SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Hermani, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by Hermani
Quad and foam adept
The Netherlands, OV, Delden
Joined Apr 2014
184 Posts
Video
HobbyKing DART 400 quadcopter first impressions

Setup

Frame HobbyKing DART 400
FC APM 2.5
ESC Hobbywing Skywalker 40A
Motor Sunnysky 2212 980Kv
Prop Graupner 8x5 e-prop
Camera SJ4000 action cam
BEC Separate Hobbywing 5V BEC

Weight issues

About the weight of the quad: I feel with the cased FC, the GPS, the large ESC's, the video tx and telemetry, the SJ4000 and all the cables that come with it, the quad is heavier than needed. I bought 2 frames and want to build a second, lighter one without the telemetry and GPS, with a mobius cam instead of the SJ4000, use Afro Slim 20A ESC's and use a CC3D controller without casing instead of the APM 2.5. Also I will get rid of the motor connectors and solder everything together. Every gram counts...

If you have any more tips for the second build, please reply..

HobbyKing DART 400 quadcopter - first impressions (1 min 44 sec)
Hermani is online now Find More Posts by Hermani
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by Fishinstix
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Thanks for the information. Video looks pretty jello free. I've ordered this frame also. Using same motors as you. You didn't specify but are you using 3s or 4s? I'm going to go 4s since props are only 8" max and I figured the extra oomph would help some.
Fishinstix is online now Find More Posts by Fishinstix
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:45 AM
Quad and foam adept
Joined Apr 2014
184 Posts
I am using 3S at the moment. I use 2200 mAh lipoŽs now but there is enough room for a bigger battery.

The footage above is shot with Graupner props, I now put on new balanced props. IŽll report later how that works out.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
I'm going to go with the Luminier 3300 4s and a voltage regulator out of the gate
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:24 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Is that LED headlight a structural part of the frame. Was wondering what to do with it since I'm going 4s
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:14 PM
Quad and foam adept
Joined Apr 2014
184 Posts
Yes it is part of the frame if you choose to solder it on. You can just leave it out without a problem, it does not support any other structures. I am not sure whether the LEDs can handle 4S voltage..
Old Nov 06, 2014, 07:18 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
I can finally answer this now. Last night I got to a build point where I needed to plug in my 4s battery to calibrate my ESCs so I decided to leave the LEDs turned on while I was doing so. While it would be cool if the LEDs worked with 4s, I was not overly concerned if they burned out. Well what happened next was as follows:
Plugged battery in and LEDs glowed like little stars. Bright as the sun where you couldn't look directly at them. 1 minute later you could smell some electronics. 2 minutes later LEDs started blinking on and off like one blink per second as if on a timer. 2.5 minutes later LEDs shut off so I turned off the LED switch and finished my calibration. The next day I plugged in battery again and turned on LED switch. Half of the LEDs came on for 30 seconds then shut off again............It's a gonner, done, I'd say they're fried.
So, I'd say 4s is a LED fail without some kind of voltage regulation.
Old Nov 07, 2014, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by StonedLlama
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Apr 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinstix View Post
I can finally answer this now. Last night I got to a build point where I needed to plug in my 4s battery to calibrate my ESCs so I decided to leave the LEDs turned on while I was doing so. While it would be cool if the LEDs worked with 4s, I was not overly concerned if they burned out. Well what happened next was as follows:
Plugged battery in and LEDs glowed like little stars. Bright as the sun where you couldn't look directly at them. 1 minute later you could smell some electronics. 2 minutes later LEDs started blinking on and off like one blink per second as if on a timer. 2.5 minutes later LEDs shut off so I turned off the LED switch and finished my calibration. The next day I plugged in battery again and turned on LED switch. Half of the LEDs came on for 30 seconds then shut off again............It's a gonner, done, I'd say they're fried.
So, I'd say 4s is a LED fail without some kind of voltage regulation.
Thank you very much for that update! You saved me the trouble of damaging my setup when I get to building this weekend. :-D

I did some research, and decided to go with the 1N4001 Silicone Diode, or 2-3 of them to be exact. They were 5 cents a piece at my local electronics supplier. I'll have extras if anyone is in the same situation.

