HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:05 AM
bluebird
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
Build Log
Hms Daring - Destroyer 1930 - 1:72 Scale

Hi there

For those who are interested, this is my latest on-going and long-going scratch build HMS Daring. She is at 1:72 scale from Norman Ough's plans. The hull, plank on frame, covered with fibreglass and tissue - there is, on top of this, assimilated plating from printers card, which hopefully has been sealed. The superstructure is built up from 1:64 ply and most of the guns and fittings are made from Plasticard, copper wire, old pieces of biro pen - even small beads have been used.

See what you all think lads.

Aye
John
Bluebird
J-Elsy is offline Find More Posts by J-Elsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:14 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
that john is very smart looking like its alreay about to slide down the slipway for sea trials.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
bluebird
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
Hi there Ghost, the hull is Obechi Planks over quarter ply frames, then covered with fibre glass resin and tissue.

aye
john
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:56 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
i take it you have used halfords primer for the grey?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,858 Posts
Hello John, welcome to RC Groups!

Your ship is amazing, Fantastic detail, and all scratch built. I am envious of you talented builders!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:22 AM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
624 Posts
Great looking build John...Please post more when you can..

Mike
Mike McCrea is online now Find More Posts by Mike McCrea
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,127 Posts
Good looking ship and very well detailed.
What is the set up for running gear?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:08 PM
bluebird
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
Hi thanks for the Kind Welcome, its makes ya feel wanted.

I will post more pictures soon of my progressing of the build.

She has twin 540 low drain motors in her, twin ACTion Condor speed controllers, and one ACTion mixer, mixing speed controllers and rudder function.

Hopefully, some time in the future, will be purchasing the scale props - at present - just two brass props 30 ml diameter/3 blade on her.

These props just happened to be 'lying in the spares drawer'. They look about the right size, so they are on.

I was contemplating having several working features, rotating guns, torpedo tubes, working navigation lights and stuff, but, I am getting a bit concerned now with top weight.

I use Humbrol paints out the little pots - havent yet mastered the technique of spray painting yet, havent mastered the art of painting come to that.

aye
john
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:19 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
actually john, the painting doesn't look that bad at all.

you need not worry too much about the weight, My gemini has quite a bit of ballast up between waterline and the deck

Looking at the pic, what signigicance do the p/s markers have on the telemeter on the bridge?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:17 PM
bluebird
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
What do I know Ghosty - I only build the models - :-)

but, if you are referring to the Compass Binnacle, there are two soft iron spheres - one red and one green (one port/one starboard). These are correction magnets for correcting the magnet in the compass, when initially setting the compass up - aboard the ship.

aye
john
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:55 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
that was EXACTLY what i was reffering to. they even appear on the casting on Gemini's binnacle as well. and you have answered my question, thanks john.

now i know after all this time!
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:17 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
My, that is one nice looking model! All you'll need is the Special Navy's new Type IIB so you can have a rematch with U23. Based on your build, I would think HMS Daring who would could out ahead in this encounter!
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:39 AM
Joined Apr 2005
24 Posts
Looking good

Yes, John is a great builder of model boats and a great source of information on the subject. I've seen a couple of his boats, both of which are museum quality.

Martin - Model Boat Mayhem
ModelBoatMayhem is offline Find More Posts by ModelBoatMayhem
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:21 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,652 Posts
Beautiful job John. I'd like to ask what the two rounded platforms are for on the bow and stern? Also would you have a picture of how you access the innards? Pete
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
bluebird
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
Hi there Pete

Hope these pictures explain what you want.

As far as the anti-flash shields are concerned, I have heard several explanations for these and the one that seems logic to me is to protect the gun crews on the main deck, when firing the upper guns. If you can imagine, there must be a lot of shrapnel, bits and pieces that come flying out of the end of the gun barrel when the upper gun has been fired. I wouldnt have liked to have been a gun crew on the lower gun being hit by the flash of the gun. You would get a quick sun tan I would imagine, hey, it would be okay for drying your clothes out.

A lot of these early type destroyers had open guns 4.7 callibre. The gun crew worked out in the open.

As far as the access to the model goes, first of all the main bridge superstructure lifts off, then the lower deck, which houses the funnels (smoke stacks) lifts off and then if I need to get to the stearing servo, the aft deck house lifts off.,

The motors are a low drain 540 - power supply will be 2 x lead acid 6 volt 4amp per hour batteries which should give the boat endurance on the water of about an hour - an hour and a half's continuous sailing.

Hope this is of some help.

John