Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Hermani
Quad and foam adept
The Netherlands, OV, Delden
Joined Apr 2014
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
I'm not sure how all the paranoia began with CCW threads. Before. . oh . . maybe mid 2013, they were more or less unheard of.
Guess DJI started it when they released the first DJI Phantom. After I crashed mine I started building and after buying a couple of motors all with standard threads I found out for myself it doesn't make any difference. Sure, you can't use those fancy self-tightening props but - do you WANT to? I have seen those unscrew themselves after stopping the motors after landing

Nowadays I buy simple and plain props and screw them on using simple and plain nuts or prop adapters and just check every once in a while whether it is still securely fastened.
Hermani is offline Find More Posts by Hermani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cellulose One tricopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by kenjancef
United States, RI, East Providence
Joined Nov 2015
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermani View Post
Guess DJI started it when they released the first DJI Phantom. After I crashed mine I started building and after buying a couple of motors all with standard threads I found out for myself it doesn't make any difference. Sure, you can't use those fancy self-tightening props but - do you WANT to? I have seen those unscrew themselves after stopping the motors after landing

Nowadays I buy simple and plain props and screw them on using simple and plain nuts or prop adapters and just check every once in a while whether it is still securely fastened.
I have a Phantom 2, and I do have to say that I don't worry about the props falling off due to the threads and all that.

But I'm new to building, so the reverse threads are what I'm used to. The first time I got the props spinning on my scratch built, a nut flew across the room because it got loose. Since then I got lock nuts, but, and this is just me, I feel safer knowing that my props won't fall off.

I have plain old props on my build (HQ 11x4.5's), and I now secure them pretty tight. I also have the bullet nuts, and I slide an Allen wrench in the holes to tighten them.

I am still nervous when I fly my build, so I'm not going to get too crazy or go too high all at once, just because I have a Phantom. So that will give me time to see how the props are. And I'll keep the socket wrench handy as well to just check them periodically.
kenjancef is online now Find More Posts by kenjancef
Old Feb 11, 2016, 07:43 PM
Joined Nov 2015
549 Posts
Made some changes to my Crossfire build this week. Change the legs to move them off the arms, makes it look a little funkier. I also HAD an ImmersionRC 600 for FPV, but wrecked the antenna connection, so I bought a RMRC Cricket 600mW Tx, works well so far. The FPV video was in black & white, which it was after I wrecked the Immersion, so I ordered a new camera. The Cricket is pretty solid, and very small.

I took it out for a test flight last week, and just as I was landing, it flipped. I thought I had a bad motor, so I ordered a new one. Motor sputtered like crazy, so I ordered a new ESC, WITHOUT checking solder connections. Come to find out 2 of the connectors on the motor side of the ESC went bad, so I resoldered and it works good now. Going to keep the new ESC as a spare.

Will hopefully be able to fly it next week, supposed to be in the teens or lower until Tuesday...

Link to the crash video, not too dramatic...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,900 Posts
Those are some healthy motors you have there. 800kv?

You could do 4S and 1045's I would guess.
Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Last edited by Cyberdactyl; Feb 11, 2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2015
549 Posts
Quote:
Those are some healthy motors you have there. What kv are they?
SunnySky 2216-12 800kV. They sound WAY different than the motors I'm used to on my Phantom... lol... They make the quad shake a little when they power up.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,900 Posts
Ahh yes, I found your list a few pages back.
Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2015
549 Posts
Quote:
Ahh yes, I found your list a few pages back.
No worries... having so much fun learning about how all this stuff works. And also reading this forum seeing all of the other builds. I think I'm finally at the end of the build, just tweaking some things, maybe trying to get my GoPro lower to get the props out of the video... but electronics-wise I think I'm all set...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by Jasper Q
event horizon
United States, FL, Lighthouse Point
Joined Oct 2014
981 Posts
After talking with frame designer he has added some upgrades to the design. The first frame was printed for 6 mm motors and all I had was 8.5's which is what it really needs anyway. I opened up the motor mount holes to 8.5 mm which removed the built in LG. The foam blocks work OK but the EPP takes a set pretty easy and they start falling out. The new design has better cooling and 360 protection at the bottom to protect those delicate motor leads.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1328626
Jasper Q is offline Find More Posts by Jasper Q
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by newtoon
Joined Nov 2013
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post
Very funny. I was thinking of making a dragonquad as well.

I found your video some posts ago. Very cool, the opening mouth. Make it blow some powder and it would be perfect !

Btw, this is my Evinrude.

http://i.imgur.com/sfoObOM.jpg

Evinrude (0 min 4 sec)
newtoon is offline Find More Posts by newtoon
Last edited by newtoon; Feb 12, 2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by johnnycat500
Riverside, Ca
Joined Oct 2006
509 Posts
Here is my FAA exempt 200mm plywood frame. [ 30g ] It needs minor tuning and then it's maiden. Did fly it out in the yard to test video from Runcam HD. No jello! I will post a flight video this weekend. Battery is 1000mah 2s
johnnycat500 is offline Find More Posts by johnnycat500
Old Feb 19, 2016, 04:44 AM
Find More Posts by Kiev FPV
FPV.kiev.ua
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Nov 2014
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500 View Post
Here is my FAA exempt 200mm plywood frame. [ 30g ] It needs minor tuning and then it's maiden. Did fly it out in the yard to test video from Runcam HD. No jello! I will post a flight video this weekend. Battery is 1000mah 2s
Great weight! But first minor crash will be the last for this frame
Kiev FPV is offline Find More Posts by Kiev FPV
Old Feb 19, 2016, 05:45 AM
Riverside, Ca
Joined Oct 2006
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiev FPV View Post
Great weight! But first minor crash will be the last for this frame
True that, the frame has to be light to stay under 250g. I made a G10 version that is 36g, which will also be under 250g. Not hard to make a 100g frame to stand up to a crash, but then it would not be under 250g.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Loganj13
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Dec 2014
1,159 Posts
Quote:
True that, the frame has to be light to stay under 250g. I made a G10 version that is 36g, which will also be under 250g. Not hard to make a 100g frame to stand up to a crash, but then it would not be under 250g.
If the frame only weighs 36g in G10, then a carbon version will be wicked light
Loganj13 is offline Find More Posts by Loganj13
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:17 AM
Riverside, Ca
Joined Oct 2006
509 Posts
Yes I have some CF coming.Just experimenting with different materials to see how lightweight I can make a frame. The whole project is based on under 249 grams so it doesn't have to be registered. You can't have it both ways the frame under 250 is not going to hold up in a crash. This frame is not designed to be a racer,Just a nice little FPV rig.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by Kiev FPV
FPV.kiev.ua
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Nov 2014
95 Posts
Quote:
This frame is not designed to be a racer,Just a nice little FPV rig.
Actually very nice for this type of using!
Kiev FPV is offline Find More Posts by Kiev FPV