HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
That was a really cool video, thanks for sharing it! Wouldn't it be cool to add rotating cameras to a model? Something to think about...

It looks like the maiden day will be Sunday. Were finally coming out of two weeks soaked with rain and wet snow so I'm excited. I got the cowling together and added the cowl flaps. It just needs some bondo to fill the cracks then I can prime and paint it.

Just some final buttoning up to do!

Ethan
Ethan,

Tomorrow looks good here too winds light 2mph max and partly sunny. We are just a couple hundred miles South of you.

Best wishes with your maiden. You have flown a lot of other planes and this type should be no problem for you.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,901 Posts
She flew!

I got up early and go to the field at around 8AM. On the west side (Seattle) it was sunny without a breath wind but as soon as I crossed the lake some isolated showers (didn't even show up on the radar) and strong gusts came out of nowhere...after killing some time getting some spackle and paint it calmed down a little so I went ahead and flew it.

Even with a banana-shaped fuselage she flew great with only a few clicks of right aileron! The flying characteristics were nice and easy as I expected although the gusts made the turns and landings very tricky - as you can tell by my two landings that would probally fracture someones spine and a**! If you pause right when the plane touches down on the first landing, you will see what I mean Oh well my perfect maiden landing streak is now over

The second landing would have been great if I put her down two seconds before that gust came through...now I need to fix a strut tube in the wing and the wingtip. Oh well I have alot of stuff to do now anyways.

Now I'm off to paint that cowl

Tritle C180 Skywagon 'Tweto' Maiden Flight (3 min 40 sec)

Ethan (pictures coming soon as RCG fixes the 500 internal error - server overload?).
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Ethan,

Great maiden. Flying a 50" span plane with that light of wing loading in wind is always a challenge. Grass fields create even more issues. When I started flying off hard surfaces I stopped breaking struts and bending gear. However, with this plane the most realistic flying is going to be on rough ground....

On Tritle planes I started to lash the strut tubes on with spider line and use a thin sheet of 1/32 or 1/64" ply plate over the balsa where the strut tubes are mounted. That way they don't tend to tear off a take pieces of covering off with them. Are yours lashed down with spider line and CA?

Also, my experience with my Tritle Super Cub and C-172 is that 1/2 flaps in the wind are the most you would want to use and sometimes no flaps since your ground speed will be quite slow anyway. With gusts it is hard either way but I like a higher speed approach when there is wind.

The lights look nice and I especially like the landing lights, they show up really well even in the daylight.

Dave
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jul 2009
76 Posts
Well done! Congrats on your successful maiden flight. The plane looks great!
IndoorFlyerABQ is offline Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Ethan,

Great maiden. Flying a 50" span plane with that light of wing loading in wind is always a challenge. Grass fields create even more issues. When I started flying off hard surfaces I stopped breaking struts and bending gear. However, with this plane the most realistic flying is going to be on rough ground....

On Tritle planes I started to lash the strut tubes on with spider line and use a thin sheet of 1/32 or 1/64" ply plate over the balsa where the strut tubes are mounted. That way they don't tend to tear off a take pieces of covering off with them. Are yours lashed down with spider line and CA?

Also, my experience with my Tritle Super Cub and C-172 is that 1/2 flaps in the wind are the most you would want to use and sometimes no flaps since your ground speed will be quite slow anyway. With gusts it is hard either way but I like a higher speed approach when there is wind.

The lights look nice and I especially like the landing lights, they show up really well even in the daylight.

Dave
Dave - all the tubes are pinned down with a drop of medium CA, then lashed with fishing wire that is covered with thin CA. The actual tube didn't come off, the right wing slamming into the ground forced the wing up which tore off the piece of balsa the tube assembly is attatched too. Bad luck I guess! Next time I will use a ply plate on top. If you want to see what happens when you just glue the tube on, go to my YT channel and search 'Pilatus Porter Maiden' yep I have learned alot since then!

The closest club that has a paved runway is over an hour away so I am just going to hope the four motors will be able to drag along 2'' wheels on the DC-6. I have found anything under 2.5'' is hard but that is with taildraggers so maybe having a trike setup with 6 wheels will be better. Although I get lots of comments on how well the grass is maintained at my local club, it has cost me $200 worth of repairs on my H9 Corsair over the past year (now add another hundred for the nice Robart struts that I finally broke down and ordered) and many broken props from ground loops. So I know what you mean. At least the grass offers a nice cushion and scenic backround for my landings

@ IndoorFlyerABQ - thanks!

