HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila Guy View Post
Thanks Mike. As I said in an earlier post, I have not done r/c xc yet, only going on what I have read here. The examples I have seen show the course relative to roads and I assumed that you had to follow the roads and not cut corners.

Scott
You're welcome...You gave me a chance to make my point a second time ..

Mike
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalSeeker View Post
You're welcome...You gave me a chance to make my point a second time ..

Mike
And sometimes I don't get it as quick!!

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
Pat Chewning
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Sep 2009
298 Posts
1. AUTOPILOT : NO
2. Airspeed automatic control : "Cruise control" -- maintains set speed. Speed set by pilot. NO
3. Gyro stabilizer: NO
4. Video telemetry: YES
5. GPS telemetry: YES
6. Airspeed telemetry: YES
7. Vario telemetry: YES
8. Altitude telemetry: YES
9. Flight computers: YES

This is just my opinion. I'd like to keep it simple with only two rules:

A. ANY DEVICE THAT PROVIDES ANY INFORMATION TO THE PILOT: YES
B. ANY DEVICE THAT AUTOMATICALLY CONTROLS ANY SURFACES ON THE AIRPLANE: NO
pchewn is offline Find More Posts by pchewn
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
152 Posts
Hi. just to post my blog update. I would be happy to receive some comments. Thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=65963
zenoid is offline Find More Posts by zenoid
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoid View Post
Hi. just to post my blog update. I would be happy to receive some comments. Thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=65963
Pretty cool.... I think you're going to want accurate airspeed and altitude to make that polar magic really work. Looks great!

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:16 PM
Webmaster & Newsletter SVSS
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
Spektrum STi

I ordered some of the new Spektrum STi telemetry stuff yesterday. I should have it installed and evaluated before the XC contest on the 24th/25th.

I bought the on-board transmitter, the airspeed module and the iPhone/iPad adapter. There are other modules applicable to gasses. I'm told by Spektrum people that a vario module and a GPS module are in testing and will be available soon.

Here's what I got;
Transmitter
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...module-SPM9548
Airspeed module
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cator-SPMA9574
iPhone/iPad adapter
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

The iPhone app is already available through Apple iTunes store as a free download.

The iPad app has been submitted to Apple and is pending approval.

At the Apple iTunes store look for Spektrum STi.

I'm anxious to see what this does. See ya at the first XC contest of 2012 at SVSS, where Cross Country is King!!

Dudley
Dudley Dufort is online now Find More Posts by Dudley Dufort
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:25 PM
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
Correction on STi for iPad

I just went to the Apple iTunes Store and the iPad app is released.

Got it!
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Very cool, Dudley. Looks like a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Dufort View Post
I ordered some of the new Spektrum STi telemetry stuff yesterday. I should have it installed and evaluated before the XC contest on the 24th/25th.

I bought the on-board transmitter, the airspeed module and the iPhone/iPad adapter. There are other modules applicable to gasses. I'm told by Spektrum people that a vario module and a GPS module are in testing and will be available soon.

Here's what I got;
Transmitter
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...module-SPM9548
Airspeed module
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cator-SPMA9574
iPhone/iPad adapter
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

The iPhone app is already available through Apple iTunes store as a free download.

The iPad app has been submitted to Apple and is pending approval.

At the Apple iTunes store look for Spektrum STi.

I'm anxious to see what this does. See ya at the first XC contest of 2012 at SVSS, where Cross Country is King!!

Dudley
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:38 PM
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
Spektrum STi

It took about three hours to do the install for the airspeed indicator.

Pretty simple and straightforward installation. I put the pitot tube in the fin about 2/3 up from the fuse. Soldered in 5 feet of four-conductor wire to reach from the sensor, which is mounted in the fin, up to the instrument bay.

Plugged everything together. Followed the "binding" instructions and it worked right off the bat.

Today I took the MXC out to the field, great air by the way, and flew it using both my iPhone and iPad as the ground based instruments.

Very pleased!! The airspeed indicator works great. Cruse is about 25 MPH. A high speed pass hit 92.

Can't wait to get the vario and the GPS modules.

Dudley
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
At the AMA Expo I asked who was their most knowledgeable rep who could discuss STi telemetry and I spent about 45 minutes asking questions. The telemetry module works with iPhone, iPad, and even iTouch. As Dudley mentioned, new sensors are on the way. In addition, I asked about the data display. I didn't just want current readings, I wanted plotting like you get when you download altitude data. The rep smiled and assured me that it was all on its way, and soon. He also mentioned the Apple iTunes submission process. This was new to Horizon having an outside company review and approve their products, but he felt that after a few hiccups, this would become much faster and smoother in the future. I also asked about range, and was told that the effective range was about 2 miles.

