HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
money is tight at the moment...but im happy with what i have for now....I do want to get a Zephyr2 and set it up for long range FPV....
If you're on a budget then set yourself up for short to medium range. Most of your off the shelf 2.4ghz radio controllers will get you out that far. It's just a matter of finding the right antenna setup for your video setup.

Even at Grid 8 where I'll be doing much of my 'extended range' flying you're talking a mile square box around the site. Something that is easily attainable by off the shelf parts and equipment. I understand the excitement about flying very far out as I've done it...There is plenty to do within a mile of a launch site. SEFSD, Grid 8, Dave's Beach, Otay Lake and Sorrento are perfect examples of that.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Joined Apr 2011
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
If you're on a budget then set yourself up for short to medium range. Most of your off the shelf 2.4ghz radio controllers will get you out that far. It's just a matter of finding the right antenna setup for your video setup.

Even at Grid 8 where I'll be doing much of my 'extended range' flying you're talking a mile square box around the site. Something that is easily attainable by off the shelf parts and equipment. I understand the excitement about flying very far out as I've done it...There is plenty to do within a mile of a launch site. SEFSD, Grid 8, Dave's Beach, Otay Lake and Sorrento are perfect examples of that.
Oh yeah for sure....i mean i am perfectly happy with my spectrum stuff right now and depsite all the negative comments ive seen here and there about how crappy it is...ive never had any issues what so ever with it...

I know that the Rx' s that have the satelite attachments do very well...i have two of them...in fact both are on my multi's....although I would like to upgrade to an AR 8000 to put in my easy* as it only has a small park flyer Rx in there right now. But it gets the job done.

What are your thoughts on the 2.4 ghz boosters for the Tx's? I was thinking this might be a good interim until im ready for the other stuff...at least some peace of mind i guess.
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Not to mention that you mostly stay within these boundaries anyway. My FlySky has proven that it sometimes works better than the DragonLink and it's 1/3 of the price :-) Especially if you have tight space like on a Quad. I use the mini 4CH receiver that is full-channel PPM capable - so your tiny 4CH Full Range receiver becomes a 12CH receiver for the same price. Pretty awesome! ...and it works great - very stable!
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Oh did I mention that the FrSky has a acoustic RSSI on the Transmitter Module? You can hear before you fly out of range :-)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
you talking about the AP legs?

http://www.irisaerial.com/products.html

the dji props hub explodes and you can't get them balanced. Thr graupners film jello free at 1080p out of the box, thick hubs, direct replacement for dji stuff.... the big thing is there not slofly style so less energy is used to hover and you got more thrust using less power wide open

I'd fly apc 10x4. whatever before i'd mess with them dji props.

I fly blm land, the boundries are litteraly hundreds of miles
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
... and what is the difference between the Graupner and the DJI props? Do you feel the difference?
Reliablity...DJI props are notorious for exploding in mid air...Graupners are gonna be stiffer and an all around better product.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Where did you buy the Graupner from?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,305 Posts
Quote:
I made custom cables for my F450 so they are short and keeps the looks clean :-)

Only thing missing is now the Video Transmitter/OSD - will test GPS hold and RTH first :-)
Andy...very clean build!!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Where did you buy the Graupner from?
i dont actually own any...Kloner might be the better source, but i know that rc-drones sells them, and there are some other sites as well...and they are all gonna be priced the same so i wouldnt look for them to be discounted anywhere...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
the graupners are cheapest and fastest from gothelirc.com that rc drones place i've sat around a week before they tell me there out to find out,, slow. theres anotehr guy at addictiverc that has em but hes a few days to ship. Lou at gothelirc is fast.... order by 3pm or 4pm and there here in 2 days

v-east is the Graupner usa shop. There the same price but there shipping is crazy. buy anything and it's like $20 for ups ground plus a $4.95 handling fee.

http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplaycate...cat=Propellers

he has apc too if your still crashing,,,, better than dji. Gemfan seem to not explode, but man, apc been around a long time. I think somebody told me gemfan is apc,,,
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,305 Posts
Ive orderd from tony at rc-drones quite a bit and never had any issues with slowness...but ive also never ordered graupners from him...just minor things so that could be the difference...

But Gothelirc was the other one i was thinking of...heard great things about them....I have been exclusively running the carbon filled GF props and have been very happy with them so far...only thing with the carbon filled is that they do tend to be a bit brittle and will break if you have a good crash...but your crashing so somethings bound to break...better the props than something more expensive!!

i do want to eventually try the graupners though...GemFan now has actual carbon fiber props that look pretty nice too.....

I have the APC SF's on my Y6 and they seem to work well...just got some Zinger wooden props though last night in the mail that im gonna try out on the Y6...heard good things about them.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
What are your thoughts on the 2.4 ghz boosters for the Tx's? I was thinking this might be a good interim until im ready for the other stuff...at least some peace of mind i guess.
I've looked at the 2.4ghz boosters after Jordi tested it over at DIY-Drones. I've considered it considering it's only $60.

http://store.diydrones.com/2_4GHz_Am...amp-24-500.htm

Considering the risk of blowing up your transmitter.. I'll probably buy a FrSky transmitter and use that with a booster. I don't want to blow up my 8FG trying to hack it. I'll cross that road when I have the need to do it.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
I've looked at the 2.4ghz boosters after Jordi tested it over at DIY-Drones. I've considered it considering it's only $60.

http://store.diydrones.com/2_4GHz_Am...amp-24-500.htm

Considering the risk of blowing up your transmitter.. I'll probably buy a FrSky transmitter and use that with a booster. I don't want to blow up my 8FG trying to hack it. I'll cross that road when I have the need to do it.
hmm...didnt know that there was that risk...so the FrSky...there is already a booster that they sell for it?

I just dont want/need to get a new Tx...i like the one i have....and for 60 bux thats not a bad deal
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
i have a zII that might be right up your alley SD,,,, remind me to bring it out next time and show ya.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Well it's not the output power that makes it happen.

Spektrum is using a 200MW Transmitter - FrSky is only using 60MW Transmitter Power Output .. still FrSky systems achieve almost twice the range of a Spektrum.. why?

DSM2 is not a frequency hoping system and the hardware doesn't has a lot of filtering either - so it receives a lot more interference and reduces range by that - that's why they compensate with transmitter power - it's cheaper.

FrSky has a real frequency hoping system called "ACCST - Advanced Continuous Channel Shifting Technology" - which basically not only hopes between the 2.4Ghz frequencies, but also does channel shifting within each frequency - providing a much better protection for interference. On top of that, FrSky is hoping to 2380 Mhz - which is barely used by other ISM devices and far away from Microwaves (2450Mhz) - it's actually brand new and only open for a couple years now (due to overcrowding of microwaves). Also the FrSky is using multiple low and high-pass filters to provide excellent filtering on the Transmitter and Receiver side - especially if you go their telemetry-route (I would highly recommend that - even you don't plan to use it).

If you get a dipole antenna, you can achieve over 5 miles of flight range. I use a 8DBI Patch with the standard RX antennas and I flew over a mile with FrSky stock without RSSI kicking-in. Man you gonna love the RSSI audio notices - it really makes live so much easier :-)

So the key is that it's not only transmitter power but a mix between highly optimized antennas, good filtered antennas and optimized transmitting technologies.
Last edited by flyandi; Oct 10, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added