HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:47 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
New Product
BP-8 as a open source project

Hi folks,
some of you may know me already. I am the designer of the BP-12. This little stinker has been sold in Germany and Austria. Due to the fact that China can do everything cheaper, amortizing of tools is almost impossible and I have decided to do another aproach. An open source project.

Venom is dead and the ZH is currently the only 8 scale race bike. Pretty lonely on the market....

So here is a alternative bike. The BP8. It was winner in Rosenheim and on third in Sollenau. Sure with one of the best Pilots (Gartenzerg) ;-)

The open source project will provide the possibility to get to a chassis as shown above. I will open the DXF files for the frame so that everybody can download an order from the local CFK milling service.
The shapeways parts could be ordered at my account. I would add a little margin on the parts to get my hours payed. Think thats fair.
Having the chassis complete, you would have to add parts like Fork, Gears, Wheels etc from your local store or out of the "spare part box".

The chassis is designed for a 50mm 10 scale shock. It can carry a Venom Body. Some Prototypes are riding on ZH Forks, others on Venom Forks. Your call. The Fork shaft can either be a 4mm or a 3mm one. The same for the drive shaft. 3mm 4mm or 5mm. The swing arm can handle motors up to 24mm.

This post is to get some feedback. So before I will attach the links and files, let me hear what you think.

BRs
Peter
Bastelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:12 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
As I already said - brilliant idea!
- Getting parts milled is not that difficult.
- The plastic parts can be bought from Shapeways, anywhere in the world.
- the rest of the parts is just some axles, screws, and running gear from common 1/8 scale bikes.

4 of them are running at the Onroad-Cup in Austria, all of them using Forks and Wheels from the Zh Z203 Bike, which are perfect in quality.
Some are running Belt drive, some use shortenend GPV-1 chains.
Venom Parts can be used as well, but I don't think it will be as strong (especially the forks).

Main difference to other 8th Scale Bikes:
- Lots of lean angle
- Weight is very low, which means it flicks very fast from left to right.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:01 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastelpeter View Post
Hi folks,
some of you may know me already. I am the designer of the BP-12. This little stinker has been sold in Germany and Austria. Due to the fact that China can do everything cheaper, amortizing of tools is almost impossible and I have decided to do another aproach. An open source project.

Venom is dead and the ZH is currently the only 8 scale race bike. Pretty lonely on the market....

So here is a alternative bike. The BP8. It was winner in Rosenheim and on third in Sollenau. Sure with one of the best Pilots (Gartenzerg) ;-)

The open source project will provide the possibility to get to a chassis as shown above. I will open the DXF files for the frame so that everybody can download an order from the local CFK milling service.
The shapeways parts could be ordered at my account. I would add a little margin on the parts to get my hours payed. Think thats fair.
Having the chassis complete, you would have to add parts like Fork, Gears, Wheels etc from your local store or out of the "spare part box".

The chassis is designed for a 50mm 10 scale shock. It can carry a Venom Body. Some Prototypes are riding on ZH Forks, others on Venom Forks. Your call. The Fork shaft can either be a 4mm or a 3mm one. The same for the drive shaft. 3mm 4mm or 5mm. The swing arm can handle motors up to 24mm.

This post is to get some feedback. So before I will attach the links and files, let me hear what you think.

BRs
Peter
im in lets just steer it more to the zh side of things (accpet venom body work) the zh body work lasts a lot longer but is ugy as you know venom parts are inferier to zh parts as your probably aware
choook is offline Find More Posts by choook
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:50 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
no problem. The design can handle both, ZH as well as Venom parts.
@Bernhard: Maybe you can post a few pictures of your bike to show how it looks being completed.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:16 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,395 Posts
A price on how much the various parts you are offering up would be great.

I could get interested in 1/8 bikes again with this design. I've not used my Venom for years now.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:28 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
As of today I can give you only an indication. I would offer the shapeways parts as a set for around 80€. Because the parts are all in one dataset, Shapeways is a little cheaper there. If I would spread them into single datasets it would be more expensive. But for sure, the single parts will be available as well. For just in case

Plate DXF files are for free and will be attached here. The rest is individual to you.

BRs,
Peter
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:06 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,432 Posts
Subscibity
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:04 PM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Quick update:
I prepared the parts at Shapeways. This is the link to my little shop:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Bastelpeters

Shapeways shows 76€ for the set of parts.