I did a writeup for the SVSS newsletter. I'll append the STi section below.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:39 AM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
...Horizon Hobbies had one of the largest booths at the show. I wanted to talk to their representative about telemetry and also to let them know that the customer support that I received was exceptional. Over the holidays I had my DX7 transmitter upgraded from DSM2 technology, which uses 2 2.4Ghz channels, to DSMX, which uses agile frequency hopping across a range of channels. I had been experiencing some signal dropouts and short range-checks on some of my planes, and after the upgrade many of my range checks have now more than tripled in distance. The Horizon technician replaced a number of my receivers and satellites at no charge.

I think that in a few years telemetry will alter our flying landscape. GPS tracking not only will allow us to track our flights and locate downed planes, but could also be used to notify civilian and commercial aircraft of our location during flight. In-flight power monitoring will quickly alert you of low battery situations, and could identify and warn when power drains by faulty servos or extreme maneuvers is placing a strain on the flight systems. I have learned that human perception is especially limited by distance, so having tools to help us improve our senses will make us better pilots.

For my questions on telemetry, I asked among the Horizon reps and they quickly introduced me to their expert on the subject. I currently use an altitude data logger to record m flights and I upload and review the data when I return from the field. I believe that feedback is crucial for learning a skill, and that getting immediate feedback is better than having it delayed even a few hours. My key interest is to use altitude telemetry as a tool to improve everything from how to improve my launches, to how to better read lift during flights.

I first wanted to learn the range of the telemetry systems, and the full-range module has a 2-mile effective range. Plenty or range for sailplane use. I have an older iPhone, and their receiver module will work with this as well as iPad tablets, and even the iPod Touch. The current software gives the altitude as a number or on a dial, and I was interested in having plotting, so you could track your altitude history, not just your current situation. I was assured that this capability was under development and new software features will be arriving shortly. One interesting note was that since these are applications that are available for download from the Apple Store, they have to go through the Apple software approval process. This was a challenge for Horizon’s first release, but now that they are familiar with the process, they believe that subsequent releases will be easier and quicker to get through approval. I will be following these developments and may write more about this in the future.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellias View Post
My opinion is, in general telemetry should be allowed but with a few exceptions. Those exceptions being any telemetry whose primary function would be to allow control of the glider without the pilot in visual contact with the glider. So this would rule out video, turn and slip indicator, artificial horizon, etc. Anything that moves a control surface without pilot input should not be allowed. Based on those rules I would vote for the following:

1. Autopilot - NO

2. Airspeed control - NO

3. Gyro stabilizer or any other stabilizing device that moves a control surface without direct pilot input- NO

4. Video telemetry- NO

5. GPS telemetry - YES

6. Airspeed telemetry - YES

7. Vertical speed telemetry (Vario) - YES

8. Altitude telemetry - YES

9. Flight computer in chase vehicle to assist the pilot in utilizing any of the above telemetry. YES
I too like and have the same responses John. Would like to have the discussion though, about a rudder heading hold gyro for underpasses and tree canopies. I'm thinking in terms of a safety issue. We used to have these on our DLG's and are really only usefull for short runs of 10-15 seconds anyway.

I think we may be heading for a laptop computer in the vehicle to analyze changing weather. Any thoughts regarding on board weather models?

Scott
SlopeRC is online now Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Last edited by SlopeRC; Mar 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeRC View Post
I too like and have the same responses John. Would like to have the discussion though, about a rudder heading hold gyro for underpasses and tree canopies. I'm thinking in terms of a safety issue. We used to have these on our DLG's and are really only usefull for short runs of 10-15 seconds anyway.

Scott
Yes, I have the same thoughts about safety when is comes to tree tunnels and any obstruction that blocks visibility. A heading hold gyro on rudder would help make sure when you come out of the tunnel you at least have a good chance of re-acquiring visual. Losing sight of an 11 lb glider presents a safety hazard that we should do everything we can to prevent. I've personally had a few very scary experiences with these situations and anything that technology could do to help avoid them would be good.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2005
264 Posts
Allowing gyros opens the door to allowing devices that can control the glider without direct pilot input. I think the rules should be simple, clear and not open to interpretation. Someone may come up with a device that is gyro based but much more advanced than the typical gyro. There are many devices out there that can keep the glider stable when visual is lost. FMA has the infrared based co-pilot. This is cheap and from what I have read works quite well. Should this be allowed for safety reasons? If so what about other devices that are more advanced? Once we open the door to any type of autonomous control it may be difficult and/or arbitrary to define what is allowed and what is not.

A better solution is not have tree tunnels on the course, or at least tunnels of very short length. I realize that in some areas a short tunnel is unavoidable. In those situations there are actions the pilot can take to reduce the risk when going thru limited visibility situations. That is part of the skill involved in this sport.

Many years ago I tried a gyro sensing yaw and controlling roll. This was done in order to increase spiral stability. It did increase the spiral stability but I found the SBXC was already stable enough and did not benefit from the increase in stability.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
138 Posts
The rudder gyro on my DLG was a handicap and counter intuitive when reading air. I would shut it off as soon as possible after launch. Maybe a couple approved model/mfg and that's it. There is something to be said about being able to recover your composure after having your plane get "lost" for more than a few seconds !!!
SlopeRC is online now Find More Posts by SlopeRC