HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsaturbulence View Post
Hey Zephyr 70 owners and interested fliers. The volunteer modelers on the RealFligh web paget / www.knifeedge.com

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=17512

Go back to page 105(previous page) of this thread and try the Zephyr model for Realflight with my variant, or tweak accordingly and you will not be disappointed.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Think Twice before purchasing

I recommend that anybody considering purchasing this otherwise awesome aircraft be aware of two concerns.
1. There are no repair parts available now, or in the foreseeable future.
2. The package design has a serious flaw that does not allow sufficient crush space on either end. This has both ends of the fuselage within millimeters of the two sides -- so if any pressure is put on the side of the package the tail bracket is easily broken. Sufficient pressure will also break the hatch -- but this does not need to be enough pressure to crush or damage the cardboard box.

The result is you can receive an intact apparently pristine box with a defective product inside. Because no parts are available, Hobby King is not able to send replacement parts for the the foreseeable future. To use the words of Hobby King support, "To be quiet honest, it really will take some time for the replacement, but we will make every effort to get replacement from our supplier as quickly as possible. "

It's now been a month since Hobby King determined that they would replace my fuselage and hatch -- however the items are not closer now than they were a month ago.

On the other hand, the first zephyr I purchased arrived in great shape and was an absolute blast...so much so that another pilot made me a trade offer I could not resist.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Aug 2004
19 Posts
Hi All,

I'm interested in the Durafly Zephyr but i am inexperianced with EDF's, and i'm hoping some of the more experianced people can help me out.

I'm looking into EDF's to get that turbine sound, performance does not have to be blistering, i just want it to sound great, and not the high pitched vibrating sound which i have heard before from low quality EDF's (A completely factory hobbyking Stinger 64 is one example i have heard)
What batteries/fan/motor/esc would you recommend for this aircraft with sound being the major focus? Change Sun seem to sound pretty good listening to you tube videos and prices seem reasonable.

For information i have Turnigy 3S 3000mAh batteries already, left over from my Multiplex Funjet Ultra, if i could reuse them that would be great, but not essential

Thanks in advance

Matt
streetdragster is offline Find More Posts by streetdragster
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Don't mess around with hobbyking service too long if they are giving you the run around. If you used paypal, use their service and file a dispute immediatly. Give Hobbyking a date, say a week after your initial email, to set things right or you will open a paypal dispute and reclaim your money. Paypal has helped me in every dispute i've opened against fradulant sellers or businesses that don't want to hold up to their end. Don't feel bad for hobbyking. You work hard for your money and do not deserve a product like that.
I have taken your advice and all my current and future HK purchases are through paypal.

I lost my stock Zephyr on its first flight to destructive wing flutter that pulled the wing mount out in normal flight with only a 3S pack. Much major runaround and hiding behind policy later, they did the "reviewed by supervisor/denied" move and closed my application.

I know people don't mean anything bad by it, but everytime I see a wing-flutter post I see a "mine does no tflutter" reply. IMHO the wing is clearly on the edge of working/not-working. A foam wing this thin made out of of foam and a sort-of-spar is not a good design to handle the stresses and aerodynamic forces of speed when loaded.

There really is nothing in the structure that stops it twisting. Try it with your hands, or even better your fingers. It is soooo easy to twist. I learned a lot about flutter from my slope racing days. Unless the wing-panels were torsionally stiff they would self destruct at speed. We skinned them with FG or veneer and bagged them with epoxy vac systems.

But I digress, I got no satisfaction last time so thank you for the paypal tip for teh next time. Much appreciated.

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Because no parts are available, Hobby King is not able to send replacement parts for the the foreseeable future. To use the words of Hobby King support, "To be quiet honest, it really will take some time for the replacement, but we will make every effort to get replacement from our supplier as quickly as possible. "

