Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by warp45
warp
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp45 View Post
I have my B 1.1 set up with spoilerons using my Dx6i. You cannot use the stock Y connector to the servos. You must use individual connectors to the two wing servos (left wing to Aux 1 and right wing to Aile). Then use the Dualaileron setup in the TX. If you do a Google search on "Flaperons in Dx6i" you should find instructions on the entire setup. Spoilerons (air breaks) work great on the landing as it slows the Bix down and changes the angle of decent making it easier to land as the Bix likes to glide and not land without help.
I'm not familiar with the DX8 but I would guess that you may have to play around with the flap mix to get it ccorrected. I know it works on the Dx6i, so there must be a setup that will work on the DX8 too.
warp45 is offline Find More Posts by warp45
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,164 Posts
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
Just thought I better check out my RX connections and noticed that the RX is actually an AR500. What I took, in the dim light of my workshop, as the Aux1 socket is actually labelled AILE so I imagine it's more of an internal Y lead rather than a separate channel. No wonder I couldn't get the spoilerons to work!
Found this thread which will give me a work around using the spare gear ch and some mixing
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329196
Will have a go later to see if it works
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 29, 2015, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Out Standing In The Field
United States, CT, Middletown
Joined Feb 2014
343 Posts
^It's good to have an explanation after all that bafflement!

(I have a subconscious suggestion - Lemon stabilized 7 channel receiver - I just put one in my Tidewater seaplane and it eliminated the annoying wing rock and the plane flies "bigger". The next one I buy is going into the SkySurfer.)
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,164 Posts
Got two of the Lemon's in stock but saving them for something bigger/more expensive.
Got the spoilerons to work but needed to add a third mix and play around with the + and - values to get it all working.
Now time to see if I can get snap ailerons to work. Like snap flaps but you program (or try to!)both ailerons to move in the opposite direction to the elevator. Not recommended for ordinary flying but, if you want tighter turns and loops when slope soaring, it works a treat. The downward moving ailerons cause the model to pitch up and the elevator sends it over the top. My Phoenix 2000 slope glider now loops as tight as a powered model and I reckon it would do a square loop with some practice
Andy
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by farrari
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRotter View Post
How reliable are the stock servos in the Bix2? Seems like some people have been flying stock for a while with few problems. I have a few good servos that I can replace them with, and I know- better safe than sorry... but if stock is ok I'd rather just keep them in for now. Haven't maiden'd her yet and I'm anxious to get up in the air. I'll be performing some surgery when I add an autopilot, so then would be a good time to also replace servos. But that won't be for a month or so...
I have B 1.1 and all my servos have been over around 2 yrs needed replacing.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
Joined Feb 2014
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Got two of the Lemon's in stock but saving them for something bigger/more expensive.
Got the spoilerons to work but needed to add a third mix and play around with the + and - values to get it all working.
Now time to see if I can get snap ailerons to work. Like snap flaps but you program (or try to!)both ailerons to move in the opposite direction to the elevator. Not recommended for ordinary flying but, if you want tighter turns and loops when slope soaring, it works a treat. The downward moving ailerons cause the model to pitch up and the elevator sends it over the top. My Phoenix 2000 slope glider now loops as tight as a powered model and I reckon it would do a square loop with some practice
Andy
I'll admit to ignorance about the snap flaps & ailerons, but you explained it well, and I see how it would work really well (maybe too well?). I have been interested in slope soaring, but until recently I haven't found anyplace nearby (or anyone who does it). Today, I did some"slope" of a kind with (of all things) my Delta Ray (!). It was a lot of fun, and I imagine better with a real slope plane (but the motors were REAL nice to have!).

Here you had the stabilized receivers in hand and didn't use just one? (I was trying to get you to be the guinea pig & let me know how it worked out).
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by Westwood
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
249 Posts
RC Airplane flying at Roberts Creek, Sunshine coast, BC / Hobbyking Bixler /gopro hero3 (3 min 54 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by Sculptor
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,260 Posts
I have almost no appreciation for the products produced by flying a camera on an RC plane, why? The people doing it and the subjects they select or more representative of their interests in flying FPV then whatever they are recording. "Oh look it's a cornfield, and a barn and another cornfield wait till the kids see this"

One of my friends at the club flies a sky surfer version 1 with a camera set up. And he watches it on a dark hooded screen as is flies out of sight, how cool is that. Not very!

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2014
343 Posts
I thought that it was well shot (from different points of view), well edited, with a nice Corgi (I like Corgis) and with a neat catch at the end (I wondered how it would land on the beach). If it was taken on vacation, it would make a great memento of the trip, the day and the people.
Old Today, 02:08 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
I'll admit to ignorance about the snap flaps & ailerons, but you explained it well, and I see how it would work really well (maybe too well?). I have been interested in slope soaring, but until recently I haven't found anyplace nearby (or anyone who does it). Today, I did some"slope" of a kind with (of all things) my Delta Ray (!). It was a lot of fun, and I imagine better with a real slope plane (but the motors were REAL nice to have!).

Here you had the stabilized receivers in hand and didn't use just one? (I was trying to get you to be the guinea pig & let me know how it worked out).
I have one in a Vmar Fournier motor glider and it works really well.
Re finding slope sites or buddies why don't you do a search for nearby RC Group members. At the bottom of each page you will see "Tools","Members Search". Select a reasonable distance from you and hit enter. Go down the list starting with the most active posters and review each in turn. Once you have id'd members who have an interest in slope flying send them a pm to explain the help you need.
More than 70% of my slope models were Ebay purchases so it needn't be expensive. Check out my YT channel for vids of them in action where you will even see a stock Durafly Vampire sloping
https://www.youtube.com/user/heady2008/videos
Durafly DH Vampire. PSS maiden flight (3 min 45 sec)

Andy
Old Today, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2014
343 Posts
^That's great fun on a windy day! I saw your Daemon video with the snap ailerons and it really does look very responsive for such a big WS plane.
You certainly do get some high winds there!
All those landings looked fine to me!