Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:05 AM
Earth's Mightiest Hero, KC9TBO
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Apr 2010
284 Posts
Question
ESC, Inductance, and FPV Gear

I understand that inductance is an issue with extended battery-to-ESC connections and that a series of capacitors installed in line to the ESC offers a solution up to a point. I have a typical EasyStar FPV setup and am wondering if I may have an unrealized inductance issue. The flight battery connects to a small extension (approximately 6 inches) that connects to an Eagletree Systems eLogger V4. The ESC then connects to the eLogger. Does it matter if I have the eLogger between the battery extension and the ESC as far as inductance issues?

Thanks for your help!
Zahnarzt is offline Find More Posts by Zahnarzt
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,348 Posts
Anything that you put in-between the battery and ESC will increase the voltage ripple at the ESC. You would have to know the internal resistance of the eLogger and connectors and the maximum current to do the calculations.

What ESC’s do you have. If you have ICE ESC’s they will record the ripple voltage in flight.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:15 AM
Earth's Mightiest Hero, KC9TBO
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Apr 2010
284 Posts
Thanks for your quick response. I do have a Phoenix ICE Lite 75A ESC. Just ordered a Castle Link so I can check out the ripple voltage. Should be interesting. Thanks again!
Zahnarzt is offline Find More Posts by Zahnarzt
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:01 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I do have a Phoenix ICE Lite 75A ESC. Just ordered a Castle Link so I can check out the ripple voltage. Should be interesting. Thanks again!

Ripple voltage up to 10% of battery voltage (data logger numbers) is ok and wonít harm the ESC. Itís excellent if you can get it down to 5%.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man