Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:21 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX9,DX10t,DX18/DX18QQ Sequencer Programming

I started this thread for sharing my experience and providing examples of this very powerful feature. It's also a place where DX18/DX18QQ owners can post there use of this feature, post SPM files of The Sequencer Feature in action, ask questions and of course get help for those that may need/want it.
Spektrum DX18/DX18QQ Sequencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum Website
Programming a complex sequence of control events is remarkably simple.
Program a sequence of switch-activated events with time delays between each event.
For instance, with a flip of the gear switch you could have an auxiliary channel open landing gear doors,
then have the retract channel lower the landing gear, followed by the auxiliary channel closing the gear doors after the gear is extended.
Spektrum DX18 Sequencer Tutorial (8 min 0 sec)

Not long ago I posted a YT video showing my use of the sequencer on one of my models but I accidentally removed it and will of course be uploading a series of them here very shortly. The Sequencer is a great feature that can be used in multiple ways. I will share with you some of the ways I am currently using it along with a way I will be using it on another model in the process of being built.
The First method is the more popular method and that is the one provided by default in the radio that makes use of 2 channels for a model that would have retracts and gear doors.
The way I use this method is on a model with dual retract servos, front retract and main retract. The way the Sequencer is programmed when I toggle my Gear Sw. after a set delay the Front Gear will retract and moments later the Main Gear will retract. Now when I toggle the switch to drop the gears, instead of the Front Gear moving first the Main Gear moves first and once it's done moving the Front Gear will drop. This process is also timed faster than the Retracting time simple because in case of emergency I want the Gears to drop faster.

I will provide the SPM File and Video for this example in the next few days.
Another Example of Sequencer use is using the Sequencer as a Switch for a timed event.
The way I use this method is on another model with Flaps and LED light kit, I have the Landing Lights controlled via a channel. This channel is controlled with a combination of the Flap Switch and the Sequencer. What it does is when I toggle my Flap switch and the Flaps come down the Sequencer turns on the Landing Lights. When I return the flaps to their normal position the Sequencer will only turn the Landing Lights OFF once the Flaps have fully returned to their normal position (timed event).

I will provide the SPM File and Video for this example in the next few days.
This next example of Sequencer uses the Sequencer as a Switch for multiple mixes.
Now I found a YT video that shows this but the owner of the video may have had communication issues with HH/Spektrum or may not fully understand what was provided to him. The owner of the video has not yet responded to my messages but itís my understanding that he might have just received an SPM file from Spektrum who provided him with the base mixing for what he has posted and what I have re-created along with my tweaks for myself on a future setup not yet finished.
Here is the YT video mentioned above :
Multi engine start up and idle sequence on Spectrum DX18. "Experimantal stage presently" (7 min 31 sec)
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Mar 28, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
Multi-Motor Sequencer Mixing Programming

This Sequencer programming would be or could be used on a model with multiple engines/motors. What it does is allow for a SCALE start-up of each motors on a delay and out of sequence.
The following example and SPM file will show a scale start-up of Motor 1, 3, 2 and then 4. The motors in the SPM file are connected to the Throttle channel (motor1), Aux 3,4&5 (motors 2,3&4)
The SPM file also has the throttle trim all the way UP for simulating motor idling. Throttle Cut as been activated on Sw.H in the down position since I have all my front facing switches AWAY from me and my top switches DOWN.
So the result is once the radio and model is one you have no throttle response on any channel (motors)
Toggle Sw.H UP and after a small delay and within a timed event Throttle/Motor 1 will come up, then Aux4, then Aux3 and then Aux5.
Toggling Sw.H back down enables Throttle Cut and Shuts down each motor in a delayed fashion reversed of the starting sequence. The starting sequence in my example takes place over 10 seconds but the shutdown takes place over 6 seconds.
Here is how:

You first need to assign each channel’s input to INH. Access the System Setup, Channel Assign and Channel Input Config screen, INH each channel that you will be using for your multiple motors.
The Sequencer #3 is used only to provide timing. You can change the duration by adjusting the time only. No need to touch anything other than the first page (I think I use 10 seconds or so).
In my SPM file I have renamed the Sequencer to THR in reference to the multiple throttles being created.
Each engine/motor needs 2 mixes. The first Mix THR(channel) > Aux# is based upon the time in the sequencer. Note that switch THR (Sequencer #3) looks like a 5-position switch. Enabling the mixes in specific positions is the key to getting the channels to respond in a specific time and of course different sequence then the next channel and so on
If motor #2 is on in Mix/Sequence position 0 then motor #3 will be on in position 0 & 1 and motor #4 will be on in position 0,1,2. Which motor starts when is up to these mix positions.