Everything with the BP8_OS in it is around the projekt. Plate files and the missing Shapeways spare parts will be upped in the next few days.
Fianlly two pictures form the CAD:

Last edited by Bastelpeter; Jun 18, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:38 PM
Editor, RCCA
Chatsworth, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
Awesome project, and we all appreciate the work you've put into this so far. And the best part is that anyone in the community can design different options.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,432 Posts
Maybe this will get me into 1/8 more!
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:25 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is keeping me running.
Here some further information. Except 2 or 3 positions, all screws are M2,5X6mm. The frame is designed for 19mm Batteries. It can handle a 2S 1900mAh Lipo as well as the famous Laptop cells. The steering servo has a Turnigy MG90S size. Actually I am using exactly this. You can not get more for the price. The ESC area can handle the a 18Amp ESC like the Turnigy, Hobbywing or the small GM.
The lenght of the shown Swing arm is designed for the ZH belt drive. Axle to axle is 69,5mm. If there is interest, I can also provide data for a venom chain dirve. But you would have to shorten the chain. Kind of clockmaker work, but possible.

The bike is made from 7 CFK plates. Swingarm, frame and the steering head are made from 1.5mm. The plate above the battery is 1.0mm.

The bearings of the steering head have an outer diameter of 8mm. Either you take 3x8 bearings for the Venom fork or 4x8 for the ZH. Bearing size of the drive shaft is 10mm. Any bearing with an outer diameter of 10 would fit, so also here Venom or ZH.
The bike is made from 7 CFK plates. Swingarm, frame and the steering head are made from 1.5mm. The plate above the battery is 1.0mm.

Attached a picture of the very very first prototype:

This was made from Glas composite. Build up quick and dirty. A little more flexible but still much more rigid than the original Venom. Performance was great from the beginning.

BRs
Peter
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:33 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Sweet lookin design... And a very good approach to getting your bike out there, and giving the tiny rc bike community another option... And a well affordable option...

My hat is off, and I'm lent forward in a bowing position... Exelent work...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:00 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
..as requested, here are some pics of the 2 BP8 Bikes I built.

Both are using Forks and Wheels from the ZH z203, and the ZH Chain Adapter in the rear, to be able to use ZH Wheels.

Drive Axle is taken from the GPV-1, but shortened.
Spur Gear is taken from the GPV-1, as is the chain drive.
As Peter already said, the chain was shortened. Using a nail and a small hammer, this is not that difficult to do.

There is enough room for the electronics, just for fun I even squeezed a GM Genius 90 in there - fits as well.
Altough the usual 1/18 Car and 1/8 Bike stuff fits easily.
I'm currently running the BL ESC from the Venom Motor/ESC Set, and a Hobbywing 7800kV Motor.

As we all know, most critical parts are the tires, and the inserts!!
At the front hard inserts are available, but at the rear you have to be creative.

What worked best so far is using a 1/5 Scale front "Massari" Insert, cut it to fit the rear wheel, and use a ZH Tire on it. Fits like a glove, and gives plenty of grip and a good ride.
Someone even managed to get a PMT200 mounted on the rear rim, but I couldn't figure out how to do this without massive cutting on a lathe..
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
..as requested, here are some pics of the 2 BP8 Bikes I built.

Both are using Forks and Wheels from the ZH z203, and the ZH Chain Adapter in the rear, to be able to use ZH Wheels.

Drive Axle is taken from the GPV-1, but shortened.
Spur Gear is taken from the GPV-1, as is the chain drive.
As Peter already said, the chain was shortened. Using a nail and a small hammer, this is not that difficult to do.

There is enough room for the electronics, just for fun I even squeezed a GM Genius 90 in there - fits as well.
Altough the usual 1/18 Car and 1/8 Bike stuff fits easily.
I'm currently running the BL ESC from the Venom Motor/ESC Set, and a Hobbywing 7800kV Motor.

As we all know, most critical parts are the tires, and the inserts!!
At the front hard inserts are available, but at the rear you have to be creative.

What worked best so far is using a 1/5 Scale front "Massari" Insert, cut it to fit the rear wheel, and use a ZH Tire on it. Fits like a glove, and gives plenty of grip and a good ride.
Someone even managed to get a PMT200 mounted on the rear rim, but I couldn't figure out how to do this without massive cutting on a lathe..
is there any way to shoe horn a front brake servo in there
choook is offline Find More Posts by choook
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:31 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
our folks are driving without front break, however, if you place the ESC above the damper, you could use the front area to squeeze one in.
Another posibillity. Once the DXF files are up, everybody could change for other options and show to the community. Thats the sense of open source
Last edited by Bastelpeter; Jun 19, 2013 at 02:06 AM.