I also plan on running some additional leads down the PDB, so I can power another little strip of LED's on the rear of the frame, but also have it powered by the same switch on the front set! ;-)

Once I get the final voltage settled, I think 2 of these diodes should drop the voltage about 2-2.2 volts, so I will be safe to run them with a fully charged 16.8 4s on the bench without worries.

I'll let you all know if anything goes wrong, and try to post my build photos once completed. THANKS!
StonedLlama is offline Find More Posts by StonedLlama
Old Nov 07, 2014, 03:28 PM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedLlama View Post
Thank you very much for that update! You saved me the trouble of damaging my setup when I get to building this weekend. :-D

I did some research, and decided to go with the 1N4001 Silicone Diode, or 2-3 of them to be exact. They were 5 cents a piece at my local electronics supplier. I'll have extras if anyone is in the same situation.

I also plan on running some additional leads down the PDB, so I can power another little strip of LED's on the rear of the frame, but also have it powered by the same switch on the front set! ;-)

Once I get the final voltage settled, I think 2 of these diodes should drop the voltage about 2-2.2 volts, so I will be safe to run them with a fully charged 16.8 4s on the bench without worries.

I'll let you all know if anything goes wrong, and try to post my build photos once completed. THANKS!
Those diodes should drop .6 to .7v each I believe.
Old Nov 08, 2014, 01:39 PM
Quad and foam adept
Joined Apr 2014
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinstix View Post
I can finally answer this now. Last night I got to a build point where I needed to plug in my 4s battery to calibrate my ESCs so....

Sorry to read you fried the LED's. The LED's blinking would have suggested the voltage to be too high. I just finished my second DART 400 build after I had a crash when mine suddenly dropped out of the air. I suspect a FC malfunction.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
First test flight today

It went very well. Testing and tuning in process. First flight I got 14 minutes of hover. Not bad!

SETUP:
FC: Quadrino Zoom V1E with GPS module
Motors: Sunnysky x2212-13 980kv
Speed controllers: Turnigy Plush 18A
Battery: Luminear 3300mah 4s
RMRC Dual voltage BEC (5v and 12v)
Control Rcvr: 2.4 Ghz FrSky DR8-XP Running CPPM (dual diversity)
Control Antennas: Custom made 1/2 wave dipoles
FPV
600tvl flight cam
1.3 ghz 200mw RMRC TX
VAS Bluebeam antenna with low pass 1.3 filter
Skylark tiny OSD
Two LC Filters ( one for flt cam and one for video tx)
Mobius action cam for HD video recording

Here's som pics:
Old Nov 17, 2014, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
3,520 Posts
wow, thats a long hover! What was AUW?
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:08 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
wow, thats a long hover! What was AUW?
It sure is. Unfortunately I don't have a scale so I don't know the weight. But you can see all the stuff I have on it. It's the longest hover time of any quad I've built. I think the biggest contribution is the Luminere 35c 4s battery and the props I'm using. I'm not using the skinny E Props. While they may be smoother, in my experience with them they just don't have the thrust to get good flight times.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by Jeff3310
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Whats your total flight weight with the 3300mah 4s as mentioned? I'm using the 3s 3.3 it seems a bit heavy. Just started tuning it, so not far enough along to tweak.
Jeff3310 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff3310
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:18 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff3310 View Post
Whats your total flight weight with the 3300mah 4s as mentioned? I'm using the 3s 3.3 it seems a bit heavy. Just started tuning it, so not far enough along to tweak.
Like I stated above, I don't have a scale so I don't know the total weight. What I do know from experience is that this frame has the same exact motors/props/ESCs/FPV equipment as my old frame except for the battery. That quad used a 3s battery and got 8min flight time and hovered with throttle slightly above mid point. This one uses 4s and hovers at mid throttle for around 14 minutes. I don't believe the old frame was much heavier since it was carbon fiber.
See my setup specs above. I flew it FPV for the first time yesterday and it's a screamer for sure. I'm very pleased with this setup.