Go to aloft hobbies here:

https://alofthobbies.com/accessories...lrnr4vtc5c6o47

I just picked up the 3 and 5 mil laminate. A heat iron is used to apply. Check this video:

How to Skin a Foam Wing with Laminating Film (13 min 47 sec)

Search youtube for instructions to use fiberglass and paint for your model. -GregO
GregO1 is offline Find More Posts by GregO1
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Kevinfred
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
397 Posts
Wow thanks guys... Great ideas I'm getting to work!!
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:55 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,459 Posts
Regarding the video laminate above. Using laminate is a great idea and works very well, however one has to be careful with heat temperature. It appeared to me in the video that his iron was hot enough to cause the foam cells to 'popcorn'; which detracts from the look.

You can use low temp Econokote from Tower Hobbies or I think the UltrCote from Horizon is also low temp. Of course you would also need to invest in a iron.

You can also try Solarfilm from Mountain Models. Here is a tutorial on applying Solarfilm. They all work about the same though.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711624

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=588

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ARCH=econokote
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2016, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
4,708 Posts
The Laminate is one of the best solutions for sure. I use the same stuff they cover the Widowmaker Wings with. Unfortunately you have to buy rather large rolls for around $50 but it will last for years. Failing that just split the laminate pouches for smaller repairs as shown in Greg01 video above.

I have a Temp Controlled Iron and set it at no more than 112 degrees Celcius.
This creates excellent adhesion and shrinkage yet does not bubble the foam at all.

Also, any repairs or cracks in the plane can have the laminate ironed over them and this provides a smooth repair that can be painted.

Yes, the laminate can be painted.

I use hot glue for repairs to EPO so by putting the laminate over repairs and ironing it on, the hot glue is smoothed at the same time resulting in a nice repair.

Yes, you can glass over a foam nose but not recommended in most cases as repair (if necessary) becomes more complicated.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jan 03, 2016 at 02:34 PM.