The second Mix sets the Off position of the throttle/motors . Notice the -100% mixing of ON > Aux#. “ON” is a pseudo-input that is always in the 100% position.
It needs to be active in the opposite positions of the previous mix.
So if motor #4 is on in position 0,1 & 2 that means it’s OFF position for this Mix is 3 & 4.

The mixing examples are:
Throttle to Aux channel for extra motor.
THR > AUX5
100% 100%
Trim: Act.
Sw: THR (Sequencer#3)
Position 0

The Off position
ON > AUX5
-100% 0%
Sw: THR (Sequencer#3)
Position 1,2,3,4

So basically since the Sequencer has 5 positions it sort of looks like this:
On / OFF
0 / 1,2,3,4
0,1 / 2,3,4
0,1,2 / 3,4
0,1,2,3 / 4

In the SPM file Flight Mode also has been enabled using a combination of the Sequencer and Throttle Stick position analog switch SIMPLY to provide On Screen naming of the current stage of the motor channels.
When Throttle Cut Sw:H is active in the down position the main screen displays Motor Off, when the throttle cut is disabled and all AUX channel are responding to the throttle stick with the throttle stick in the lowest position the FM will display Motors Idling because here the original YT poster mention having the motors spinning at low RPM to simulate scale motor running and I have done this using Throttle Trim. As soon as you move the Throttle Stick from the lowest position the FM will display Motors ON.

These can be change to suit individual needs of course.
This SPM file provided here today is my creation and has only been tested using the servo monitor screen I will post a video tomorrow on a setup with 4 motors just to prove the concept.

Tuesdays Dec 4th Note #1 The above 6 mixes for the Sequencer control Throttle channel and the other motor channels are all created starting from the last Mix List # and up, the reason for this is that the bottom half of the mixing list 9-16 have limited options compared to the first 1-8 mixes. Example 9-16 DO NOT have Expo setting in Curve Mixing.

Tuesdays Dec 4th Note #2 When you first import the SPM File, the radio will return to the model screen after it's finish importing the file, You MUST reboot the radio in order for some of the programming to take affect. If you do not reboot and scroll to the mixes you will see the mixes with the Sequencer as a switch all show up as INH but still function, a reboot is required for all features/programming to activate properly.
Wednesday Dec 5th Note #3 Video showing Multi Motor Sequencer and SPM file in Action.
WARNING: USING CHANNELS OTHER THEN THE THROTTLE CHANNEL TO CONTROL ESC/MOTOR/ENGINES ON A RECEIVER THAT DOES NOT HAVE PRESET FAILSAFE WILL CAUSE THE OTHER CHANNELS(MOTORS,ENGINES) TO CONTINUE OPERATING ON THEIR LAST POSITION IN THE EVENT OF SIGNAL LOST. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

B-17 030413A (6 min 49 sec)

B-17 030413B (1 min 8 sec)
Last edited by freechip; Mar 04, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,337 Posts
Now you need to build, I mean FINISH, a B-17 ...

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
I know. One of the reasons why I did this thread, the other being the PAY IT FORWARD thanks to Cherokee Flyer.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
643 Posts
Darn! All of this good stuff to read and learning to do and doggone work keeps getting in the way! Guess I need to work on winning the lotto or something...... Subscribed.
mejmea is online now Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
So here is what the SPM File above looks like on the servo monitor screen, tomorrow I will post the SPM File and Sequencer on a 4 motor test setup.

On initial Power Up the model has Throttle Cut enable and Flight Mode is named Motors Off.
Once you toggle Throttle Cut switch Up/Off, the Flight Mode is now named Motors Idling, one by one starting with motor#1, motor#3, motor#2 and motor#4 will all go to the throttle trim position. Throttle stick now has full control of all 4 motor channels and Flight Mode will show Motors On when throttle is moved away for 0%.
When Throttle Cut is enabled, one by one starting with motor#4, motor#2, motor#3 & motor#1 will all shut down and no longer be control by the throttle stick and Flight Mode will show once again Motors Off

Tomorrow's video with the 4 motor test setup I will talk and explain what is going on for those they may not quite understand what is going on simply by viewing the servo monitor screen video.