Ethan

EDIT: Added the pictures.
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:58 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
Ethan,
Nice work on your build and congrats on the maiden it looks like it will be a nice flyer.
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:18 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Ethan,

Pat uses very nice contest weight balsa in his short kits, which is a very good thing. However, on my super cub even with the spider line lashing around the strut tubes it would rip whole chunks of balsa away when they failed on a hard landing. That is why I would laminate some 1/32" or 1/64" plates to the balsa support piece. I guess I would rather break the lift strut rather than tear a hole in the wing.

I wish there was a good design for struts that would fall of before they break something. I don't think the are needed for strength although i could be wrong. I remember on your Pilatus you had a similar experience that a lot of people had where they wouldn't stay on in normal flight.

I got bored with my Super Cub pretty fast. So, the only way I could keep it interesting is to try and fly more an more scale like and then add in extremely short landings and precision spot landings.

I really think there needs to be a competition for model bush planes like the Valdez thing. I am thinking of figuring a way to add wheel brakes for just such a purpose. How about a Pacific Northwest version of Valdez?

Dave
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,807 Posts
Nice job! I don't think I would have flown in those conditions, but I know what it's like to want to maiden a new plane.

Gotta love these Tritle planes. Here's my Tri-Pacer after it's maiden last February!
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
Greenville, Wi
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
Great video. Got to put some real tundra tires on her. Oh, about 3.5-4.00 range.
Your flying is much better than I can do at the moment.
mag1 is offline Find More Posts by mag1
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,901 Posts
Reuben - thanks!!

Dave - I fully agree that the strut should fail before the wing and I wish there was a better way to do it. Going to put a piece of lite ply on the strut area whenever I get around to repairing the C180. I have no doubt I will get bored with this plane fast the main reason I built it was to get another Tritle design under my belt before the -6B and bush planes have always been my favorite - especially ones that have become famous on TV Also, there should definitely be a STOL fly-inn RC style. I will check with my full scale buds if there is something similar to Valdez around here (I think Arlington might have a short takeoff/landing competition in their fun fly) because there are lots of events out there that host model airplanes. The only problem is we would have to seperate out the Multiplex Fun Cubs because they are in a class of their own! I have seen lots of them at the field and they get off in a few inches!

Funny you mention adding small scale brakes to an aircraft. Just last weekand someone had a .25 or .40 sized PC-21 with brakes...I will have to ask him about how it works but I know the jets need them so maybe they can be scaled down without to much weight penalty. One of the biggest problems will be controlling them because with just a little to much, the model will easily flip! I always wonder how I manage to do that even without brakes

Steve - Thanks, usually I would never maiden in that kind of wind but the forecast said none and the freak gusts only came in after I took off :P Maybe Mr. Murphy wanted me to finish the decals first? Oh well the landing gear didn't break! Thats a great looking Tri-Pacer there! I already have a list of what Tritle plane I want to do next even though my next project will last me most of the summer. The Luscombe and T-Pacer look great but with that Songbird and Storch he is working on...so many cool subjects!

mag1 - Thanks for the complement. I have been looking at the Trexlers but they are a bit pricey ($60 including the pump). The Du-Bros are ridiculously heavy and I don't have the patience or tennis balls big enough to make my own. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Ethan,

The brakes have to be mixed with throttle so they can be set to let go before the plane noses over on short take off. Then it would also have a mix setting for landing so it could be proportional. One way I tested it on the simulator was to mix it with elevator for both landing and take off. Even the full scale guys in Valdez bend a prop now and then trying to take it to the edge.

There has to be a way to make it work. I really want to make a Valdez type event for scale bush planes possible if there is not already something like it out there.

Dave
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:49 AM
Greenville, Wi
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
Ethan,
I picked up a pair of 4.00 from Hobby King, I can't remember the weight. I put them on my trainer, Hobbico EP Superstar. roll's in the grass much better. Now if I can figure out how to get off the ground without pulling back to hard. just got it rebuilt, haven't gotten her out yet.
I was looking at the trexlers/duBro/Kavan's. It think they are all heavy. It's been awhile since I looked at them.
mag1 is offline Find More Posts by mag1