It's now been a month since Hobby King determined that they would replace my fuselage and hatch -- however the items are not closer now than they were a month ago.
Received the exact same quote from support myself....
I think that the main problem is that HK CLOSE the matter after talking to you whether the issue is resolved or not! I would suggest being a customer based business they have perhaps been issued a directive from Anthony to keep unresolved claims down to a certain percentage of sales? What better way to show the GM that this is happening but by closing the cases unresolved? It is just sweeping the probs under the carpet and I wish someone higher up the chain of command would address it. I really think that after 6 months of waiting to complete a plane supplied with incorrect parts that I am entitled to a full refund...
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Last edited by GavDorro; Nov 12, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,428 Posts
I have to say that I have, so far, been lucky with HobbyKing but, living in the U.S., I also decided that I won't buy any planes from them that I can't order from the U.S. warehouse. I have this recurring nightmare of my new plane at the bottom of a shipping container, under a load of bowling balls, and knowing that there is no recourse or resolution forthcoming. I can absorb the loss on a cheap servo or motor (though I have yet to personally receive a faulty unit) but just don't want to take the risk on an airframe. In short? Buyer beware!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Last edited by peterlngh; Nov 12, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Hi guys,
Have a problem maybe you can help with since I get the same service from HK you all get.
There were no ESC instructions with the kit and the motor was defective out of the box.

Any idea who makes the ESC or how to program it. I get noting but beeps. Move the throttle up and down like normal nothing.

Any ideas on programing it
Thanks
jetfolks is offline Find More Posts by jetfolks
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfolks View Post
Any idea who makes the ESC or how to program it. I get noting but beeps. Move the throttle up and down like normal nothing.

Any ideas on programing it
Thanks
1) turn xmitter on
2) Throttle trim at minimum
3) Move throttle stick to max
4) Turn on receiver/ESC...ESC will beep
5) Move throttle stick to minimum

Remove power to receiver/ESC for a few seconds, then power it back up. ESC will beep 3 times (cell count), then will give one longer beep (indicating that it is armed)

Motor then should respond to stick

NOTE: If you are using a Futaba xmitter, insure that channel 3 is set to "REVERSE"
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
1) turn xmitter on
2) Throttle trim at minimum
3) Move throttle stick to max
4) Turn on receiver/ESC...ESC will beep
5) Move throttle stick to minimum

Remove power to receiver/ESC for a few seconds, then power it back up. ESC will beep 3 times (cell count), then will give one longer beep (indicating that it is armed)

Motor then should respond to stick

NOTE: If you are using a Futaba xmitter, insure that channel 3 is set to "REVERSE"
Thank you so much for the information worked like a charm. Too bad Hobby King is not helpful.
Roger should pay more attention to his customers not just lip service
jetfolks is offline Find More Posts by jetfolks
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Received the exact same quote from support myself....
I think that the main problem is that HK CLOSE the matter after talking to you whether the issue is resolved or not! I would suggest being a customer based business they have perhaps been issued a directive from Anthony to keep unresolved claims down to a certain percentage of sales? What better way to show the GM that this is happening but by closing the cases unresolved? It is just sweeping the probs under the carpet and I wish someone higher up the chain of command would address it. I really think that after 6 months of waiting to complete a plane supplied with incorrect parts that I am entitled to a full refund...
Contacted Durafly on Facebook a few days ago. I got some encouraging news today. One week away from Zephyr parts being available, and those folks waiting for parts should see them shipped soon after.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfolks View Post
Thank you so much for the information worked like a charm. Too bad Hobby King is not helpful.
You're welcome!

Whenever you "install" a new ESC, or put one in a different airplane controlled by a different xmitter, you need to perform this procedure. the ESC needs to know the throttle range of the particular xmitter that will be controlling it.

Regards,

Gary
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:38 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Contacted Durafly on Facebook a few days ago. I got some encouraging news today. One week away from Zephyr parts being available, and those folks waiting for parts should see them shipped soon after.
Holding your breathe might not be a good thing to do....
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Holding your breathe might not be a good thing to do....
Certainly understand your point, but hope it's not correct. No ETA answer is bad enough -- a sin of omission, but an untruthful answer we're into a different level of ethics as that's a sin of commission.

I choose to believe they are ethical, but not horribly organized. Let's hope I can hand onto my naivety.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Zephyr V-70 has been reviewed on RCGroups

It looks like the Zephyr V-70 has finally been reviewed here on RCGroups..!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734840

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
Heli nutz
pakenham victoria
Joined Feb 2009
75 Posts
Can someone please tell me the CG on the zephyr
thanks
jamiep is offline Find More Posts by jamiep