Spektrum DX18 Sequencer (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by freechip; Dec 04, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:45 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,382 Posts
Very cool FC.Maybe this will light a fire under my butt to finish my 90mm exceed F-18. Its going to use 18 channels.3 gear and 3 gear door.I will surely put the sequencer to extreme use.Ive kind of been trying to watch some videos and get the scale time and sequence down.
If anyone has specs for the scale speed/sequence of an F-18D landing gear please let me know.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
See Note in First Post

Tuesdays Dec 4th Notes added.

Using this programming for a multi-motor setup, one could also create another 4 mixes RUD > THR & all AUX channel used for the additional motors and easily create a differential trust for the motors.
Last edited by freechip; Dec 04, 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Updating
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:06 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Hello FC,

I see you ahve seen my video on Utube and have PMed on there. It's amazing that you have found a way to do this by yourself where as It took ne months to find a way to do it plus I had to get DX18. Even after that HH tech support team initially had no clue and know how how to answer my request, it was until I talk in great length with the manager there and explained him what i was looking for and how I wanted delay and sequence start up on 4 engine models such as my S Connie. He took couple of week and then recently called and said there team has the answer to my rquest but it's experiment at this time. Theu actually came up with 2 options.

Manual set up
Auto Set up.

Presently I have set my TX with manual set up and after this experiment is complete, I will try auto set up then. Difference between 2 set ups is that, on auto, all 4 engine start auto with delay up to idling power, where as with manual I have to flip on all engine myself with switch C and D. My sequence is 3, 4 , 2 , 1 where as any scale sequence can be programmed in.

Sam
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,337 Posts
It only took me 5 minutes to make the sequencer once Jeff and I talked in the hall, Sam. It's basic sequencer programming that takes advantage of the built-in features already present.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
Like I said to you on YT messaging Sam, it's just a matter of making use of the already available programming in the radio.

If you can try out my SPM file in the second post and see what you think about it. The idea behind using the sequencer is to make it simple. Have one switch do all the work. I like to play with my radio/programming and help others. It's what I do, some like it and some don't

I will post a video showing it on my test setup very shortly for you to visualy see what my file does. Glad you made it here.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
OK guys here's the video I made showing my SPM file of a 4 motor setup with scale delay startup sequence on the motors.
Spektrum DX18 Sequencer (3 min 9 sec)
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Nice work so far Chip, keep it up.
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It only took me 5 minutes to make the sequencer once Jeff and I talked in the hall, Sam. It's basic sequencer programming that takes advantage of the built-in features already present.

Andy
Andy

No disrespect to you and you can ask Jeff also that when I initially asked him for this, his answer was NO, then while talking to him, he even went through whole programmings including sequencing and said, nothing is there set up to do what I wanted and liked the Idea and wanted to leave it with him with No promises it can/will happen..... Maybe Its that time frame when he talked to you after taking to me as his team and you guys came up with this set up. It was then couple weeks or a week later that Jeff sent me a email with details how to do it, and also called me stating, our team has come up with new programming to do this and he sent me email with 2 ways of doing it, manual and auto.....

So as I understand at this time both Jeff and I are in experimental stages right now to see how this will actually work, now that my DX18 has faulty HF module, its not binding with any receivers as it was confirmed yesterday with Jeff and has to be sent it for repairs to you guys, I can't continue on this till TX returns.....

From FC video clip its proven that auto mode is already functioning and functioning perfectly on a quad, so I have good feeling that manual mode will work also....

You guys have no idea how happy I am with creation of this set up, It had taken me many tries using many different external ways to get here but none were working, I just knew such a high end radio has to have this feature n it's great that Jeff listened to my requests and understood what I wanted, I even sent him a programming sequence email for Groupner 12 channel radio one of my friend in Germany uses on his 12 channel radio to do this, so such a high end radio as DX18 has to be able to do it....maybe it was this moment in time that true capability of its powerful programming came out to us......
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
... From FC video clip its proven that auto mode is already functioning and functioning perfectly on a quad, so I have good feeling that manual mode will work also. ...
The only reason why I used a QUAD is because it was the only thing already setup with 4 motors. I disconnected the ESC's from the Quad Controller and connected them to the receiver.