HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:57 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
510 Posts
Question
HK's Nieuport bipe

Just bought a HK balsa Nieuport bipe kit, expecting some missing bits, as I read they're reject Gt. Planes kits 're-badged' and sold off cheap. Bit disappointed there were no instructions or drawings though! Also, I noticed two missing aeleron hinges straight away, and no pilot. Ah well, c'est la vie...it looks like a beautiful model though and I don't understand why they don't sell a cheaper alternative kits completely unbuilt for us scratch builders?

Anyway, I think I can figure out most of the build and I've downloaded the pdf manual from electrifly, so that should be a good starting point?

Wish me luck...
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:58 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
Good luck! Keep us posted...
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:46 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
22 ounces for a 28" span model? Seems a little excessive to me.

I do like the colour scheme though.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Aug 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
22 ounces for a 28" span model? Seems a little excessive to me...Pete
28" span? The HK/Gt. Planes is 35"...

Anyway, progress is slow as I have to verify every detail, and re-drill all the holes. The supplied screws are ridiculously long and too fat for the holes - and there's an awful lot of them. The motor mount worked out OK for my Turnigy motor, I thought I'd have to make a special one.

Just off to buy some piano wire because the supplied were too short..doh.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Sorry about that, read length for span. Should be nice at that size/weight.
Sounds as if it's a lot of bother for an ARTF though. Not cheap considering.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
..Sounds as if it's a lot of bother for an ARTF though. Not cheap considering..
At 50 it seemed quite a bit cheaper than the genuine article - even at it's discounted 96 price. The missing/wrong parts list seems to be growing though...?

I've loosely assembled it to see what might need rectifying/modifying, and it seems the U/C threaded axle rod is way too short! I shall have to improvise something out of the brass tubes I have. I think that's the last hurdle.

Hope so anyway...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Good luck! Keep us posted...
Well, she's now 'complete' and looking quite good - minus the missing pilot! It's been a slow job, definitely NOT the 6-8 Hour assembly job promised.

I had to glue in a bit of brass tubing to stretch-fit the U/C axle shaft and improvise elsewhere too, but it's now looking like a nice plane.

One last issue - the fitting of the battery. One is supposed to use velcro, but there is too little headroom to use velcro! I'm planning to use a Turnigy 3S 1300 mAh, which must be a bit smaller than the recommended 1500 lipo? So how on earth is one supposed to slide it horizontally in and out with velcro?

It'll take some ingenuity to devise a strap-based alternative solution..anyone else had this problem?